•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Astromaster 70az

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 BLS

BLS

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Manassas VA

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:34 AM

Awaiting your report on the diagonal with great interest. 

I have two Celestron refractors.  70mm and 90mm both with the plastic diagonal.  I think the reason that they ended up on Shopgoodwill was the threads on the diagonals breaking in two pieces.  They still work and I have seen a lot through them for my $ 75.00 investment for both.  

• JohnnyBGood and MaCheFai like this

#27 Jim1804

Jim1804

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh-Durham NC, USA

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:16 PM

Enjoy your setup! You can see a lot with a 70mm scope!

#28 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:24 AM

Good for you.,I was going to suggest the Vite 23+10mm eyepieces.,They sell them on e-bay for about 10$ each.,They have 62°fov and give up a fine view.,and they are very light weight.,keep us posted on how these work for you.,

Interesting, looks really similar to the previous SVBONY line I was looking at: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01JRVT738/ I suspect they're probably the exact same, just rebranded.

I went with this particular line because I saw a couple of comments mention bad eye relief on the orange ones. So, since this one offers 17mm relief and a bit more FOV, figured it was worth a few more $$. 

Will report back once this snow storm eventually moves out.

#29 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Awaiting your report on the diagonal with great interest. 

I have two Celestron refractors.  70mm and 90mm both with the plastic diagonal.  I think the reason that they ended up on Shopgoodwill was the threads on the diagonals breaking in two pieces.  They still work and I have seen a lot through them for my $ 75.00 investment for both.  

Well for now, I can say it fits the telescope great, and it's nice not having to deal with all of the wiggle due to my chewed up plastic threads. So this alone was worth it in my mind. The old one was such a poor design. I also like that it's lightweight, feels very sturdy, and seems very bright and clear. I'm looking forward to taking a look at some clear skies soon and will let you know! 

• AtlantaAstro likes this

#30 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

Also, for anyone looking to upgrade their astromaster, I came across this guy's thread, where he provided some really great detail and insight into why and how he upgraded. Highly recommend you take a look if you're considering it: https://stargazerslo...-improvements/ 

• clearwaterdave and BLS like this

#31 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

Wanted to report back now that I've had a few opportunities to do some stargazing. Overall, I'm very happy with both purchases and would recommend them if you're looking for a fairly inexpensive upgrade. And I will likely be able to use these should I upgrade scopes down the line. In my mind, a good investment either way. Here are my thoughts on each:

1) The diagonal was worth every penny. It's a perfect fit for the scope, is well built, and lightweight. The view is much brighter, crisper, and sharper. So happy I made the switch. 

2) The eyepiece is nice as well. The FOV is amazing compared to my other EPs. I am having one small and unexpected issue, but it's not exclusive to this particular eyepiece, but most wide FOV EPs. It's impossible to shoot a pic using my phone. I'm struggling, even with a decent phone mount. With the naked eye though, it's really nice, clear, and sharp. Side by side, there's no comparison to the 10mm celestron EP that came with it.

My biggest gripe with my set up is the mount. It's extremely difficult to find and manually track, even the moon! Planets? HA! Holding it at set points is nearly impossible due to the ineffectiveness of the screw lock mechanisms. Even if you try and overcompensate and lead the planet into frame and tighten it down so it doesn't move, it slowly begins to sag into a different position. I don't remember it being such an issue a few years back, so perhaps it's gotten worse over time. 

Here's are a couple of shots I took Tues/Weds this past week. The "Snow Moon" is really bright right now, but figured I'd still share. And as I mentioned, please excuse the poorly framed shots, I'm still trying to dial in my phone mount: https://imgur.com/a/dleuN0K

• SteveG likes this

#32 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Think about upgrading to a go to mount. I bought a used CG-5 ASGT from a local for about $375. Worth every penny for me. It’s go to and it tracks and keeps in the center of eyepiece. Sooooo much nicer. Congrats on the new additions tho! Glad that diagonal and EP are working out for you

#33 vrodriguez2324

vrodriguez2324

Sputnik

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:24 PM

Unless the diagonal that came with the scope looks very cheap and plasticy I wouldn't bother. It's just a flat mirror in there and that's very easy to manufacture. Better eyepieces do help though. Something in the 30mm range is good. There are lots of objects that are bigger than you'd think. Good luck on your choices waytogo.gif

+1 on the 30mm range eyepiece. 

I have the Celestron Powerseeker 70eq which is very similar to your telescope except it is f10 vs your f13.  

An inexpensive option is the GSO type 32mm Plossl. I have the Celestron Omni 32mm Plossl which I read is just a rebranded GSO. 

https://agenaastro.c...l-eyepiece.html

It is great, has clean sharp views, nice build quality, and provides the widest true field in the 1.25 inch format. I have come to really enjoy low power for scanning and enjoying the skies. As mentioned there is so much to look at that is framed much better in a wider field. M42, Pleiades, etc. When I find something I then switch out to higher power but I typically don't go past 150x with that telescope. 

I have an Orion expanse which is similar to the Sbvony Redline 66 or 68* eyepiece you purchased. Great value for the money and perform really well in slower telescopes. I have the 20mm and want to get the 15, 9, and 6. 

Edited by vrodriguez2324, 28 February 2021 - 12:26 PM.

• MaCheFai likes this

#34 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:53 AM

+1 on the 30mm range eyepiece. 

<...snip...>

I agree. I've been using the 20mm EP that came with it to search and then dropping in the new 9mm to view. And the 20mm isn't terrible, it seems to work well, but my main issue is the mount. Do you have similar issues w/ your mount? Any advice? Definitely not interested in dropping any additional money into this scope, as it's limitations far outweigh any upside you'd gain. 

• vrodriguez2324 likes this

#35 vrodriguez2324

vrodriguez2324

Sputnik

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:42 PM

I agree. I've been using the 20mm EP that came with it to search and then dropping in the new 9mm to view. And the 20mm isn't terrible, it seems to work well, but my main issue is the mount. Do you have similar issues w/ your mount? Any advice? Definitely not interested in dropping any additional money into this scope, as it's limitations far outweigh any upside you'd gain. 

My Telescope came with a 20mm and a 4mm. The 20mm was usable and actually not that bad but did eventually get replaced.

I agree with you that the mount is the weakest part of the set up. The EQ1 tripod and mount is small, rickety, and gets very shaky at higher powers. 

A couple suggestions that provided modest improvement for me. 

1. Don't extend the legs all the way. 

2. Add some sort of object to weigh down the tripod and mount to help tame the vibrations.

3. Don't place it on a hard surface. Dirt or grass help absorb the vibrations so they are not transferred to the telescope. I have artificial turf in my backyard, it works great. 

I use a 7.5 lb weight plate placed on top of the accessory tray. I have seen others use a gallon of water tied to a rope and hung from the mount. 

-Victor

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210301_185828.jpg
  • 20210301_185850.jpg
  • 20210301_185855.jpg

Edited by vrodriguez2324, 01 March 2021 - 10:44 PM.

#36 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:53 AM

For the weight issue I use this Vangaurd Stone Bag: you hook it to your tripod and put 5-10lbs in there. It also doubles as some extra storage!

Vanguard SB-100 Stone Bag https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

#37 MaCheFai

MaCheFai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:13 PM

My Telescope came with a 20mm and a 4mm. The 20mm was usable and actually not that bad but did eventually get replaced.

I agree with you that the mount is the weakest part of the set up. The EQ1 tripod and mount is small, rickety, and gets very shaky at higher powers. 

A couple suggestions that provided modest improvement for me. 

1. Don't extend the legs all the way. 

2. Add some sort of object to weigh down the tripod and mount to help tame the vibrations.

3. Don't place it on a hard surface. Dirt or grass help absorb the vibrations so they are not transferred to the telescope. I have artificial turf in my backyard, it works great. 

I use a 7.5 lb weight plate placed on top of the accessory tray. I have seen others use a gallon of water tied to a rope and hung from the mount. 

-Victor

Thanks for the stability tips. It looks like mine came with a different tripod. And I'm not having too many issues with the tripod itself, but rather the crappy mount. It doesn't hold position very well at all, unless you crank it way down, then it becomes super difficult to loosen, reposition and retighten. And even then, it droops from its intended target. So you have to try and overshoot your target just right, trying to account for the droop, and hope it stops where you intended. This is the mount it came with:

Attached Thumbnails

• 21061_AstroMaster_70AZ_5_570x380@2x.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics