•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sun's Up Over Down Under Jan27th 7am to 9am

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:26 AM

Managed some Sun today, first in a while and a bit rusty so some quick images and animations while I work out why my public Dropbox is not playing right for the bigger animation. Looks like plenty of action around the disc. I tried to bring out fainter proms (they are in the bigger animation I am trying to link) and that's why I have the black and grey proms. Perhaps better exposure times? These were around 11ms with 260gain in Sharp Cap 3.2.

That "monster burp" that jumps out in animation 2 was so obvious while getting the avi's that I couldn't wait to see how it turned out. 

If you wouldn't mind seeing if this link takes you direct to the cropped larger animation as I think it does.

https://www.dropbox....images.gif?dl=0

and a link to the bigger animation (if it works!)

https://www.dropbox....f?role=personal

Thanks indeed for looking!

Attached Thumbnails

• 0839Pos_a.jpg
  • 0738Pos_b - Copy.jpg

Edited by peterm, 27 January 2021 - 02:30 AM.

• George N, PhotonJohn, rigel123 and 9 others like this

#2 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:26 AM

Animation crop 1

Attached Thumbnails

• Animation1 0746 27th Jan @100ms 89 frames - Copy.gif

Edited by peterm, 27 January 2021 - 02:25 AM.

• PhotonJohn, rigel123, hopskipson and 6 others like this

#3 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:27 AM

Animation crop 2

Attached Thumbnails

• Animation2 0746 27th Jan @100ms 89 frames.gif

• PhotonJohn, rigel123, hopskipson and 6 others like this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:17 AM

Great animations and images Peter, excellent detail. I'm in transition to a Lunt LS80MT double stack. Might be down for a while.

#5 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:50 AM

Great animations and images Peter, excellent detail. I'm in transition to a Lunt LS80MT double stack. Might be down for a while.

Hi John Happy New Year! And yes, I saw that ...sooooooooooooooooooo jealous, nah I bet you can't wait!  Look forward to your next round of images from the Lunt 80 and hope you are up and running sooner than later. Your help and your images are a big inspiration to me!

Edited by peterm, 27 January 2021 - 02:24 AM.

• PhotonJohn likes this

#6 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:59 AM

Nice! The animations are so cool and the still image is nicely detailed!

Thanks for sharing this.

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:31 AM

Nice animations Peter!

Very best,

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

Nice ones Peter, quite a few surge (burps) proms going on in the animations on Drop Box! I’m wondering how you are adding your blacked out disk as it is picking up some of the areas inside the proms as well which I think if you could eliminate that “bleed” would bring out a bit more in the proms.

#9 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:14 PM

Nice! The animations are so cool and the still image is nicely detailed!

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks ilan!

#10 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:14 PM

Nice animations Peter!

Very best,

Thank you Marty!

#11 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Nice ones Peter, quite a few surge (burps) proms going on in the animations on Drop Box! I’m wondering how you are adding your blacked out disk as it is picking up some of the areas inside the proms as well which I think if you could eliminate that “bleed” would bring out a bit more in the proms.

Thanks for this Warren your advice is as usual, so very helpful indeed.  I added the blackened disc through IMPPG, pulling down the tone curve at the right hand side. When I took the data I think I have overexposed on the first surge prom too much as I wanted to capture the fainter proms. The second surge prom erupted out of nowhere and is pure white in each avi. I have gone back and tried to reduce that "bleed" but I think it's just too overexposed at 11ms and nothing I seem to be able to do eliminates it.  What I will try to do on my next animation is find another bright prom and reduce the exposure and then use IMPPG to bring out those fainter proms, do you think that might work better? Is 11ms and 100gain in Sharp Cap too much for the surge proms?

#12 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

Came for the title, stayed for the images. Well done!

#13 hopskipson

hopskipson

Gemini

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

Nice images and animations, Peter!

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for this Warren your advice is as usual, so very helpful indeed.  I added the blackened disc through IMPPG, pulling down the tone curve at the right hand side. When I took the data I think I have overexposed on the first surge prom too much as I wanted to capture the fainter proms. The second surge prom erupted out of nowhere and is pure white in each avi. I have gone back and tried to reduce that "bleed" but I think it's just too overexposed at 11ms and nothing I seem to be able to do eliminates it.  What I will try to do on my next animation is find another bright prom and reduce the exposure and then use IMPPG to bring out those fainter proms, do you think that might work better? Is 11ms and 100gain in Sharp Cap too much for the surge proms?

Ahh, that makes sense and using IMPPG to blacken the disk does work well but you can run into that bleed easily when an unexpected burst occurs. In cases like that I’ll typically use Photoshop to blacken the disk instead by putting in a static selection so that bright explosion shows up as the bright white plume that it is. Your other option is to just leave the overexposed disk pure white so you can see that burst. Nice animation either way!

Since you can’t anticipate a bright burst it’s fine to expose for the proms that you can see and then try some additional techniques so the bright surge proms get the attention they deserve!

Edited by rigel123, 27 January 2021 - 08:47 PM.

#15 chemman

chemman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

Very nice Peter. Your animations are pretty good.  Interesting activity.  

I was working on animations but snow and low sun.  Finally the sun is getting up where is not behind the roof of  the  house.  Today was the first day with blue skies so had to get out. Seeing conditions were 1-3 arcsec with an occasional dip to .7.  Really was an exercise of how to get the scope out, lol could not get the  new computer to read a PGR camera had to fall back to the LPI-G even though the images were dancing like a Hula-Dancer.  

OTH yours look great.  And Happy New Year Down Under Peter.  

Edited by chemman, 27 January 2021 - 11:01 PM.

#16 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

Came for the title, stayed for the images. Well done!

Thank you very much Mark!

#17 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

Nice images and animations, Peter!

Thanks very much James!

#18 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

Very nice Peter. Your animations are pretty good.  Interesting activity.  

I was working on animations but snow and low sun.  Finally the sun is getting up where is not behind the roof of  the  house.  Today was the first day with blue skies so had to get out. Seeing conditions were 1-3 arcsec with an occasional dip to .7.  Really was an exercise of how to get the scope out, lol could not get the  new computer to read a PGR camera had to fall back to the LPI-G even though the images were dancing like a Hula-Dancer.  

OTH yours look great.  And Happy New Year Down Under Peter.  

Thanks very much Chuck and a HNY to you "Up Over" also!  Really enjoying trying to make animations as they can be so dynamic. We are back to cloud now, really odd Summer.  Looking forward to your next animations when things settle down weather wise.

#19 chemman

chemman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

Thanks very much Chuck and a HNY to you "Up Over" also!  Really enjoying trying to make animations as they can be so dynamic. We are back to cloud now, really odd Summer.  Looking forward to your next animations when things settle down weather wise.

To me an animation leads to the physics behind what is going on on a star, a thermonuclear reaction we can watch from 93 million miles away, a safe distance, most of the time anyhow.  I would hope people like us would be able to watch the sun get all upset and butthurt and we could warn the world to get underground before the big CME that blasts the earth.  

I digress,  Lol.  

I am looking at 0.38 arcseconds seeing conditions between 10-12am tomorrow, hoping for bluebird skies!  Maybe I should make an offering to  ULLR, not sure what would be proper for no clouds, no snow.  humm...

Chuck 

• rigel123 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics