•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Magazine Distribution

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

Hello All,

I have a subscription to S&T and have been having issues getting them delivered.  Does the USPS have something against S&T?  I have several other magazines I subscribe to and have no problems with delivery.

I never got my December 2020 issue, but was sent a replacement by S&T.  I did get the Jan 2021 issue but late, after January1st.  I still have not received my Feb 2021 issue.

I am in the Chicago burbs, is anyone else having this issue?  Is it a Chicago thing or is this happening elsewhere?  Maybe its just me!  Its getting old.

Doug

#2 darksky.fan

darksky.fan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:38 AM

No problems here.  S&T delivery may have been slightly delayed.  Considering the hours the local carriers were working and the loads being delivered I had no complaints.

• George N likes this

#3 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Never an issue with S&T for me either. Got my February issues almost 2 weeks ago. Maybe some heavy delays in your local post?

• esd726 and George N like this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:12 PM

I'm in very rural upstate NY and my S&T gets here routinely and reliably two or three weeks ahead of time. I tend to fault them on a number of things... but prompt delivery is not one of them! It looks like the big cities are suffering delivery delays across the board, often weeks or more. Somehow the infrastructure is failing and ... maybe the locals could explain what's going on? Other than the pandemic, which would affect all areas uniformly... I just can't think of anything that would especially stress the efficient functioing of our bustling big cities...   Tom

• esd726 likes this

#5 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

I have spoken with several people who regularly ship items, personally or for a company, and many report significant delays with the USPS.  I know that our letter carrier is stressed out and working much longer hours.  In many areas of the country, the USPS is a mess.  This primarily is driven by COVID related staffing issues plus the huge increase in stay-at-homes ordering stuff from Amazon, etc.  This is a good time to show compassion for the many great folks who make up our postal service.  May I suggest a smile and a 'Thank You.'  A home baked cookie would work wonders.

Edited by Sandy Swede, 25 January 2021 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

No problems here in cross-border Canada.. already received my March copy. waytogo.gif 

But have seen shipping delays going through Chicago hub (west bound) since Christmas.  Also through the New York hub.  My wife's cousin who is a carrier for USPS in NJ has been swamped, pulling double shifts since before the holidays.  Apparently no sympathy from the management either.

#7 greenstars3

greenstars3

Messenger

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

I had my March issue delivered last week, a problem occurred when ownership changed but that seems to have been sorted out last Nov - Dec 2019 when lots of people had problems. It may be that your sorting machine  at your local USPS was on the hit list.

Robert

#8 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:46 AM

I'm in very rural upstate NY and my S&T gets here routinely and reliably two or three weeks ahead of time. I tend to fault them on a number of things... but prompt delivery is not one of them! It looks like the big cities are suffering delivery delays across the board, often weeks or more. Somehow the infrastructure is failing and ... maybe the locals could explain what's going on? Other than the pandemic, which would affect all areas uniformly... I just can't think of anything that would especially stress the efficient functioing of our bustling big cities...   Tom

Anyone from Chicago/Northern Illinois have this delivery issue?  It's not that they are just late that I am worried about, they never show up.  I never got December or October issues.  I picked up the Oct issue at B&N.  Somehow I got January, and I'll bet money Feb and March will never show up.  Maybe I need to post a guard at my mailbox lol.gif

#9 RASutton

RASutton

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

I never received my November nor my December issues and called S&T and asked if they would have the missing issues sent to me which they did. The November issue arrived three weeks after it was resent from Des Moines, Iowa  and the December issue arrived six weeks later, again from Des Moines. I have noticed that the labels on the S&T magazines are extremely easy to remove unlike most of the other magazines I receive. I think that may be the problem. My February issue arrived with one third of the label's left side not attached to the magazine because there were no glue strips behind that part of the label. I remember another one of the 2019 issues came with the same semi-attached label. I have been a subscriber to S&T off and on, since the mid sixties and I have never had this problem previously including years in the mid sixties when I lived in the Netherlands. The March issue came and the label was attached with the same weak glue and the magazine's cover was frayed around the edges as if it had been slid across the floor.  I think the reason I didn't receive my missing issues is because the glue used to attach the labels isn't strong enough to withstand whatever it is that the Post Office does with them and they get peeled off. When I received the missing issues from Des Moines they came in a paper envelop. 

#10 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

Ok, now this is really strange, I just received a second January 2021 issue.  I did not request it, just came in yesterdays mail.  What is going on?  Still no Feb or March issue which some of you have already received.  Is there an explanation?

#11 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:03 PM

Could be someone in your postal delivery chain has become interested in Astronomy.

• JohnnyMac and Traveler like this

#12 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

Could be someone in your postal delivery chain has become interested in Astronomy.

Yea, I guess.  Does not explain with I got two Jan 2021 issues.  Starting to wonder if this is not just a USPS issue but rather something going on at S&T.  I'll wait until next week and then call and ask for replacement copies of the missing issues again.  I would switch to Digital only, but I am a software engineer and sit in front of a computer all day.  I don't want to sit in front of a computer to read S&T, guess I am old school that way.

• Lindhard likes this

#13 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

USPS has been having lots of issues/delays since October.

#14 Red Giant

Red Giant

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:15 AM

I’ve been a subscriber to both magazines for going on 3 years now.  I have never missed an issue of either one so far, however a little over a week ago I received the February issue of Astronomy and the March issue of S&T on the same day.

#15 Tim Hager

Tim Hager

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Milford, CT, USA

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

I've been a subscriber for 53 years and the January 2021 issue was the first one that wasn't delivered.  I requested a replacement and hopefully it will arrive any day.  

#16 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hasselt,Belgium

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:23 AM

There is a severe problem with the distribution of S&T in Europe. A lot of people complain of not receiving their issues. I did not receive the September and October 2020 issue but luckily S&T send me a replacement copy. I hate the idea of an uncomplete run of S&T as I have them complete from 1946 !

Now I did not receive the January and February 2021 issue. Hopefully it will get replaced.

Strangely enough I do not have this problem with Astronomy, so it must be a distributor problem. I hope S&T clears this out quickly as they are going to lose a lot of European subscribers... I love S&T too much to see this happening !!!

Edited by RogerLaureys, 03 February 2021 - 01:58 AM.

#17 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

There is a severe problem with the distribution of S&T in Europe.
<…snip…>

Well I called yesterday to get my replacement copies of the Feb and March issues.  The lady I talked to said there are no problems with them as far as the issues getting out.  She claims it is a USPS problem and she is likely right.  So I called my local USPS and they said they are having issues, however, she did say there have been some delays in the main processing hubs, like in Chicago.  My problem is not delays, I am not getting the mail.  Then she asked how the magazines were packaged and labelled.  When I described to her how that was done, she said she'd put money on the fact that the labels are falling off and/or getting damaged.  So this goes back to S&T being the problem, maybe then need to change the packaging and/or address labels....???  I do remember getting some issues with labels that were badly damaged and/or almost off the outer wrapper.  Hopefully they can look into this.  I hate to have to call for replacements all the time and hate to see them have to replace magazines for something so simple as a better address label.
  • RogerLaureys and BFaucett like this

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:13 PM

Well I called yesterday to get my replacement copies of the Feb and March issues. 
<…snip…>

If she is asking you if labels are falling off, they are definitely losing money with replacement issues, manual remailings, and disatisfied customers (whether they call to complain or not, they may just not renew!).  I would expect S&T to implement better sticking labels in the near future (possibly as early as the next issue - since it needs a short term/intermediate fix!).

• RogerLaureys likes this

#19 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hasselt,Belgium

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:07 AM

Well I called yesterday to get my replacement copies of the Feb and March issues. 
<…snip…>

In Belgium ( Europe?) the address label is on a large separate white page inside the plastic wrapping. So the labels cannot fall off. I think it's the distributor company RR Donnelley or shipping company who is having a problem. Not the post office in Belgium or the Netherlands. Otherwise I would not receive Astronomy without any problems... Complaints are only about Sky and Telescope. I hope they find a quick solution to this.

#20 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:59 PM

If she is asking you if labels are falling off, they are definitely losing money with replacement issues, manual remailings, and disatisfied customers (whether they call to complain or not, they may just not renew!).  I would expect S&T to implement better sticking labels in the near future (possibly as early as the next issue - since it needs a short term/intermediate fix!).

Well, I am at the point if S&T can't fix the address label issue or USPS can't get their act together, I am cancelling my subscription.  No sense in spending money for nothing, and I don't want just digital issues.  I like to hold what I am reading in my hands and and read it off paper, not a screen. I'm stubborn that way I guess.

#21 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:13 PM

I just looked at my current issue and the labels are held in place with the sticky silicone like adhesive used to hold new credit cards or gift cards in place. I shook the magazine and the label did not fall off even though one side was not as stuck as the other side. I also man handled the magazine throwing it about with other magazines and envelopes to see if I could knock the label loose. I could not get the already slightly lifted label to come off. The worse that happened was one corner of the label was lifted and bent over. This leads me to believe that when the mail is sorted by machine is when the labels are being pulled off and I don't think its any fault of S&T. Labels are not as firmly in place as they were before but they will not come off on their own from what I can see.

#22 geovermont

geovermont

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:30 AM

Mine have been arriving here in rural Vermont on schedule. No problems so far.

#23 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

I just looked at my current issue and the labels are held in place with the sticky silicone like adhesive used to hold new credit cards or gift cards in place. I shook the magazine and the label did not fall off even though one side was not as stuck as the other side. I also man handled the magazine throwing it about with other magazines and envelopes to see if I could knock the label loose. I could not get the already slightly lifted label to come off. The worse that happened was one corner of the label was lifted and bent over. This leads me to believe that when the mail is sorted by machine is when the labels are being pulled off and I don't think its any fault of S&T. Labels are not as firmly in place as they were before but they will not come off on their own from what I can see.

In Michigan, my labels for both Astronomy and S&T fall off while I am reading them.  When I was a kid-college, labels were glued on and you had to cut them off.

#24 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

The label issue seems like the best explanation for the delivery issues.  On my issues, the label is glued to the outside of the clear plastic wrapper, which is also another mystery, why are Michigan issues labelled differently?  On many issues, by the time they get to my mailbox, the label is almost off.  I don't know why I have missed as many as I have.  Perhaps the mail processing machinery in the Chicago area mail processing plants are old and harsher on the mail, who knows, just getting tired of it and don't like having to call S&T each time there is a problem to get replacements.  It puts the burden on them if its a USPS issue.  If its a label issue, S&T can you please address the issue. No pun intended lol.gif

#25 Galaxy Galoot

Galaxy Galoot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:46 PM

I, too, am having this problem with Sky & Telescope--not with issues arriving late, but with issues never arriving at all!  I live in the St. Louis area and never received my Nov. and Dec. 2020 issues. I did receive the Jan. 2021 issue, but have not yet received the Feb. or Mar. 2021 issues, and I suspect that they, too, will disappear down the rabbit hole. I have called Sky & Telescope each time and asked them to extend my subscription instead of sending me another copy. I do receive all my other subscriptions, including Astronomy, so the problem does not seem to be with the USPS but with Sky & Telescope. I have noticed in the past that the Sky & Telescope issue sometimes arrives with the address label half peeled off, so I suspect that the problem is with the label glue. I mentioned this to Sky & Telescope when I called them yesterday, and they said they are aware of the problem, but the person I spoke to did not know if anything was being done about it. The label on my March issue of Astronomy is definitely harder to peel off than the ones used by Sky & Telescope. I hate to cancel my subscription, but I may have to if the problem persists.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics