•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Happy Early Valentine's Day! Rosette Nebula / Caldwell 49 in SHO

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rexrobichaux

rexrobichaux

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Glen Allen, VA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

In the spirit of upcoming Valentine's Day, here's my take at the Rosette Nebula resembling a rose from space. This was a blast to capture over the past week as we were treated to several clear nights over a week ✨ (that's essentially unheard of in Virginia it seems). It's been a while since I've done a proper narrowband image with each filter so watching this come together in processing was really gratifying.

The Rosette Nebula is about 5,000 light-years away and can be found to the left of Orion in the constellation Monoceros (the Unicorn). The bright stars in the core of the nebula are known as NGC 2244 and contain several O Type stars. These are some of the hottest and brightest stars known.

This shot is in SHO where Hydrogen gas is mapped to green, Sulfur gas is mapped to red, and Oxygen is mapped to blue.

About 9 hours' worth of data went into this shot- 2.5hrs of Hydrogen, 2hrs of Sulfur, and 4.5hrs of Oxygen. Lastly, about 10 minutes of data were captured to retain natural star color and added back in at the end after it was passed through starnet++ by a friend for star removal.

Captured through my TSO 130, Zwo ASI294MCPRO Camera, Zwo narrowband filters, TS .80 reducer, all riding on my EQ6-R mount. Captured in APT, guiding with DSS, processed individually in Startools, combined in Photoshop, stars removed in Starnet++, final touches in Lightroom.

I hope you enjoy this rendition of our cosmic rose! 

Detailed specs can be found on my Astrobin: https://www.astrobin...0akpia/?nc=user

med_gallery_300588_10263_657529.jpg

Edited by rexrobichaux, 25 January 2021 - 10:13 AM.

• darkstar3d, 44maurer, c2m2t and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics