•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Odd Problem with PI and Amp Glow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:20 PM

I was working on a short series of M42 lights yesterday which included new flats and dark frames. I calibrated and stacked the flats (with recommended PI settings), and stacked the darks, as per the PI website. I am using a Hyperstar system with the ASI294MC Pro, my lights and darks were 60 seconds and my flats 3 seconds. I did not yet take new flat darks so I let PI scale my regular darks for flat frame calibration. After manual calibration, debayering, registration, and stacking of the lights I found that the amp glow signature of the ASI294MC Pro was still present as black pixels rather than white - apparently I subtracted it twice somewhere along the way, unless someone else knows a better explanation for it. I am going to try again later today and go more carefully through my settings. I have also had problems with WBPP, it has crashed my Mac every time I have used it recently despite all the upgrades and a cleanout of the Mac, so I am doing the steps manually. Any thoughts? Is this due to my lack of flat darks, or a mischecked radio box?

#2 gcardona

gcardona

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

You really need to take dark flats to get the correct bias information in the flats. You can't scale the darks on these cameras because of the non-linearity of the amp-glow, hence the need for dark flats.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

You really need to take dark flats to get the correct bias information in the flats. You can't scale the darks on these cameras because of the non-linearity of the amp-glow, hence the need for dark flats.

+1.

I also have had better luck removing the amp glow from my 183s when I do the steps individually, not with BPP or WBPP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics