•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Atlas of Mars: Mapping its Geography and Geology printing issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:04 AM

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else bought this book from Amazon or elsewhere?  

I have multiple pages with severe misprints, this is just an example page:

50876824447_110da02ed8_h_d.jpg

very disappointing and exceptionally poor QA.  Of course, now I will have to fight with Amazon for a replacement, not gonna be fun :-/

if anyone else has bought this book and had printing issues, can you please add to this thread?

#2 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:02 AM

I never had an issue with Amazon to return the product (even not damaged), especially if it was bought on Prime. I've return a couple of books with no particular faults, but not up to my standards of print quality. In your case, you have hard proof of bad print quality. I never experience Australian Amazon, but I've used US, UK, France, Germany and Japan with no issues. All of them had very flexible policy of product return, if it not up to par with your standards.

• turtle86 likes this

#3 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:21 PM

I never had an issue with Amazon to return the product (even not damaged), especially if it was bought on Prime. I've return a couple of books with no particular faults, but not up to my standards of print quality. In your case, you have hard proof of bad print quality. I never experience Australian Amazon, but I've used US, UK, France, Germany and Japan with no issues. All of them had very flexible policy of product return, if it not up to par with your standards.

well, the problem was/is that I bought the book from Amazon US, and they shipped to my US address (I use Comgateway).  This allows me to buy a bunch of stuff from US sellers and then have Comgateway consolidate the items into a singular box etc, thus saving shipping costs.  

Amazon Australia wants nothing to do with it.  Amazon US wanted me to ship it back to the US delivery address (Comgateway) and then they'd pay for the return shipping.  Not really feasible for me, since the shipping costs from Australia to the US would be more than the price of the book...

So, I made it very clear that if Amazon US can't or won't help, I'll file a chargeback on my credit card.  That got their attention and they ended up just giving me a refund for the entire purchase.  

Of course, I'm not really happy, since I have a dud book, and now have to source a clean copy without print issues again.  Amazon Australia has 1 left in stock according to their website, but I am wary of that, since Amazon's stock count is inaccurate at the best of times based on prior shopping experiences with them.  And, high prices I might add.  US price is USD $36 (around AUD $48).  Amazon Australia wants AUD $60...shipping costs are higher too on the Australian site.  Price gouging at its best.  

Oh, and as expected, my 1 star Amazon review has not been approved by Amazon...funny that.  Amazon is deliberately hiding 1/2 star critical reviews of many, many, many products, which I also suspect is in breach of US anti-trust laws.  I have actually filed a formal complaint with the ACCC on this issue since I do not live within US jurisdiction.  This is the 2nd 1 star review in the past 6 months (out of 2 reviews) that have been refused by Amazon.  

I am most unhappy with Amazon - their service and customer service has taken a massive nose dive in the past 12 months and these days I typically try and buy elsewhere and avoid them.  From now on, I'll be either getting most of my books from abe books or just simply EBay.  Amazon is simply sub-standard now in my eyes.  I guess Jeff [Bezos] must be desperate for more money...gotta fund the divorce somehow!

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:04 PM

is this a self published book by a supplier for Amazon?

edj

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

edj

Did amazon print the book, have a tier 2 print the book, or just find and ship the book?  Does Amazon do their own quality control before shipping?

#6 Keith NC

Keith NC

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

Dpastern,

Based on your attached photo not sure much was readable, but based on what you were able to read would you recommend the book ?

thank you

#7 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:44 AM

edj

I have absolutely no idea...

Did amazon print the book, have a tier 2 print the book, or just find and ship the book?  Does Amazon do their own quality control before shipping?

see above ^^^^

Dpastern,

Based on your attached photo not sure much was readable, but based on what you were able to read would you recommend the book ?

thank you

I only got the book yesterday, and only had a very quick look at it, but I would say absolutely yes!  

#8 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:25 AM

edj

Looks, like it's original print by Cambridge University Press, also, it's hardcover, PoD books are usually softcover.

Here is ISBN-10 : 1107036291, at least what I found on Canadian Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/1107036291

#9 troske

troske

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Albany, NY

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

My copy is nicely readable. But it has a noticeable crease or raised area in one corner of most of the pages. I ordered from Amazon (USA), but decided just to live with it. Loaned to a friend at the moment, so I can't photograph it. The book is a bit over my head, but enjoyable. I was hoping to find more info about what I see through a telescope. Turns out that albedo features don't necessarily have geologic significance. 

Tim

#10 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:45 PM

My copy is nicely readable. But it has a noticeable crease or raised area in one corner of most of the pages.

<...snip...>

mine also has a noticeable crease in one corner, almost like dog ears...like you, I can live with that aspect...but not the misprinting.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics