•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars/Uranus/Moon "triple conjunction"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:12 AM

Like James7ca, I noticed that Mars and Uranus were closing on each other and were due to reach their closest point around the 21st of Jan, with the moon also close to both planets at that time. Unlike James, I don't really have a good setup to image such a large separation but thought I might have a go anyway with my Canon 700D and stock 75-300mm lens. On the 17th I was able to catch a couple of images of Uranus and Mars with this setup, which showed I was at least able to capture a red spot and a blue dot on a black background. On the 21st, the moon entered the picture and of course swamped the entire area with light, but I was at least able to capture the relative positions of the planets.

So, after a number of failed attempts to stack these images (using a mixture of DSS, Sequator, PIPP and AS!3), I've eventually chosen one frame from each attempt using different exposure times and ISO values, massaged the results onto one multi-layer composite to give a "representation" of the triple conjunction on 21 Jan 2021 at around 11:00PM. There is one frame for the Uranus/Mars conjunction (17 Jan), one optimised for the Moon (21 Jan) and one to show the relative positions of the planets. Since Uranus didn't move very far over those 4 days against the background star field, I have overlaid the 17 Jan image on top of the 21 Jan image. Mars was shifted manually to the new position since it did move a considerable distance. 

It's a highly artificial composite image that has resulted, but was representative of the conjunction. I checked the locations of the planets and stars with Stellarium to make sure the locations are accurate. The first image below shows the final result, the second image has the individual frames used to construct this image.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Triple conjunction overlay MarsShiftlabelled ps1 labelled.png
  • Conjunction raw frames.jpg

• lukasik, Mike Phillips, Kenny V. and 13 others like this

#2 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

So that's where Uranus is.

Nice

- Cal

• Mike Phillips likes this

#3 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:40 AM

Very nice. I looked twice and I'm certain Uranus is presenting a distinct light blueish tinge!

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

I'm sure you put a lot of effort into your composite image, and the result is very well worth it.  waytogo.gif

Ed D

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:57 PM

Thanks all, Uranus is certainly showing a touch of blue :)

I'm sure you put a lot of effort into your composite image, and the result is very well worth it.  waytogo.gif

Ed D

Thanks Ed, it was a bit of effort, and I'm not sure the final result was completely worth it, but at least now I can move on :)

#6 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:16 AM

Dazzling!  Thanks for sharing with us.

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Very nice work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics