•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrade to Redcat 51 or not?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stars n planets

stars n planets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

Hi

I have a 60mm altair lightwave triplet which is 420mm FL at F7. I use a 183mc pro. Will an upgrade to a Redcat 51 be a great improvement? I "great" is dependant on the individual but i want to get some view

Thank you

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Hi

I have a 60mm altair lightwave triplet which is 420mm FL at F7. I use a 183mc pro. Will an upgrade to a Redcat 51 be a great improvement? I "great" is dependant on the individual but i want to get some view

Thank you

Sure.  Send me your last five years tax returns, and allow me to read your mind.  <smile>

Like _many_ equipment decisions, just a personal choice, not one to be solved with a survey.

#3 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:14 PM

The Redcat has a FL of 250mm so do you want a wider field of view? or are you unhappy with the scope you currently have?

I was not aware that Altair did a 60mm APO they do a 60mm doublet F6 so not sure which scope you have? Are you using the field flattener with the Altair? if so I think you need to space this quite accurately to get the best results.

Personally I would not go down in aperture myself, I would be looking at something like a 80mm APO F6 which with a reducer would give around F4.8

If I wanted a FL of 250mm I would just use a camera lens.

#4 stars n planets

stars n planets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

The Redcat has a FL of 250mm so do you want a wider field of view? or are you unhappy with the scope you currently have?

I was not aware that Altair did a 60mm APO they do a 60mm doublet F6 so not sure which scope you have? Are you using the field flattener with the Altair? if so I think you need to space this quite accurately to get the best results.

Personally I would not go down in aperture myself, I would be looking at something like a 80mm APO F6 which with a reducer would give around F4.8

If I wanted a FL of 250mm I would just use a camera lens.

Wider,faster and lighter. The Altair is lightwave 60mm F7 triplet. I think its about 6-7 years old weights about 3.5kg

#5 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

If you want to go wider, faster, lighter then the Redcat looks a good choice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics