•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hosting a Big Dob in the Keys or Elsewhere?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Hi all:

I live just outside of Washington, D.C. under less-than-delightful Bortle 7/8 skies. I have a JP Astrocraft Sweet Sixteen that I will be outfitting soon with a new 16” f/3.7 mirror from Mike Lockwood. 

I am wondering if there is anyone or any organization that would be interested in hosting this scope somewhere in or near the Florida Keys and who would allow me to use it when I am in the area, which would likely be several times a year.  Under the right circumstances, I would be perfectly amenable to the host using it whenever they’d like when I am not there. 

As you can imagine, it is not cost effective to continually ship a scope like this back and forth, and I am not interested in driving it back and forth each time. 

I’m open to people’s ideas.  I’m not totally wedded to the Keys, but I would like it to be a location that would permit near year-round observing and that would be relatively easy to get to by air. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

I might be a little concerned about tropical storms and hurricanes in the Keys.  Seems like every 2-3 years on average they get hit with a big storm.  Might be OK if it were stored on 2nd floor or higher.

• Augustus likes this

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:40 PM

Do they not have storage rentals there?

#4 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

Just to clarify, I’d strongly prefer a situation where it was stored onsite at an observing location, rather than an off-site storage facility.  The scope is heavy and I would prefer not to have to transport it at all, other than to roll it out and observe. 

The beautiful thing about the Sweet Sixteen is that the wheels are permanently installed and the structure is so solid that all you need to do is tip it and roll it to wherever you’d like. 

Edited by jloweva, 24 January 2021 - 09:51 PM.

#5 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

Maybe connect with Southern Cross Astro Soc

Also Chiefland though its in north FL.

Edited by ngc7319_20, 24 January 2021 - 10:19 PM.

#6 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:06 PM

I wouldn't think a 16 is big enough to justify those kinds of accommodations. Permanently accommodating a 24" or 30" on the other hand? Yeah, maybe. A 16 fits in the trunk of a moderately sized vehicle even once you've thrown in all the things needed for a road trip and should take less than 15 minutes to set up. If you live in DC, you could drive to central PA or West Virginia which both have equally dark skies and are a whole lot closer and cheaper to access.

Edited by Augustus, 24 January 2021 - 11:08 PM.

#7 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:47 AM

That’s such a beautiful dob. A great combination of structure and optics. I hope you find a good spot for it.

Do you need a Discmounts DM4 or DM6? You could do a deal with Tom. Buy a mount from him and maybe he’ll let you leave your dob at his place in The Keys.

• jloweva likes this

#8 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

You might consider the Tucson area for your scope headquarters. It has drier and less salty air than FL, higher elevations, more sunny days, lots of daytime things to do, and a large, like minded astronomy community. Dark skies are a bit easier to reach from Tucson compared to Phoenix. You could join the TAAA and store your scope at either of their club sites. The Chiricahua (CAC) site is a bit far from town, but has a darker sky than the closer TIMPA site. CAC also has more creature comforts, and of course, the 40" StarStructure scope with the Lockwood mirror.

Edited by Don H, 25 January 2021 - 01:53 PM.

• jloweva likes this

#9 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Augustus:  You are a young man! In thirty years or so you will see what I’m talking about. smile.gif

Don H: I’d certainly consider the Tucson area. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve stayed at Arizona Sky Village several times, and highly recommend everyone visit at least once in their lifetime. Any suggestions as to whom I should connect with?

Allan: I’ve owned several of Tom’s creations and love them.  That’s a good suggestion. 

Edited by jloweva, 25 January 2021 - 03:57 PM.

• Allan Wade likes this

#10 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

Don H: I’d certainly consider the Tucson area. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve stayed at Arizona Sky Village several times, and highly recommend everyone visit at least once in their lifetime. Any suggestions as to whom I should connect with?

You can go to the TAAA website and email somebody on the Contacts page for more information.

http://tucsonastronomy.org/

• jloweva likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics