•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Red dot finder not working?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Li Sun

Li Sun

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:46 PM

I’ve had a Starblast 4.5 for about a year now and have been very happy with it. However, the red dot finder that came with the scope stopped working recently, and replacing the battery didn’t help? Does anyone know what’s up with it and what I can do? Thanks!

#2 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

Long shot-do you have a volt meter-is the replacement battery dead-polarity reversed?

• havasman and Napp like this

#3 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:21 PM

I had a cheap red dot that after awhile the cover no longer closed tightly enough for contacts with the batteries to be maintained.

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:13 PM

My red dot is a little quirky too. I have to turn the power all the way up then back it down to a less bright level. If I turn it on low-medium it doesn't work scratchhead2.gif

#5 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: Flagstaff

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:22 PM

they are quirky - clean the contacts and battery with alcohol.  The types with the spring clips don't hold the battery firmly over time.  I have put a dime in these to tighten it up and they start working.

• paul hart and Jon Isaacs like this

#6 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:53 PM

Looks like it is an Orion scope and finder.  The potentiometers in RDF's can be quirky.  Play with the dial a bit to see if you can get it to respond.  Generally, I find these particular RDF designs to be more finicky in cold weather, but so far all have eventually recovered after flicking them a few times, reseating the battery, turning off and on a few times, "looking at them just right", etc.  If not, call Orion and make use of their warranty.  Generally, companies will send out replacement RDF's without requiring a return, etc.  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Li Sun

Li Sun

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for all your replies, but the finder really seemed to be broken as I tried all of the suggestion above without success. I'm calling Orion to make use of the warranty.

#8 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 29 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

All things wear out.

Probably the LED that projects the dot burned out.

I had a very old red dot sight I used for several years on my telescope. The light in it burned out.

I tried several of the ones folks here use. But finally went back to my Tasco Red Dot.

For one thing, it has the best low setting I found. Giving a tiny red dot that didn't mess with the star being aimed at.

Some of the other red dot finders were so danged bright they messed up your night vison!

Not to mention they were plastic POC.

Last year I went to a high quality laser sight and have put my red dot back in the gun safe.

I like the green laser so much, I bought a blue one and have it on my binoculars.

Both have momentary push button switches for instant on/off use.

#9 geoffl

geoffl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nr. Bristol, England

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:21 AM

One of my Celestron/Skywatcher RDFs started to become intermittent - sometimes working, sometimes not. I dismantled the body, and found a poor soldered joint where the wire from the battery attached to one of the on/off switch's contacts. It was not obvious visually, but I found it with a digital multimeter. I re-soldered the joint, and have not had any problems since.

Geoff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics