•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD 800 - Moonlight CHL - COAG - FilterWheel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 damianvines

damianvines

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sedro Woolley, WA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:56 PM

EdgeHD 800 with the Moonlite CHL focuser with the Celestron OAG, with the ZWO EFW and a ZWO183mm. It’s tight but it can work. I didn’t need anything other than what came with the focuser, OAG and camera. Thank you to @cuivenor Cuiv the Lazy Geek for this inspiration and doing it before me. 
I can concur that this will work. Connected and measured, just need to star test but I have plenty of play so I don’t anticipate huge problems. Thank you @cuivienor for your post :) I’m racked out about 3.5 mm to 4mm on the Moonlite and I’m right at 105mm so I have room to get the backfocus just right, plus is more than enough room for the auto focus routine to move the focuser. This set up also leaves plenty of room for the OAG 174mini to focus along with the the 183mm main cam.
The whole reason for doing this is to bypass the stock focusing mechanism on the Edge HD, this enables me to permanently lock down the primary mirror on the edge HD 800 and negate (or way lessen) any mirror flop issues and a more well controlled and lasting collimation. I am using an auto focus motor, a Moonlite one paired to the CHL. I haven’t found previous EdgeHD autofocus options (bracket and motors) to be that precise and robust. Aside from maybe the feather touch by Moonlight, but I wanted to bypass the focus mechanism all together for the other reasons listed.

F119E110 7FEC 488B A849 FCAB75F10434

• cuivienor and Cfreerksen like this

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

EdgeHD 800 with the Moonlite CHL focuser with the Celestron OAG, with the ZWO EFW and a ZWO183mm. It’s tight but it can work. I didn’t need anything other than what came with the focuser, OAG and camera. Thank you to @cuivenor Cuiv the Lazy Geek for this inspiration and doing it before me. 
I can concur that this will work. Connected and measured, just need to star test but I have plenty of play so I don’t anticipate huge problems. Thank you @cuivienor for your post smile.gif I’m racked out about 3.5 mm to 4mm on the Moonlite and I’m right at 105mm so I have room to get the backfocus just right, plus is more than enough room for the auto focus routine to move the focuser. This set up also leaves plenty of room for the OAG 174mini to focus along with the the 183mm main cam.
The whole reason for doing this is to bypass the stock focusing mechanism on the Edge HD, this enables me to permanently lock down the primary mirror on the edge HD 800 and negate (or way lessen) any mirror flop issues and a more well controlled and lasting collimation. I am using an auto focus motor, a Moonlite one paired to the CHL. I haven’t found previous EdgeHD autofocus options (bracket and motors) to be that precise and robust. Aside from maybe the feather touch by Moonlight, but I wanted to bypass the focus mechanism all together for the other reasons listed.

It's tight but I have made it work too. Check your stars on the edges. I ended up out at 111.5mm with my .7 reducer to get good stars at the edge of my 1600MM. You will have to adjust focus with the mirror focus and then the moonlite until you have round stars to the edge. If too close, move the moonlite out and re-adjust with the mirror for focus, rinse and repeat.. Use the pic below to judge too close or too far. The 183MM will be a bit more forgiving than my 1600.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• backfocus.jpg
  • Backfocus stars.jpg

Edited by Cfreerksen, 24 January 2021 - 09:32 PM.

#3 damianvines

damianvines

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sedro Woolley, WA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:46 PM

Good to know, I had heard this, about longer than ‘normal’ backfocus, maybe from you :) I’ll start at 106 or so and successively work my way out and look at edges, thank you! The 183 is 6.5mm backfocus, the same as the 1600, right?

#4 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:11 PM

Yes. Good luck. You are going to love the Moonlite. Excellent piece of equipment.

PS the diagram is correct for SCT as well.

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 24 January 2021 - 10:13 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics