•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Binolux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tara0826

Tara0826

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Before I bought a pair of binoculars on Fb Marketplace I read a number of posts to CN forums. Now I’d love to get some feedback. They are like new Binolux 7x35 Extra Wide 11° No. K-745122. They have a JTII sticker and JB/JE numbers. When I look through them they seem to work as expected. The hinge grease is clean and not stiff. The seller had them in a like new brown Bushnell box shaped case w/out a strap. The binoculars have a “so new it’s still stiff” Bushnell strap on them even though they are Binolux. No lens caps included. I have pics, but couldn’t attach. I paid $20. 
I have 2 questions: How did I do? and What are they best used for? Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Tara0826, 24 January 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• Albie likes this

#2 dries1

dries1

Messenger

• Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

Tara0826,

First, Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Second to answer your question, if you have no eye strain, and the view is clear, with proper focus, look at everything, day and on a clear night. You will find what works for you. Regarding the model, there will be answers to your question soon I presume.

Regards,

Andy W.

• Tara0826 likes this

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

Tara0826: Do they have a plastic (hard) eyecup or the soft flexible rubber eyecup? Are the screws on the rear prism plates (the flat surfaces that face towards you as you hold them up to your eyes) a  flat head screw or a phillips head screw. What are the JB/JE numbers?  Is the view bright and clear when they are pointed towards (NOT AT) the sun? We are getting to the phase of the moon  will show a slight haze if the internals need cleaning- a full moon will show if they need work a bit better. If you have access to a LED flashlight, you can tell if the internal components might need cleaning- not at all unusual when it comes to binoculars that might be 50 years old. Does the focus move the eyepieces in and out easily? The grease can thicken with age... I think at this point, heck yes, you did good. Good  luck with them.  Regards, Pat

#4 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like you did fine. They are best used for cruising wide expanses of the Milky Way. This works best out in the country during new moon, and often in a lounge chair.  It might also work well as a finder along your telescope.

Edited by harbinjer, 24 January 2021 - 08:34 PM.

• Tara0826 likes this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

I think you did quite well at a mere twenty bucks! I paid four times that for mine which I like very much. They were my most used pair of binoculars last summer. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1C3E8832-383A-4E4A-8271-486750A856B2.jpeg

• Albie, WALL.E and shredder1656 like this

#6 Tara0826

Tara0826

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Tara0826: Do they have a plastic (hard) eyecup or the soft flexible rubber eyecup? Are the screws on the rear prism plates (the flat surfaces that face towards you as you hold them up to your eyes) a  flat head screw or a phillips head screw. What are the JB/JE numbers?  Is the view bright and clear when they are pointed towards (NOT AT) the sun? We are getting to the phase of the moon  will show a slight haze if the internals need cleaning- a full moon will show if they need work a bit better. If you have access to a LED flashlight, you can tell if the internal components might need cleaning- not at all unusual when it comes to binoculars that might be 50 years old. Does the focus move the eyepieces in and out easily? The grease can thicken with age... I think at this point, heck yes, you did good. Good  luck with them.  Regards, Pat

Hi, Pat. 
Hard eye cups. Philips head screws. JB 191, JE 17 or 17?  The grease is a little stiff, but I can turn the focus with one finger. Haven’t had a chance to check the innards as you suggested, but thanks for the advice!

#7 Tara0826

Tara0826

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

I think you did quite well at a mere twenty bucks! I paid four times that for mine which I like very much. They were my most used pair of binoculars last summer. Enjoy!

You may have paid more, but you got that gorgeous case and lens caps! The person I bought from found mine while cleaning out her sister’s house. She had them listed as Bushnell because of the case and strap. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#8 Rokkor

Rokkor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

According to this awesome resource:http://home.europa.c...cope/jbcode.txt -  the optics are made by Nikken Kogaku est. 1958 and the body by Otake Kogaku Kogyo est. 1950. Now they mean nothing to me but if the binoculars are good and you like them, that's all that matters. If they are fully coated and a magnesium alloy body then that's already a great start.

These ultrawides are most enjoyable for scanning a panorama of the night sky or tracking moving wildlife. If the view seems hazy or a lower contrast than expected, there may be haze on the interior prism faces - most old binoculars I've bought have been like this even if all the other lenses are clean. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 WALL.E

WALL.E

Ranger 4

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

Rokkor,

You've confused me a little. (Perhaps not that difficult).

Where did Nikken Kogaku enter in? They're listed as JB 117.

Was that a typo in the search? 

JB17 is listed as Otake.

Curiously, Jb191 is listed as both Seiwa and Yoko Sangyo.

Tara0826, you did REAL GOOD finding the nice old Binolux for $20.00!

I tend to follow the vintage glasses with interest.

Just wondering about clarification.

Eric

#10 Rokkor

Rokkor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:56 PM

Rokkor,

You've confused me a little. (Perhaps not that difficult).

Where did Nikken Kogaku enter in? They're listed as JB 117.

Was that a typo in the search? 

JB17 is listed as Otake.

Curiously, Jb191 is listed as both Seiwa and Yoko Sangyo.

Tara0826, you did REAL GOOD finding the nice old Binolux for $20.00!

I tend to follow the vintage glasses with interest.

Just wondering about clarification.

Eric

Yes a typo by me, I guess I was tired or reading two posts at once. Perhaps JB191 were the same company and reorganised at some point, Japanese companies change their names often enough.  

• WALL.E likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics