•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY 247C APS-C - QHY Medium OAG and Camera Question

astrophotography equipment imaging optics CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

I'm getting a used QHY 247C APS-C and have been thinking about adding the QHY Medium OAG right away instead upgrading later and having to mess around with all the shims people say they have to use.

My question is: Any one here use this combo and can recommend a good guide camera or what are the ones that don't work.

I was thinking of getting a ASI174 Mini Monochrome.

I'm a little intimidated hearing the stories of people only finding 1 or 2 guide stars with OAG.

Now that PHD2 has Multi-Star Guiding, I would really like to take advantage of this.

Thanks!

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

The guidestars from an OAG are gathered from the edge of the FOV and are often distorted.

PHD2 may not Autoselect one, but manually selecting and guiding does work.

With Multi-star, if the stars aren't Autoselected, you will have to manually select one, which cancels Multi-star mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, imaging, optics, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics