•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some advice

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

So. Im not sure if this is the right category but i couldnt figure out where to post this. I recently bought an item on classified for a hefty price. Communication with seller was good until I sent the payment. I havent heard from the seller since the 21st. He/she has not looked at any of the messages i have sent since the payment (paypal). I wont put any names or item on here because maybe there is a good reason for the drop in communication; ie health problems or such.

Its kind of stressing me out. Will paypal back me if things fall through? Am I overreacting? I have had so many good expiriences on the classifieds here and this is a very good community.

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Thank you.
  • scotsman328i likes this

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:36 PM

I wouldn't wait any longer to try to revoke your payment. My experiences have been that response was same-day always.  Good luck to you.

• scotsman328i and Fitz8710 like this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

So. Im not sure if this is the right category but i couldnt figure out where to post this. I recently bought an item on classified for a hefty price. Communication with seller was good until I sent the payment. I havent heard from the seller since the 21st. He/she has not looked at any of the messages i have sent since the payment (paypal). I wont put any names or item on here because maybe there is a good reason for the drop in communication; ie health problems or such.

Its kind of stressing me out. Will paypal back me if things fall through? Am I overreacting? I have had so many good expiriences on the classifieds here and this is a very good community.

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Thank you.

What kind of feedback does the seller have? Do they post on the forums, or simply buy and sell?

Were you promised a tracking number within a certain time frame?

Today is only the fourth day, after all. PayPal gives you a bit more time than that to submit a claim.

• Fitz8710 likes this

#4 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

I wouldn't wait any longer to try to revoke your payment. My experiences have been that response was same-day always.  Good luck to you.

I totally agree. I’ve never had this happen with all my purchases and sales on CN classifieds or other classifieds sites. Everything has been within a 24hr time period. Usually when someone is selling something, it behooves them to respond and ship the item out promptly. I would send him a final message indicating your intent to revoke payment if the seller doesn’t respond in 24 hrs, after that, revoke ASAP. 

• Fitz8710 likes this

#5 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

Yes, I realize I sound a bit blunt here, But better to have cash back in your hand and restart, than to loose it.  Perhaps the seller is legit, on vacation, in the hospital, etc. If that is the case, then there's nothing stopping you from going through the purchase again. But I do feel it's strange that the seller has been silent.. so if it were me, I'd play it safe, reduce my risk..

• scotsman328i and Fitz8710 like this

#6 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

Thank you all for the advice i will give him/her 24 hours then ill put in a claim.

This person started on here not too many months ago and has sold a few things. A few posts too. 1 bad review but it was a mistake.

Edited by Fitz8710, 25 January 2021 - 06:26 PM.

#7 jerr

jerr

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:07 AM

No response for 5 days on transaction that is substantial is beyond a warning bell.

No matter it is legit or not I would act.

#8 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:13 AM

No response for 5 days on transaction that is substantial is beyond a warning bell.

No matter it is legit or not I would act.

Yes, you’ve been beyond realistic about the deal now. Time to act...

• Fitz8710 likes this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

You should have heard from the seller with shipping information by now. If not, I would definitely place a claim through PayPal.

#10 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:50 AM

If you used Paypal (goods/service) you have plenty of time to file a dispute, however once you do their account is frozen which usually gets things "moving again".

#11 SloMoe

SloMoe

Soyuz

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

This sort of thing has happened to me too, not only here but other online deals, 

But just when I get fed up with waiting for a reply the item shows up.

And yes, some of the new sellers in our classifieds have never sold or shipped and don't know all the standard procedures, that's the price of dealing classifieds.

Some are good and some aren't as good, and I've had things sold out from under me while in the middle of a deal.

Paypal has you contact the seller, if no reply from the seller within 72hrs then it's a 30day wait for the refund from Paypal.

• wrvond and Fitz8710 like this

#12 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

I don't care who ya are, if you don't reply, it's time to act.

Legit sellers only need to see the money is available to ship.

And there is no excuse to sit on their laurels.

Once, I made a buy and waited. And waited. And Waited.....

Finally, I wrote. And waited.... 

Finally I got a terse reply from "A struggling single Mother, please be patient!"

Balogney. If you are in business, take care of business! It does not take that long to change a diaper, I've done many so I know.

I would immediately start the process to recover your money.

Also, I use >one< credit card for my dealings. That way if ca-ca occurs, it's a one call stops all.

And I don't hesitate to take actions.

There seems to be a lot of fraud taking place during these "Scientific Lockdowns" with hackers who have too much time on their hands.

Legitimate sellers don't hang you out after you show them the cash on the barrelhead.

Stop wondering and start acting.

#13 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

Completely agree Sonny

#14 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:57 PM

I was contacted by the seller today. He/she apologized and said the item was already shipped. Hopefully people will read this and realise that communication is key when selling items in the classifieds. Especially the money we spend here. Thank you all for the pointers and advice.

Clear skies

#15 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:04 PM

I was contacted by the seller today. He/she apologized and said the item was already shipped. Hopefully people will read this and realise that communication is key when selling items in the classifieds. Especially the money we spend here. Thank you all for the pointers and advice.

Clear skies

I love it when a plan comes together.

I'll be even happier when it arrives.

Did they give you a tracking number so you can watch it? fingertap.gif

• scotsman328i and peta62 like this

#16 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

Yes. Its the ultimate light pollution killer.. lol other than mono. Cant wait!

#17 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

Clear skies

Don't forget, you can rate the seller still also. dislike.gif

#18 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:01 PM

I will

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics