•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO asi183 mmc-pro

CMOS equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 esanc001

esanc001

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:36 PM

Hello,

Today, don't ask me how I managed but I inadvertently while trying to connect the AC cable on the back of the camera, I managed to first by mistake, plug it into the USB input. The cable tip touch the pin on the USB and generated a spark and smoke came out.

The camera is non functional, it does turn on but when connecting usb to laptop windows complains about a surge on the appliance trying to connect.

Does anyone know if they would sell the motherboard when the USB, power etc... are housed?  I don't think the sensor or any other part was damaged.

Appreciate any input!

I know, dumb!

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

I've seen a spark or two but not the magic smoke, so I sympathize and empathize both. Why not ask ZWO directly or if you bought the camera from an bona fide dealer, the sort that has after sale support, give them a holler. ZWO is usually quick to reply. Good luck.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:22 AM

It's SOOOO hard to put the smoke back in. I'm thinking only ZWO can do it. Looks like a long trip on a slow boat...

#4 esanc001

esanc001

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:17 AM

Thank you both, I will reach out to zwo, I bought used so I dont know where it was originally purchased, guess is not as simple as getting the part! Clear skies!
  • Dynan likes this

#5 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:40 AM

Look here...; most likely you'll need a motherboard. Should call ZWO if you can get one and may be install yourself. Chances of sensor PCB getting damaged are low. Regards

#6 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

You managed to plug a round cable into a square hole, congrats on that I guess. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics