•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NBX filter upgraded to NBZ - L-eXtreme alternative

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

I purchased an L-eXtreme filter a while back but returned it after hearing about halos and problems with fast scopes.  I'm planning to purchase an f/5 scope and potentially use a reducer to bring it to f/4 so I didn't want to have to deal with those issues.

The IDAS NBX filter is a similar filter, but with wider bandpass at about 15nm compared to the L-eXtreme's 7nm.  That added width, plus their design which places them off center a bit to allow for more bandpass shift at fast f/ratios, means they are touted as working with scopes as fast as f/2.

I compared the two filters on Astrobin and found halos on both of them in some situations, but it seemed like the NBX was perhaps a little better in that regard.  So I ordered the NBX which, like everything these days, was on long-term back order.

I just received it, and discovered they are now shipping the NBZ, not the NBX.  According to one website, IDAS redesigned the filter "from the ground up" to significantly reduce internal reflections and eliminate halos.  Cool!  Just wanted to post this in case others are looking at these filters.  The L-eXtreme's narrower bandpass will of course provide a stronger effect and a darker background.  But the 15nm NBZ should still be pretty good.  And if it both eliminates halos and works with fast scopes, that seems like a good tradeoff to me.

-Dan

NBZ Filter.jpg

• Scott Mitchell and elmiko like this

#2 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

I look forward to seeing your images using the filter. I use the L-Extreme filter. All in all pretty happy with it. It does create halos around some stars though. But I fix in post processing.

Edited by elmiko, 27 January 2021 - 04:45 PM.

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Been eyeballing this for my rasa rig. Have the l-extreme for the slower scope. First light did show some halos with the AT80EDT and flattener reducer.

Curious to see what you get out of the new nbz

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

I look forward to seeing your images using the filter. I use the L-Extreme filter. All in all pretty happy with it. It does create halos around some stars though. But I fix in post processing.

It will be a while.  I live in NY State, near Lake Ontario.  The lake provides us with a wonderful cloud cover for nearly the entire winter.  :-(  I haven't seen a clear night in over 2 months.

-Dan

• elmiko likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Sorry to hear that. I wish you clear skies soon!

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

Been about the same here. Looking at a decent clear night tonight for a change but, it's cold, there is snow on the ground, humidity is probably going to be an issue and a near full moon. Argh!! lol
  • elmiko likes this

#7 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

For those who bought the NBX

https://digiborg.wor...z-free-upgrade/

I do not own either filter but images shared by some one who had the x and now has the z show a very substantial reduction in halos.

#8 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

For those who bought the NBX

https://digiborg.wor...z-free-upgrade/

I do not own either filter but images shared by some one who had the x and now has the z show a very substantial reduction in halos.

Wow!  I'm impressed that IDAS is offering a FREE UPGRADE to NBX owners.  That's good customer service!

-Dan

#9 tjay

tjay

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

It will be a while. I live in NY State, near Lake Ontario. The lake provides us with a wonderful cloud cover for nearly the entire winter. :-( I haven't seen a clear night in over 2 months.

-Dan

That is my fault! I live on the other side of the lake and I just finished my backyard observatory in the late fall.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

#10 Rob B1472

Rob B1472

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:23 PM

I just took delivery of the NBZ. I’m a newbie and only 4 months into it with lots of struggles on using my equipment. Having used the L-enhance on my RASA 8 and saw some halo, I can confirm that this filter produces less halo and really brings out the nebulosity.

2BBE324C-78BF-4D13-81CC-4BBAA7614741.jpeg

#11 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:33 PM

I bought the NBX and liked it with my one outing with a 200mm f4, but I’ve sent it back for exchange for the NBZ - looking forward to trying it with Hyperstar and f2.8 camera lenses.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics