•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette Nebula Attempt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seanboon

seanboon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:38 AM

Hi,

I managed to capture the Rosette Nebula this past week, even though it was pretty close to well lit moon in the night sky.   I'm using a Nikon D750 (not modded) and the Optolong L-Extreme.   Unfortunately with this attempt I had to move my gear before I could take my flat frames and I bumped into something while moving the gear so the flats didn't handle the dust motes.  I was also shooting in my front yard where there are street lights and home lights.   All of that said, I'm pretty happy I was able to capture the nebula with some detail.  I know I'll get a lot more detail when my ASI294MM pro arrives later this week.   This is 26 3 min subs captured at ISO 800 for a total of 78 mins.     This is some of the best FWHM data for me as it was in the 6.0 range.   Not great by other standards, but I'll call it progress.  I processed this in PixInsight using the Mitch's 1 hour complete processing tutorial.   The part of the image that was the most issue is the surrounding background.   It was really red and I ended up doing a CurveTransformation just targeted on that area to try to remove as much as I could.  I'll upload the data here shortly so if anyone wants to work with it, please feel free to do so.   Feedback on areas to work on appreciated.

Stacked files from Pixinsight will be here as soon as they finish uploading.  https://drive.google...NnT?usp=sharing   By the way, when folks post their data is that typically the file set they post?

Attached Thumbnails

• rosette_start_ABE_done_sampled.jpg

Edited by seanboon, 25 January 2021 - 03:26 AM.

• Andrewf, divers, chrysalis and 7 others like this

#2 Professor2112

Professor2112

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

Nice job especially for an unmodded DSLR!

• seanboon likes this

#3 the Elf

the Elf

Gemini

• Loc: Germany

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

Downloading your data. The file is huuuuge. There is no point in packing the rejection maps into the file. Only save the integration. There is no point posting the calibration masters because you (hopefully) have already applied them to each single sub.

Here is a quick processing:

Rosette.jpg

• moonrider and Professor2112 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics