•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT65EDQ focus help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adosaj

adosaj

Lift Off

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:59 PM

Hi All,

I had a mishap a few months ago where I was not paying attention while backing out the focus on my AT65EDQ and the whole tube came out.  I was surprised that there was no stop for this.  In my haste, when I tried to put it back in I did not notice that one of the 4 strips of “teflon” tape that are around the main tube was frayed and blocked the focus tube from going back into the main tube. The section of tape that was frayed was where the focus lock is located.  I have attached an image to illustrate.  My “fix” was to remove the tape until after the bit that was frayed.  I decided I’d live without the focus lock - this is a really poor design, but I digress.  What I find now is that the focus tube wobbles and I can no longer achieve a good focus.

My question is, where can I get replacement tape?  I have tried through Astronomics, but they say that the factory is so backed up that they cannot get them to answer the question.  There is some filament tape available on Amazon that is used for drawers to make them slide easier, I am wondering if this might be okay.  Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Anil

Attached Thumbnails

• F49B9183-7889-4C73-9592-E7F88567A785.jpeg

#2 adosaj

adosaj

Lift Off

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

As an update - Fellow CN’er @PirateMike had a busted AT65EDQ and is shipping me the focusing part of his scope, so this should resolve my issue.  I’ll be very careful to watch for the end of travel on the focus tube from now on!  I still don’t know what material the tape is or where to get some for others who might in the same boat.  Maybe someone will be able to give that info in the future.  This is a great community, I hope I can pay it back in the near future!

Anil

#3 Gazpacho

Gazpacho

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: It's Vegas, Baby!

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:56 PM

Late, but this might help.  Search Amazon

T.R.U. UHMW High Impact Abrasion Resistant Slippery Tape with Acrylic Adhesive

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics