•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first astronomical observation instrument

astrometry observatory optics
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Malaise

Daniel Malaise

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Thimister-Clermont, Belgium

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:54 AM

This is the only photo taken from the very first astronomical observation instrument that I developed for comets study, back in the 1960s. It was a spectrophotometer used to take profiles of comet heads in various spectral domains, for example remarkable free radicals CN, C2 and C3.

The conception had been made as part of my doctoral thesis, then I built the instrument at IAL Space in Liège and we installed it at the Haute-Provence Observatory near Manosque, France. But the rigid planning of the observatory allowed little observation time for random phenomena such as comets...

Luckily, I received an offer from the Ondřejov Observatory, near Prague, Czech Republic, to move the instrument there, where I worked with Dr Jan Hekela between 1969 and 1974. It was a beautiful time and I was very fortunate to learn about the Czech way of life.

You can see the full size photo on my astronomy blog.

Have fun and stay healthy!

Attached Thumbnails

• cover-image-article-astronomy-02.jpg

• robin_astro, Hubert, Astrojensen and 11 others like this

#2 robin_astro

robin_astro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:55 AM

It was a spectrophotometer used to take profiles of comet heads in various spectral domains, for example remarkable free radicals CN, C2 and C3.

That is interesting ! Is it published somewhere?   I did something that sounds similar  with Comet  2020 F3 NEOWISE last year 

I wrote a small piece on it for the JBAA

https://britastro.or...rnal_item/24438

Cheers

Robin

• Daniel Malaise likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:15 AM

Wow, Quite Impressive.

Welcome to Cloudynights!

• Daniel Malaise likes this

#4 Daniel Malaise

Daniel Malaise

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Thank you Robin, thank you Junomike!

Robin I have read your paper, first I noticed that you have the same name as the blues singer “Lead Belly” Leadbetter, I am a big blues fan smile.gif I also noticed that you still use the Angström, as we did in our time, but is the nm not the new normal unit? I thought so!

For the rest, very interesting paper… you did almost exactly what I was doing in Prague!!

I’ll try to find my paper back and keep you updated,

Cheers,

Edited by Daniel Malaise, 26 January 2021 - 03:03 PM.

#5 Daniel Malaise

Daniel Malaise

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

I haven’t found the general paper back yet, but the one describing the conception of my instrument. If you’re interested, I’ve updated it on my blog, you can read it or download it here.

Have a nice day,

• robin_astro likes this

#6 robin_astro

robin_astro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

Robin I have read your paper, first I noticed that you have the same name as the blues singer “Lead Belly” Leadbetter, I am a big blues fan smile.gif I also noticed that you still use the Angström, as we did in our time, but is the nm not the new normal unit? I thought so!

Slightly different spelling (I am a Leadbeater)  You would not want to listen to me singing the blues lol.gif  

Yep still plenty of astronomers using Angstrom (and erg/cm2/sec/Angstrom for flux) , even in publications

Cheers

Robin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrometry, observatory, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics