•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scratches on filters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmckow91

cmckow91

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe, la

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

I was wondering if anyone had scratched a filter before and kept using it? Did it effect your images? Stars? Usually I would find out on my own but it’s going to cloudy for a week probably two. The scratch is only viable under direct overhead light. Like under a lamp or so. It’s the optolong l enhance 2 inch. I don’t shoot very fast. F/5 max. Thanks

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

Couple light scratches will usually have no effect.  Typically the area in the scratch is microscopic compared to the OTA light cone footprint at the filter.  I guess if you somehow got the focal plane right at the filter, you might notice something -- but that will be hard to do with most eyepieces and cameras.

Edited by ngc7319_20, 25 January 2021 - 06:28 PM.

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

Try using the filter.

If the scratch cuts through the 'vapor deposition' or metallic coating you will have issues.

#4 cmckow91

cmckow91

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe, la

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:46 PM

Thanks. I didn’t want to have to buy a new one. For anyone wondering. I’ll post some frames once I get to image. Hopefully it works out

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics