•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette Nebula - Simulated Hubble SHO or RGB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BrettD

BrettD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:13 AM

Hi

With the moon getting brighter, I thought Saturday night was a good time to try the zwo duoband filter for the first time, and the Rosette Nebula was my chosen target.

I only had enough time to get 39 x 240s frames (2.6 hours in bortle 5 @ f/5.9)

I didn't expect this to be enough time, and still intend to get more data when the moon isn't around (unfiltered for better star colours if nothing else)

With that said though ... I was quite pleasantly surprised with what I did get:

High resolution RGB

High resolution Simulated SHO

I first processed the data in APP as rgb, with the  "Ha-OIII Colour" algorithm, but then used the Extract algorithms to get OIII / Ha and 'mono', which I used as SII in a "simulated hubble palette"

Either way I will gather unfiltered data for the stars, but now I don't know if I should continue with the duo band filter when I get more data for the nebula, or go unfiltered and blend it in with the narrow band data as RGB, and pursue more the RGB type nebula colouring?

Which do you prefer?

Rosette-duoband_tiny.jpg

rosette_SHO_2-lpc-cbg-St_tiny.jpg

Regards,

Brett

• mikewayne3, PirateMike, retroman2 and 3 others like this

#2 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:50 AM

Do what makes you happy man!

• rexrobichaux likes this

#3 rexrobichaux

rexrobichaux

Explorer 1

• Loc: Glen Allen, VA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Being red-green colorblind you'd think it'd be a wash for me either way, but I find I actually tend to like the modified SHO palette as the contrast with the vibrant blues make features more visible to me than they are in an equivalent red or HSO / HOO shot. I love either- and do what looks best to your eyes! 

#4 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

Especially given the subject's namesake, I like the first better.  Don't see many roses that have the colors of the second. 

Mainly, the first seems to emphasize the nebula, while my eye is drawn to the center hole the second.  I'm somewhat red/green deficient as well, but I don't think that matters here.

But, as noted, this is also art.  Both are beautiful.

#5 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

For my eyes the red image shows more depth in the middle..

#6 fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

I just ordered this filter and am new to OSC cameras, been using DSLR no filters.

Question using the duo filter, what is better practice as far as processing a OSC image run with a duo band filter:

Do you process as an RGB "normal" OSC capture?

Or do you process as separate Ha and Oii channels?

And what would the end result look like in comparison? 

I'm not familiar with APP (or what the Ha Oii algorithm entails) but just got into PixInsight.

Great pics, I prefer the red one better for this subject!

#7 BrettD

BrettD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:08 AM

I can't speak to pixinsight as I haven't used it, but processing as a "normal colour" rgb image is ok, and will give a result like my first image.

I'm sure pixinsight has a way to extract the red and green + blue channels to re combine any way you can imagine!

On reflection I think I prefer the red OSC version myself, but was a fun experiment, and like always when you experiment, I learned a whole lot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics