•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPad Slowness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jgbackes

jgbackes

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

I was out last night and my iPad seemed to take "forever" to respond to taps. Does the temperature have an effect on the performance of my tablet? Temp was down to the 40s.  I would press the screen and count to 8 before the action happened. Made it very hard to use.

jeff

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:59 PM

I can’t say if temperature was the issue in your case, but I have a bunch of issues with my iPhone while outside in the cold (albeit down to around 5-10 F).

#3 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: Flagstaff

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:17 PM

I have the same problem with my Android tablet when outside temperatures gets to the low 30s.  Apparently cold hands can effect the capacitance which triggers the touchpad.  I haven't experimented whether it is the tablet, my fingers, or both - but it quickly returns to normal if I go inside and warm up briefly.

#4 hornjs

hornjs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:11 AM

Yes, it was 12 this weekend at night, and my old 2 gen iPad mini even died on me and had 50% charge.  Had to bring inside to warm back up.  Second night it didn't do it but kept it in a coozy (old wool hat) to be safe.  

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:31 AM

You might be suffering from what UK owners of Evolutions and SkyPortal external WiFi accessories have known for a long time. Celestron WiFi uses the 2.4Ghz channel, and in the densely urban populated South of the United kingdom, this channel has become so cluttered with interference  it is almost unusable for telescope control. Smart houses where lazy folk cry "Alexa shut my curtains" or "Google turn on my central heating" are commonplace, all using the 2.4 Ghz channel. This clutter is now overwhelming. 

If downloading a movie a few "lost packets" won't matter. But they will kill connectivity with a scope. The 2.4 Ghz  channel is also prone to interference from nearby USB3 devices. I have a first generation  Evolution and have tried second and third generation Celestron WiFi dongles. All failed. I now enjoy 100% reliable connectivity (using twin computers and RDP) over the 5Ghz channel that Celestron doesn't support. It is time Celestron upgraded to at least 802.11ac standard and offered dual-band options. 

#6 jgbackes

jgbackes

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:16 PM

Noah4x4,

I'll try the hand controller next time using and see if I have better results. The Wi-Fi is so nice when it works :)

I do know I can't mix and match iPad and HC operation (which is too bad) but something that works is always better.

Thanks for the info.

jeff

#7 Majestikkal

Majestikkal

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:49 AM

It's been my experience that if you use the Hand Controller (HC), you have to stick with the HC. Or opposite with the iPad Controllers/Alignment.  Cannot switch back and forth between them. 

So I decided to use a Laptop connected (using the USB Mini-B to USB Type-A) to the HC. Never lose connection.

Attached Thumbnails

• USB_Connector_Types.JPG

Edited by Majestikkal, 09 February 2021 - 02:50 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics