•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Simeis 147 (Harder than I thought)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

Here is my attempt at Simeis 147.  It didn't turn out as well as I hoped but I'm calling it a day on this one.  I had to crop the color version (HOO) tighter than I wanted to because of a reflection from a nearby bright star in my O3 subs.  The HA only version has the full field I was going for.  Also, I had a heck of a time getting the mosaic panels at the same brightness and I still see seams in the 4 panel mosaic.  I think the fact that you have to stretch this one so hard reveals a lot of imperfections.  Maybe I'll try this one again sometime with a wide angle lens so I don't have to do a mosaic.

Anyway, here it is and thanks for looking.  The object itself is very cool - a 40,000 year old supernova remnant about 3,000 light years from Earth.

-Tim

https://astrob.in/zvvrsa/0/

get.jpg?insecure

HA version:

https://astrob.in/zvvrsa/E/

get.jpg?insecure

• lukasik, dswtan, Scott Mitchell and 20 others like this

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:26 AM

That is an awesome image, Tim. Thanks for sharing your success with us.

Russ

• Tim C likes this

#3 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, it's a dim one. I spent 14 hours on two panel mosaic with FSQ-106 and QHY600 on this, still it wasn't quite bright. Sure you can shoot it with small and fast optics like Samyang 135mm F/2, but resolution will not be there.

• Tim C likes this

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:18 AM

Nice result despite it being a dim target.  I am in the midst of doing this very object using a Canon 200 mm stopped to f3.5 and a modified Canon T3i and a 12 nm Ha clip in filter.  So far only 2 hours.

• Tim C likes this

#5 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

thanks, look forward to seeing it.  I've used a Canon 200mm on a few objects with a DSLR, nice lens.

Nice result despite it being a dim target.  I am in the midst of doing this very object using a Canon 200 mm stopped to f3.5 and a modified Canon T3i and a 12 nm Ha clip in filter.  So far only 2 hours.

• Dwight J likes this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

Very nice image! One of the most difficult objects I have imaged!

• Tim C likes this

#7 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wallaroo Australia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

That's come up a treat Tim, yes, the Ha only shot looks excellent.

I've always wanted to shoot this too....but was waiting to finally be in possession of the right camera lens to prevent having to do a mosaic smile.png

Mike

• Tim C likes this

#8 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

That's a great image, wonderful mosaic, well done
  • Tim C likes this

#9 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

I'd be super happy with that one Tim. Did you shoot it from home or go to dark skies?

• Tim C likes this

#10 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Scott - stayed home and shot this from the yard. It’s the only way I can get 50 hours on an object. I’m done with mosaics for a while after two in a row.
Tim

I'd be super happy with that one Tim. Did you shoot it from home or go to dark skies?

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#11 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Scott - stayed home and shot this from the yard. It’s the only way I can get 50 hours on an object. I’m done with mosaics for a while after two in a row.
Tim

Oh, 3nm filters... Yeah, that should definitely work from home. Somehow, I'm guessing my L-Enhance on a 1-shot probably won't cut it, but I sure want to try!

And yeah, 50 hours is amazing. Especially given the warther we've had in recent months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics