•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GEM 45 has arrived

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

My GEM 45 has just turned up.

First impressions are very good. After reading a lot about the LiteRoc Tripod being a little too "lightweight" I was very surprised to unpack a very sturdy looking tripod. Still need to put an OTA on it but it looks up to the job. Maybe on a windy night with my SCT on it I will change my tune.

Looks very well made certainly a step up from my HEQ5 (which has served me very well but it does not give the impression of being a quality piece of engineering).

The current GEM45 is actually the GEM45G without the camera. The saddle has been changed so it is now a true dual saddle with no need to swap stuff around to go from a Vixen to a Losmandy.

I was a bit surprised not to get any manual with a such an expensive piece of kit. I know I can download one but still.

The PE reading looks very good staying under 5 on both the positive and negative side. The paper its printed on now says its a GEM45! I will use PHD2 to check this if the skies ever clear again.

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

• RNSpeed, eros312, ewave and 3 others like this

#2 readkonrad

readkonrad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Looks great indoors, can’t wait to find out how it works outside! I’m starting to seriously look for a mount in this class and would love to continue to hear your thoughts and experiences with the GEM45. Keep us posted!

#3 polslinux

polslinux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vicenza, Veneto, Italy

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:36 PM

Same here! Please keep us posted :)

#4 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:43 PM

I’m jealous, I have ordered the CEM 40 and waiting.

#5 MikeCrapo

MikeCrapo

Explorer 1

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

So it comes with the G head without the camera. I am wondering if you will open the front G cover and tell me if the optics are in there or not.

thanks 

Mike

#6 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:29 PM

If the guider compartment is empty, maybe you can store quarters in it to pay tolls and buy sodas.

#7 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:39 AM

Already opened it up to take a look. Empty.

Connected easily to my Ekos setup (Pi4). So now just waiting for those elusive clear skies!

• polslinux likes this

#8 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:07 PM

I just got my GEM 45 on Monday. That is awesome now I have to wait at least 10 days for clear skies.

• limeyx likes this

#9 vsn

vsn

Explorer 1

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:39 PM

I just got my GEM 45 on Monday. That is awesome now I have to wait at least 10 days for clear skies.

I also got the GEM45 2 days ago.  I ordered GEM45 and looks like I also got GEM45G without guide camera.  By the way, I did not get any weight, not sure they ship separately. Hopefully it is coming. The instruction manual missing and online also has the old version. I am stuck at saddle instruction and not sure if I have to change the configuration Vixen. Anyone know? 

Edited by vsn, 11 February 2021 - 03:31 PM.

#10 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:57 PM

5EFB5C36-CE59-4B4E-9A32-DCA220EED5D2.jpeg

My  GEM45’s  saddle has the guider hole without the scope. My suspicion is by default all the saddles are the same. If you order specifically with the guide scope then I guess it is installed but it looks like all of them have the same housing on the saddle. You do not need to change the bracket on the saddle for a vixen plate now, it is a universal plate and it excepts both different plates

It looks like the earliest that I’ll be able to take it out will be next Saturday the 18th

as far as the weights when I ordered my mount from Woodland Hills they did not have the counterweights. So I told them to send me the mount without the weights thinking that it would be real easy to order the counterweights. After researching I found it difficult to find the counterweights so I called IOptron. They told me that the counterweights were in very short supply and they indicated, they did not have the 11lb weights. On their website they still indicated that they had some 5.5 pound weights and they told me to order them very quickly so I did. I did not expect them to be shipped out so in the meantime with our local club I found somebody that had an extra weight that he sold me and low and behold that very same day Ioptron indicated that they were shipping me two 5.5lb weights, so I lucked out. I would call every Telescope store in the country and hopefully you can find some, my suspicion is that maybe some of the stores have them now. Good Luck

Edited by mphotog, 11 February 2021 - 11:05 PM.

#11 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:12 AM

Finally managed to get the mount outside. Got 6 hours of M51 last night using 300 sec exposures. Reasonably happy with the results.

Guiding was very steady but my stars are slightly egg shaped, must be something out of line in my optical train as I first took a few shots of the Bubble Nebula at 300 seconds and they were perfectly round.

I do have an iPolar question. The orientation of the ipolar is wrong. I have to alter the Az on the mount for up down movement on the screen and the Dec for left right. I have recalibrated but that did not help. I am wondering if they mounted it incorrectly?

Edited by rishigarrod, 12 February 2021 - 02:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics