•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting My EAA Rig Back Together

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rustler46

Rustler46

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:47 PM

Recently I have downsized my OTA from C-11 to C-8, with a goal of easier setup and teardown. The C-11 will go into semi-retirement for a while, with my old 1985-era Celestron Super C8 Plus taking over largest aperture duties. But with a nice AT115EDT APO and EAA rig riding piggyback, there will be options, depending on my focus for a particular night's observing. 

Here is a recent shot of my workbench with the optical assembly in for servicing.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 5.26.16 PM.png

The Pyramid 5-amp power supply (lower left, used with my G-11 mount) is being tested for output voltage under load. For this I used a small inverter powering an AC LED light seen in lower right. The C-8 has refractor tube rings and EAA rig riding on top.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 5.27.24 PM.png

So here is the ZWO ASI290MC camera with 1972-era Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 lens. Full frame that fast lens gives atrocious star images in corners. But at f/2.8 it has proved to be excellent corner to corner. With the camera's tiny sensor it should give nice images in its 5.8° x 3.3° FOV. This will cover the entire Veil Nebula as well as such expanses as from the Orion Nebula to Horsehead & Flame Nebulas. And f/2.8 will give bright images. Also the short 55 mm focal length places minimal demands on tracking. 

I just renewed my SharpCap Pro license for another 14 months. So now I need a clear night. The next 10 days is predicated to be non-stop rain & snow in the PNW. So I'll need to exercise patience.

Russ

Edited by Rustler46, 24 January 2021 - 09:48 PM.

• Rickster, roelb, cmooney91 and 2 others like this

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

Very nice indeed. I’ve been going back and forth about how to upgrade my cheapo EAA rig, which currently uses a C-mount zoom lens on a planetary camera piggybacking on my C8. I think I’ve settled on going with a camera lens; I just need to find one that is (a) fast, (b) produces nice star shapes and © doesn’t break the bank.

But the other option is a guide scope, something like the 120 mm mini guide scopes from ZWO, SVBONY, or WO. It’s twice the focal length of my current lens at it’s zoomiest and ~ f/4, but I could always use a reducer. I already have a reducer, and the f/4 mini guide scope from SVBONY is only $53. For that cheap I think it might be worth a shot. For that matter, I have a 240mm f/4 guide scope on my Dobsonian. I could test that out for EAA before pulling the trigger on a new lens.

Sorry; didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Your setup just got me thinking out loud.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:54 AM

I just renewed my SharpCap Pro license for another 14 months. So now I need a clear night. The next 10 days is predicated to be non-stop rain & snow in the PNW. So I'll need to exercise patience.

Russ

Russ, Just curious on how you did a 14 month SharpCap renewal ? I thought they were only for 12 months, as Robin stopped doing the longer term ( 5 yr) renewals

#4 Rustler46

Rustler46

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

Russ, Just curious on how you did a 14 month SharpCap renewal ? I thought they were only for 12 months, as Robin stopped doing the longer term ( 5 yr) renewals

They have special going on where if you renew before the previous license expires, he adds two months to the regular 1 year license. I got a  notice that mine would expire on Feb. 20, 2021. For around $14, the new license expires April 20, 2022. Such a deal. 

• alphatripleplus and DSO_Viewer like this

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, Russ. I need to pay attention to that, as my license will expire in a few months.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics