•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Black touch-up paint/pen/...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jan-S

Jan-S

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:10 AM

Hello,

I have an extension tube which has some black paint missing at the nosepiece, showingthe shiny alu/metal below.

The seller suggested I blacken the bright spots with a black felt pen. Would this do? The paint applied by the manufacturer (Takahashi) is extremely matte black, but so far I only found such paint in relatively large quantities (e.g. to paint a full OTA).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Jan

• teashea likes this

#2 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

"Black 3.0" might be a good option.

• starcam and teashea like this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:21 AM

A felt pen is going to be less than satisfactory.

If the missing black is on the inside, a small bottle of flat black model paint will do just fine. If it is on the outside of the barrel, a trip to your local gun shop (or Amazon) will net you a small bottle of gun black which will work quite well.

• Jan-S likes this

#4 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

I have used acrylic paint markers to touch up areas like that. Works fine and gives you more control. They’ll dry matte.

• wrvond and Jan-S like this

#5 mdavister

mdavister

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

Testors makes a line of enamel paint pens. They have flat black as one of the colors.

https://www.testors....l-paint/markers

• wrvond and Jan-S like this

#6 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

All of the above should be fine.

Sharpie is absolutely the worst, and is not even good for glass edge blackening, I've had it break down and fail (reasons unknown) on several tries. And it is extremely shiny at low angles.

The Black 3.0 requires explanation, it seems there is a branch of art where ultra flat blacks play a role. Vanta (?) requires special procedures, and Stuart Semple Black 3.0 has cost, apllication or availability issues IIRC. Apparently there is some big flatness war, not that I cared.

But Stuart Semple Black 2.0 is amazingly flat and easily bought on Amazon.

In my casual testing it beat everything I had or tried, particularly at low angles. It beat the nice Vixen black in their big high end refractor focuser, which has excellent blackening.

It is easy to apply, but is easiest for smallish areas like yours.

https://www.amazon.c...11761885&sr=8-2

For glass edges I use Higgins Black Magic India Ink 'markers'

https://www.amazon.c...11762126&sr=8-6

in marker or marker-brush form.

Excellent and durable in lens / prism edge blackening.

I've never tried it on metal. It is labeled semi matte, but is very black on glass and really kills reflections. It is said to be waterproof but high purity ethanol can take it off.

• Jan-S likes this

#7 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

I got some flat-black spray paint from the hardware store and touched up the black accents on my aluminum tripod & pier extension column. After a couple years and a few trips to dark sites, it gathered quite a few nicks, scuffs, chips, & scratches. I also spray painted the screws & bolts that attach the mount to the pier extension, as well as the tripod spreader tray. I didn't take any before photos, but here are the after shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200430_190049.jpg
  • IMG_20200430_185852.jpg
  • IMG_20200430_190026.jpg

• Jan-S and teashea like this

#8 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:38 PM

I got some flat-black spray paint from the hardware store and touched up the black accents on my aluminum tripod & pier extension column. After a couple years and a few trips to dark sites, it gathered quite a few nicks, scuffs, chips, & scratches. I also spray painted the screws & bolts that attach the mount to the pier extension, as well as the tripod spreader tray. I didn't take any before photos, but here are the after shots.

A couple more angles

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200430_190044.jpg
  • IMG_20200430_185837.jpg
  • IMG_20200430_185857.jpg

Edited by rkelley8493, 27 January 2021 - 12:40 PM.

• Jan-S likes this

#9 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

I have an extension tube which has some black paint missing at the nosepiece, showingthe shiny alu/metal below.

The seller suggested I blacken the bright spots with a black felt pen. Would this do? The paint applied by the manufacturer (Takahashi) is extremely matte black, but so far I only found such paint in relatively large quantities (e.g. to paint a full OTA).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan, a felt tip touch up would look terrible.  First, it is going to be very thin and not cover well.  Second, it is actually a dark purple.  Third, it is shiny.   You can go to a hardware store and ask for matt black paint, which would be better.  Or, go on Amazon and search for plastic model paint in matt black.  

• rkelley8493 and Jan-S like this

#10 Jan-S

Jan-S

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

Jan, a felt tip touch up would look terrible.  First, it is going to be very thin and not cover well.  Second, it is actually a dark purple.  Third, it is shiny.   You can go to a hardware store and ask for matt black paint, which would be better.  Or, go on Amazon and search for plastic model paint in matt black.  

Thanks a lot. That's what I feared. I didn't see it adhere well on aluminium. I now got a small tube of car/bike paint, matte black, that comes with a brush. I know cars are steel, but it is also sold for bikes and should work on alu as well. If it works, I'll let you know.

https://www.motip.be...paints/kompakt/

Thank you all!

• rkelley8493 and teashea like this

#11 Jan-S

Jan-S

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

Thanks a lot. That's what I feared. I didn't see it adhere well on aluminium. I now got a small tube of car/bike paint, matte black, that comes with a brush. I know cars are steel, but it is also sold for bikes and should work on alu as well. If it works, I'll let you know.

https://www.motip.be...paints/kompakt/

Thank you all!

So, to whom it may concern, the above paint did not work very well. It was downright glossy compared to the original Takahashi coating. I would recommend not using it for this purpose. The paint products listed above (black 2.0 and others) seem like a great fit, but they aren't for sale on European websites as far as I could tell. I ended up re-ordering the extension tube.

• teashea likes this

#12 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:03 AM

Black 3.0 would be a way to go, but not in euro., maybe somebody in the  u.s. can buy it then send it.

Maybe another option is black felt from Scopestuff, not sure if they send to europe. maybe not enuff gap

https://www.amazon.c...3019664&sr=8-40

I have used this too.

Edited by starcam, 11 February 2021 - 12:04 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics