•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ask everyone, is there any offline control software for windows?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ranjin

ranjin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Malaysia

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:03 AM

Under windows, is there any software that can control the computer to take pictures by linking the wireless network card of the PC when there is no Internet? (Just like using the Raspberry Pi, operate through the browser link ip address)   Thank you!!~

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:52 AM

You will need to setup a local network with a WiFi equipped router. Use local IP addresses and the internet is not required.

There are many software programs that control your telescope/imaging. I am currently using TheSkyX but it is expensive. I think Stellarium is freeware and many members here use it.

Edited by MikiSJ, 26 January 2021 - 03:55 AM.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:43 AM

Stellarium is an excellent free planetarium program and the latest versions can control any mount that has an ASCOM driver. Some of these programs run only on Windows and some run on smart phones and tablets.

Camera control of course requires a separate application of which there are many both free and commercial, simple and very feature rich. SharpCap has a free and a pay version. FireCapture is free. In addition some camera makers have a proprietary software.  ZWO has a camera control suite but other programs also work with ZWO cameras . Mallincam and other Touptek cameras use ToupSky software.

#4 ranjin

ranjin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:14 AM

thank you all for helping me. Can you introduce some software that can be used for offline remote desktop?

#5 rhart426

rhart426

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:18 AM

Use Windows Remote Desktop.  You don't need an internet connection, you just need both computers connected to the same local network.  I have a wireless router in a box with the control computer that automatically powers up alongside it.  I can use it to wirelessly access the control computer whether I'm in the backyard or up in the mountains with no wifi or cell signal.

#6 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Skylab

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

I've used the remote desktop software ... TightVNC ..... for may years to connect my observatory computer with my desktop computer in the house. It will work between any version of Windows without an internet connection. It's robust, 100% reliable, easy to set up and use and it's fast. Best of all it's free!

#7 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

thank you all for helping me. Can you introduce some software that can be used for offline remote desktop?

If the computer that is taking pictures is running Windows 10 Pro, then you should use Remote Desktop as others have said.  There are other options (VNC, etc) but if the PC you are controlling is Windows, you should always use Remote Desktop...it is a native service in the WIndows operating system.  

It won't be exactly like using a Raspberry Pi, which can very easily create its own wifi hotspot; that makes connecting to it wirelessly dead simple.  Windows, however, makes it very difficult to create a hotspot, so that's why folks are also recommending a mini wifi router in between your imaging computer and the monitoring computer; it takes the place of an onboard hotspot ala the Pi. 

#8 ranjin

ranjin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:11 AM

Use Windows Remote Desktop.  You don't need an internet connection, you just need both computers connected to the same local network.  I have a wireless router in a box with the control computer that automatically powers up alongside it.  I can use it to wirelessly access the control computer whether I'm in the backyard or up in the mountains with no wifi or cell signal.

Ok! I will give it a try~ After all, this is a function that comes with win10 and should be very stable. Thanks~

#9 ranjin

ranjin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:12 AM

I've used the remote desktop software ... TightVNC ..... for may years to connect my observatory computer with my desktop computer in the house. It will work between any version of Windows without an internet connection. It's robust, 100% reliable, easy to set up and use and it's fast. Best of all it's free!

Oh! Your software is really great, I have installed it, it is very convenient. thank you!

#10 ranjin

ranjin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:15 AM

If the computer that is taking pictures is running Windows 10 Pro, then you should use Remote Desktop as others have said.  There are other options (VNC, etc) but if the PC you are controlling is Windows, you should always use Remote Desktop...it is a native service in the WIndows operating system.  

It won't be exactly like using a Raspberry Pi, which can very easily create its own wifi hotspot; that makes connecting to it wirelessly dead simple.  Windows, however, makes it very difficult to create a hotspot, so that's why folks are also recommending a mini wifi router in between your imaging computer and the monitoring computer; it takes the place of an onboard hotspot ala the Pi. 

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try more. I think everyone has helped me solve my doubts. Many thanks! Thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics