•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM40 Tripod options?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IllustriousOne

IllustriousOne

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:08 PM

I bought a used ioptron CEM40 off ebay without the counterweight shaft or tripod. I am having zero luck finding the missing parts in stock.
I am very new to all of this so I may be missing something obvious.
Are the tripods some sort of proprietary sort of mount / connection or can I use a different brand of tripod to connect my unit? If so, what am I looking for here?
I have reached out to ioptron for the counterweight shaft, but surly there are none ioptron options for that as well?

#2 rhart426

rhart426

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:09 PM

Tripods tend to be proprietary, but you can work around it easily enough with an adapter plate.  One side fits the tripod, other side fits the mount.  Depending on what you're working with dealers may have a solution in stock, or you may have to have something custom made.  I believe TPI will do custom jobs, but don't quote me on that; shouldn't be hard to find others.

Since you're using the CEM40, I'll put in a plug for the iOptron tri-pier.  It's quite sturdy and does a great job elevating the scope above the tripod legs, meaning I have to try pretty hard to crash the scope into them.  Kinda expensive but worth it!

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:45 PM

Ioptron tri-pier will work for your CEM40. I used mine for the CEM40 I have when I pulled my CEM60 For a clean and lube. A fairly rigid unit.

Chris

#4 adosaj

adosaj

Lift Off

• ****-

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:48 PM

I have a CEM40 and the 2” tripod.  The way the mount is affixed on the tripod is via the two bolts (that are stored on the mount) and they have a certain spacing.  You can find the spacing on the mount’s manual on iOptron’s site.  The other thing that is also handy, but not required, is a threaded hole for a pin (provided with the mount) to do fine AZ adjustment when polar aligning.  I say it is not required, but to be honest, it is VERY helpful for polar alignment.  I would say that your life will be much easier if you are able to find the actual tripod for the CEM mounts. The CW shaft is pretty much proprietary and finding it by itself will likely be very difficult.  You could put up a wanted ad in the classifieds for the two.  Sorry for very little help.

https://www.ioptron....EM40_Manual.pdf

#5 IllustriousOne

IllustriousOne

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. Y’all convinced me to get the tri-pier!
Now to find a dang cw shaft!

#6 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

If you don't want the tri pier you can get a 2" mount and I believe the c/w shaft both through iOptron. You can also get a 6" pier extension for $99 US through iOptron as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics