•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are they worth?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

Someone is wanting to sell a 31mm, 22mm, 17mm , 12mm and a 6mm Nagler for $2k.  I am not up to date on the prices. I would figure $500 for the 31mm and $350 for the 22 and $300 for the 17 and $220 for the 12mm and maybe around 200 for the 6mm. Not sure if boxes are included and i would guess they are in good shape.

Does 2k seem ok?

Edited by CHASLX200, 28 January 2021 - 07:18 AM.

• teashea likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:23 AM

Seems high to me although I thought the TV PC2 was also included in that price?

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:48 AM

the general rule I go by is most Amateur Astronomy related items go for roughly 2/3rds of the original retail price.by my calculations they work out at £1793 or $2446 (respectively)so definitely over priced nearer $1500-1600  mark would be feasible 

Edited by Supernova74, 28 January 2021 - 07:49 AM.

• Sarkikos, SandyHouTex, spaceoddity and 3 others like this

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

or $2446 (respectively)so definitely over priced nearer $1500-1600  mark would be feasible 

Or, maybe you are getting a great eyepiece set when they are hard to find and saving ~$500, which gets you an Ethos, another Nagler, or the Paracorr 2 if not included.

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

the general rule I go by is most Amateur Astronomy related items go for roughly 2/3rds of the original retail price.by my calculations they work out at £1793 or $2446 (respectively)so definitely over priced nearer $1500-1600  mark would be feasible 

2/3’s is just right if in great condition ! Many fellow astronomers like to use 90% as a greedy figure and sleep well at nite and in most cases there is no warranty to a second or more owner !

• scotsman328i, SandyHouTex, peta62 and 4 others like this

#6 jimhoward999

jimhoward999

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood, Tennessee

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

I have noticed that too.  Most equipment seems to sell for 2/3 the original price......which seems crazy.  Who would buy used equipment at only a 33% discount?  I would never consider that, just buy new and pay another few hundred bucks.

But the answer to my question is:   lots of people.   Good equipment  appears to sell almost instantly on CN classified at 70% of full retail and sometime even more.

Nagler eyepieces...they are in the sell instantly category even if the discount is quite small.

But if its me, I'd just go to a Televue retailer and get the exact eyepiece set I want brand new for $2500,

• 25585 and teashea like this

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

I can understand the warranty side of things for piece of mind.however tho talking about percentages the majority of folks will definitely look after them especially at that price point thay are not cheap and quality often is not.but eyepieces are not like let’s say goto mounts as there is no mechanical moving parts or electronics to go wrong only glass and it’s highly unlikely that the potential seller would sell a dodgy televue as it would stand out like a sore thumb.some items I agree maybe harder to find on the preowned market place however televue is still a mass produced product and older and newer type naglers do come up for sale quite often on various forums in the uk especially Astrobuyandsell and all across the range ethos especially it seems.

• scotsman328i likes this

#8 kklei940

kklei940

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

Pretty much every piece of astronomy equipment I own has been purchased used here on CM or Astromart. I know I've saved a significant amount of money doing so. And maybe I've lucked out, but everything I purchased used has been in excellent condition.

That being said, I have noticed a recent trend of higher than usual prices on a lot of different astro items. I guess the shortage of new equipment has trickled down into the used market as well.

• scotsman328i, izar187 and spaceoddity like this

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

Pretty much every piece of astronomy equipment I own has been purchased used here on CM or Astromart. I know I've saved a significant amount of money doing so. And maybe I've lucked out, but everything I purchased used has been in excellent condition.

That being said, I have noticed a recent trend of higher than usual prices on a lot of different astro items. I guess the shortage of new equipment has trickled down into the used market as well.

That scope looks familer in background I believe Exsplore scientific eyepieces are used on that rather large refractor 

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:30 PM

The higher than usual prices have been around for a long time if you have been watching !

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

I remember $99 1.25" ES82s.....

• Illinois likes this

#12 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:20 PM

The higher than usual prices have been around for a long time if you have been watching !

Hi I haven’t noticed the eyepieces gone up in the uk quite so much if anything thay have gone down slighty over the years I cannot help feeling you guys in the states might have seen price variants more recently especially on classified section on cloudy nights due to the pandemic slighty to blame as most vendors are out of stock and don,t no when stock levels will rise again perhaps even the preowned market is on demand now and sellers can demand more price for specific items other folks want as thay know just cannot get hold of them.

• scotsman328i, Andrés85 and teashea like this

#13 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:20 PM

Someone is wanting to sell a 31mm, 22mm, 17mm , 12mm and a 6mm Nagler for $2k.  I am not up to date on the prices. I would figure $500 for the 31mm and $350 for the 22 and $300 for the 17 and $220 for the 12mm and maybe around 200 for the 6mm. Not sure if boxes are included and i would guess they are in good shape.

Does 2k seem ok?

New: 31mm $666

22mm  $465

17mm $398

12mm $375 (now a discontinued item)

6mm?  I think you probably mean 7mm.  If a T6, then $321  If a T1, then ??

So, new $2225.

I would look for a price of $1480-$1500

• Jon Isaacs, scotsman328i, doctordub and 9 others like this

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

Hi I haven’t noticed the eyepieces gone up in the uk quite so much if anything thay have gone down slighty over the years I cannot help feeling you guys in the states might have seen price variants more recently especially on classified section on cloudy nights due to the pandemic slighty to blame as most vendors are out of stock and don,t no when stock levels will rise again perhaps even the preowned market is on demand now and sellers can demand more price for specific items other folks want as thay know just cannot get hold of them.

Prices won’t rise if astronomers refuse to pay these greedy prices for used hobby equipment, they should just hold out for better days no matter how long ! Its only a hobby and most, I would hope, know good prices and exorbitant prices !

• scotsman328i and ed_turco like this

#15 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

Prices won’t rise if astronomers refuse to pay these greedy prices for used hobby equipment, they should just hold out for better days no matter how long ! Its only a hobby and most, I would hope, know good prices and exorbitant prices !

I agree with you however........"Time is Money" to some and they're willing to pay to not have to wait.

Some say "Astro-Gear, Meh, I can live without it" while others say "It's only money".........

No matter what side you're on, the "Market" dictates and now our opinions.

EDIT:  Prime Example just today........Tired of Waiting!

• esd726, scotsman328i, payner and 1 other like this

#16 kklei940

kklei940

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

That scope looks familer in background I believe Exsplore scientific eyepieces are used on that rather large refractor 

The 40" doublet at Yerkes Observatory. I got one peek at Jupiter and a couple other looks at some DSO's, and if I recall correctly I think he actually was using ES eyepieces that night!

• davelpg and teashea like this

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

I agree with you however........"Time is Money" to some and they're willing to pay to not have to wait.

Some say "Astro-Gear, Meh, I can live without it" while others say "It's only money".........

No matter what side you're on, the "Market" dictates and now our opinions.

But thats always been there, normal inflation, not get the other guy, a fellow astronomer and it is happening and I am not talking dealers trying to make a go of it ! There is no ‘ Time is Money ‘ in a hobby, its called impatience, its called I better get it before the next guy even though what I have is great ! I say ‘ its only money ‘ myself but sometimes, ....... ? The ‘ Market ‘ dictates only because it knows these types of buyers are out there, that could all be changed quite easily if ....... ! Those just willing to pay no matter what are in a different category, they have always done that, for them nothing has changed, I have been there in the past I know, until the light bulb comes on. And this is my opinion from experience, from watching it happen ! The term ‘ a fair price ‘ has been stroked from the dictionary, most times !   PS:  And its worse in Canada !

Edited by LDW47, 28 January 2021 - 02:22 PM.

• scotsman328i and teashea like this

#18 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

I think part of the problem is so many started the hobby during the pandemic. I have six scopes and a dozen high quality eyepieces. It is easy for me to sit back and wait for things to return to normal. But some people don’t want to wait 6-12 months to get something better than the stock eyepieces that came with their scope. So that has dried up supply and driven up prices. And then there are those hobbyists who are always looking to try something new and are willing to pay a premium rather than wait for things to return to normal.

I do kind of feel for the folks just starting out and looking to buy their first quality eyepieces right now. Whatever is good is out of stock or overpriced, maybe both.

Scott

#19 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

But thats always been there, normal inflation, not get the other guy, a fellow astronomer and it is happening and I am not talking dealers trying to make a go of it ! There is no ‘ Time is Money ‘ in a hobby, its called impatience, its called I better get it before the next guy even though what I have is great ! I say ‘ its only money ‘ myself but sometimes, ....... ? The ‘ Market ‘ dictates only because it knows these types of buyers are out there, that could all be changed quite easily if ....... ! Those just willing to pay no matter what are in a different category, they have always done that, for them nothing has changed, I have been there in the past I know, until the light bulb comes on. And this is my opinion from experience, from watching it happen ! The term ‘ a fair price ‘ has been stroked from the dictionary, most times !   PS:  And its worse in Canada !

RV's, Boats, Fitness Equipment (currently $3/lb used in my locale), Hair cutting supplies........All of it has been effected the same and unfortunately "these type of buyers" are setting the pace, not you or me.

You and me  may  look at them as fools for over-paying on something they don't need whereas they look at us for living "without". 

And it's been worse in Canada for several yrs BEFORE the current situation.  Now it's just even worse.

#20 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

RV's, Boats, Fitness Equipment (currently $3/lb used in my locale), Hair cutting supplies........All of it has been effected the same and unfortunately "these type of buyers" are setting the pace, not you or me.

You and me  may  look at them as fools for over-paying on something they don't need whereas they look at us for living "without". 

And it's been worse in Canada for several yrs BEFORE the current situation.  Now it's just even worse.

Don’t bring all this other stuff into this discussion, don’t hide it in a mass of ...., as usual, we are talking used astronomy equipment, a hobby of dark nites, clear skies ! And you are right its been worse in Canada forever, we do agree ! And you know full well its not about living without, its about ........... !

Edited by LDW47, 28 January 2021 - 02:44 PM.

#21 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

Um yes and no I think personally

I think it’s a bit of both to be honest that’s the nature of the beast I guess,unfortunately some vendors have got us by the nobberly bits knowing we cannot puchase it anywhere else so vamp up the prices and call it inflation and overhead costs yes it is a hobby and people do go beyond there means for that next best thing and I bet the majority of us are all caught in the same mind set and I’m also guilty as charged.however I must admit tho since the epidemic you would of thought folks would be skint doesn’t seem the case as Amateur Astronomy is booming in sales at the moment that’s why every vendor is struggling to maintain stock levels.( in other words also folks always got money for toys)

#22 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Don’t bring all this other stuff into this discussion, don’t hide it in a mass of ...., as usual, we are talking used astronomy equipment, a hobby of dark nites, clear skies ! And you are right its been worse in Canada forever, we do agree ! And you know full well its not about living without, its about ........... !

Not hiding anything, just informing the current situation with a lot of "used" items.

Why do you feel Astronomy equipment is any different?

"And you know full well its not about living without, its about ........... !"

Even if I do agree with you, It's still subjective (at best).

#23 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

Seems high to me although I thought the TV PC2 was also included in that price?

The Paracorr i am getting is included with the scope. I think it is a first gen Paracorr.  I would guess he would come down on the price some if i made a offer. I don't really want the 31mm.  I loved my 22 and 17mm Naglers when i had them.

I have had a few of the first gen Pacacorr's before and i loved them.

#24 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

I have had around a 1000 eyepieces over the years i bet and most were all used when i got em.  I won't have to worry about shipping or being home if i buy this local set. I could always sell the 31mm Nagler. Had one before and while very good, i just never fell in love with it like i did the 22mm.

#25 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

New: 31mm $666

22mm  $465

17mm $398

12mm $375 (now a discontinued item)

6mm?  I think you probably mean 7mm.  If a T6, then $321  If a T1, then ??

So, new $2225.

I would look for a price of $1480-$1500

Hard to tell in the pic but looks like a newer 6mm Nagler T-6.  I would rather have a Delite or Radian in that FL for better ER with my glasses.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics