•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power Supply and Cable Management

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GeoffC47

GeoffC47

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Pa

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

I need some advice on power supply details for my setup, and am very new at this.

I am piecing together the ASIAIR pro (AAP), an ASI290mm mini guide camera, 3 dew heater strips, an Apple iPad, and my GM811G mount, working to supply power for remote observations from a Jackery 300.  I will probably be adding a small router to the mix to enable remote wifi operation. 

I'm determined to make this work with my Apple devices, w/out cables except for charging if needed. With all the above attached, it draws about 36-38 watts, which the Jackery unit should handle for 7 hours or so. I think it will work...

But the cables are everywhere!!  I'm looking to thin them out as much as possible. I've discovered that the AAP can power my dew heater strips with variable power if you select 'dew strips' from the power setup field in the app! Nice!! I can return the Astrozap dual channel control box that arrived only a week ago, keep the AAP unit and the dew strip cabling up on the OTA.

Questions:
  * I am guessing that the less cables I try and thread through the mount, the better, which means keeping the AAP unit up on the OTA.  Is that right? With the above setup, the only cables that need to down from the OTA are USB cable from the AAP to the Gemini 2 unit and the power cable from the AAP to the Jackery on the ground. The power from the Gemini 2 (below the mount) would also go down to the Jackery. So, 2 cables have to drop down from the OTA. The less the better, right?
  * Any recommendations on how to thread two cables through the mount?
  * any other recommendations on power supply with this configuration?

Thanks for any help...

Geoff Chapman

#2 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:18 AM

Moving to Beginning Deep Sky Imaging.

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics