•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Failure on an Apogee CCD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raem

Raem

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Hi all,

A few months ago, I refurbished an Apogee Alta U47 camera from someone who didn’t use it anymore. The camera worked correctly until the USB cable has been plugged into one of the serial connectors, short circuiting its pins...

From this point, the camera switches on, the cooler and its fans work, but when I take an image, it replies a black frame with every pixel at zero. Except in fast digitisation mode (12 bits instead of 16 bits) for which the pixels have all 4095 DN value.

I opened the camera but I don’t see any faulty (burnt) component.

Has someone already encounter this kind of failure on this camera? It is very easy to plug square USB into RJ12 connector so I guess I’m not the first doing this.

Thanks!

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

Raem, apologies for offering the obvious - but, have you tried to contact Oxford Instruments/Andor (andor.oxinst.com) concerning your problem?

#3 Raem

Raem

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

Yes I contacted them but their investigation cost is too expensive for me (about 800€ only for the research of the failure). Moreover, they didn’t inherit electronic schemes from Apogee.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics