•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shortening Dew Not Dew cables

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratskrad

ratskrad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Heber Utah

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

I was wondering if it is ok or have others cut down their Dew not Dew cables that run from the heated strip to the controller box. They have always been way too long and I am able to do either solderless or with solder for the new RCA ends. I have pretty much settled on my rig after upgrading most of it during the past six months and do not think I will be going bigger. I understand they use resistance to generate heat and shorter cables should not have much of an effect on that I would think as they are now controlled by a Pegasus UPB v2 and so the individual channels can be set accordingly. To get them out of the way over the years I have always coiled them up and hung them from something on the mount and with the setup now I have them coiled up and stuck into an ES eyepiece bag and placed between the dovetail plate and optical tube to get them out of the way.

#2 mrlovt

mrlovt

Messenger

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Yep, no problem at all.  The heat is produced by the resistance is in the heating strip, so shortening the cable from the plug to the strip won't affect performance.

• ratskrad and havasman like this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

Yes, as above. But if it goes south on you, forum member Dynan is making dew heater strips at nominal cost and has confirmed that he can make custom length leads.

• ratskrad likes this

#4 ratskrad

ratskrad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Heber Utah

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured as much but just wanted to ask. The RCA ends arrived yesterday and I brought the optical tubes in earlier as it is supposed to snow for the next week or so. I try not to leave them out if it's going to dump for days, mount is ok under the Telegizmos 365 covers. Full moon is a coming and it will allow me to finish up the project I started.  

Edited by ratskrad, 26 January 2021 - 02:18 PM.

• mrlovt and havasman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics