•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Moon from last night

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:28 AM

I’m still in the early stages with all this imaging fun, but I think this is my best effort yet.

3f2a7e29820874dc1af84f358e69cb6c.png

Edited by Psionmark, 26 January 2021 - 04:29 AM.

• Wouter D'hoye, Kenny V., John_Moore and 1 other like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:51 AM

I don't know what camera you used but was this image debayered (converted from a raw image with a color filter array to full color result)? It looks like it either wasn't debayered (and from a one-shot-color camera like a DSLR) or it was debayered improperly (maybe by using the wrong pattern for the debayer operation).

Except for that possible issue your image looks well exposed and reasonably sharp (although it could possibly be improved with a sharpening step, after you sort out the debayer issue).

• Psionmark likes this

#3 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

I don't know what camera you used but was this image debayered (converted from a raw image with a color filter array to full color result)? It looks like it either wasn't debayered (and from a one-shot-color camera like a DSLR) or it was debayered improperly (maybe by using the wrong pattern for the debayer operation).

Except for that possible issue your image looks well exposed and reasonably sharp (although it could possibly be improved with a sharpening step, after you sort out the debayer issue).

This was taken with an sv305. I must admit, it was almost an accidental shot - I'd earlier been imagining the Andromeda Galaxy with the same setup and just wanted a quick look at the Moon before calling it a night. When I aimed the telescope and saw the image I just framed it a little better and then grabbed it using the Snapshot (I think it's called that - not got it to hand right now) feature of SharpCap.

Debayering is something I need to learn about, so thanks for the heads up. Does this explain the "dot" pattern making up the image? I'm really very new indeed to all this, so please excuse the newbie mistakes smile.gif

Is there a "flow" one should go through to get better images? I'm slowly getting used to SharpCap, but I know from comments I've read here and elsewhere I've got a LONG way to go - but that's all part of the fun.

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Looks like your camera is based upon Sony's IMX290 sensor which is a one-shot-color camera with a Bayer color filter array (matrix). So, unless the images were debayered during capture or during some other part of your pre-processing then you definitely need to debayer your files to get color and a better looking "dot" pattern.

If you need to debayer then you'll have to read up on how to do that with whatever software you are using for the processing. I don't know what the debayer pattern type is for the SV305, but that should be documented somewhere. It MAY be GRBG ( __CHECK THIS LINK ON CN__ ).

Edited by james7ca, 26 January 2021 - 10:14 AM.

• Psionmark likes this

#5 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:41 PM

Looks like your camera is based upon Sony's IMX290 sensor which is a one-shot-color camera with a Bayer color filter array (matrix). So, unless the images were debayered during capture or during some other part of your pre-processing then you definitely need to debayer your files to get color and a better looking "dot" pattern.

If you need to debayer then you'll have to read up on how to do that with whatever software you are using for the processing. I don't know what the debayer pattern type is for the SV305, but that should be documented somewhere. It MAY be GRBG ( __CHECK THIS LINK ON CN__ ).

Thanks very  much for the info. I shall do some more reading. I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful and I’m learning new stuff every daysmile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics