•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Back ordered, back ordered, back ordered.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Tough times and getting worse.
   Was thinking about a small automated alt/as mount like the Sky Watcher AZ GTi...back ordered. Then perhaps the Sky Watcher AZ GTe?...back ordered. How about a Astro Tech 60mm?...back ordered. Or a William Optics ZenithStar?...back ordered. It’s getting worse for eyepieces also. I have probably 12 or so astronomy equipment retailer websites saved and for the ones that aren’t back ordered, the others use inventory programs showing two or less items still in stock and dwindling by the day. At first the community was told 2-3 weeks to resupply, then that quickly became 2-3 months. Now unfortunately we are looking at mid to late 2021 before products even start trickling in.
    Me? I’m pretty much set with all I need to enjoy visual manual viewing. The times of what we would need to enjoy this hobby have now surpassed what we want for many. As for some of us, we’re always thinking about venturing out into other aspects of Amateur Astronomy, whether it be automated systems, astrophotography, refractors, reflectors, Dobsonians, different eyepieces to try and so on. Now is simply not the time. No longer limited by our bank accounts as to how far we are willing to go in pursuit of other areas of amateur astronomy, but limited by what is left on the market for purchase. I truly feel bad for so many newcomers to the hobby that want so badly to acquire the equipment they need to get started in astronomy, let alone any equipment that they want in order to upgrade or modify a current basic stock product.
   I just remember for so many years how I could never afford the products I would’ve loved to own, and here I am now able to purchase them...but can’t find any available. Oh, the irony. shrug.gif

• Jim Davenport and c2m2t like this

#2 wizbang396

wizbang396

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

So it goes, and you will find many USED items on the internet that are attempting to SELL AT COST !  Better to keep what you got and remain "happy".  

• scotsman328i, BlueMoon and SonnyE like this

#3 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:30 AM

So it goes, and you will find many USED items on the internet that are attempting to SELL AT COST !  Better to keep what you got and remain "happy".  

Exactly! Nailed it on the head!..because whatever you do sell, now you’re in a new dilemma of waiting for the back ordered upgrade to restock that you wanted. Now you don’t have the item you had or the upgrade you wanted. LOL. 

#4 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

So it goes, and you will find many USED items on the internet that are attempting to SELL AT COST ! Better to keep what you got and remain "happy".

Pretty much. Astronomics recently raised the price on the AT60ED by a bit, and it seems to be reflected in recent classifieds posts which are now selling them at their previously listed value.
  • scotsman328i likes this

#5 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Pretty much. Astronomics recently raised the price on the AT60ED by a bit, and it seems to be reflected in recent classifieds posts which are now selling them at their previously listed value.

I gather they have to do this due to lack of sales to keep their ship from sinking. I can’t blame them in the least. It’s going to be difficult to survive this mess from what COVID has done over the last year and into the future. In a retailer’s perfect world, people would order, pay, and happily wait for the items to come in. However the vast majority won’t do that and go to the first supplier that will have the item they want. Even if a supplier was to jack the price way up to an unrealistic price, people will still pay it as it’s either ‘pay to play’, or simply go without and wait without any definitive timeframe. 

• qswat72 likes this

#6 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:54 AM

You’re right, they are ATTEMPTING to sell ‘at cost’. Give this another 2-3 months and people will be SUCCEEDING at selling items ‘ABOVE cost’. It’s crazy! 

#7 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

I gather they have to do this due to lack of sales to keep their ship from sinking. I can’t blame them in the least. It’s going to be difficult to survive this mess from what COVID has done over the last year and into the future. In a retailer’s perfect world, people would order, pay, and happily wait for the items to come in. However the vast majority won’t do that and go to the first supplier that will have the item they want. Even if a supplier was to jack the price way up to an unrealistic price, people will still pay it as it’s either ‘pay to play’, or simply go without and wait without any definitive timeframe. 

I don't blame them from raising the price (it is actually a better deal now), but part of me feels like it is the contrary in regards to scope sales. I would assume they are doing pretty well off to continually be selling out of shipments. I could be wrong though.

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

Yes, it is unfortunate that people who are newly entering the hobby are finding such long delays before they can get themselves started. Maybe the only silver lining for newbies is that the enforced delays mean they have a lot longer to try and figure out how best to start off, by asking questions here on CN or elsewhere. Not much comfort, but if some newcomer avoids a hasty mistake it might be a good thing.

• scotsman328i and B 26354 like this

#9 altair58

altair58

Sputnik

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

The Big question is...

How are these companies staying in business if they aren't doing any business!!

If they go under (and I'm sure many of the mom an pops are struggling) then where do we go?undecided.gif

#10 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

I don't blame them from raising the price (it is actually a better deal now), but part of me feels like it is the contrary in regards to scope sales. I would assume they are doing pretty well off to continually be selling out of shipments. I could be wrong though.

Thats the thing, they’re not ‘continually selling out’ of products...they aren’t getting any in from the suppliers. It’s the lack of raw materials being brought in to the manufacturers to be able to make the products to sell to the retailers. 

• Jim Davenport and qswat72 like this

#11 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Thats the thing, they’re not ‘continually selling out’ of products...they aren’t getting any in from the suppliers. It’s the lack of raw materials being brought in to the manufacturers to be able to make the products to sell to the retailers. 

Good point, didn't think of that.

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:03 AM

Many have been trying to sell just below cost for a long time, now the real greed is starting to show. ‘ Used only once ‘ is meaningless, once it leaves the lot its used, plain and simple ! Know your prices and forget the greedy ......... !

#13 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:03 AM

The Big question is...

How are these companies staying in business if they aren't doing any business!!

If they go under (and I'm sure many of the mom an pops are struggling) then where do we go?undecided.gif

That is the big question, isn’t it? Going online and purchasing a back ordered product and having to wait for many months on end for it to come in, after already dropping $$$$ on it, doesn’t seem to sit well with the vast majority of consumers. Apart from the few that are willing to purchase and wait, how do these retailers manage to survive this tempo of global delay?

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

That is the big question, isn’t it? Going online and purchasing a back ordered product and having to wait for many months on end for it to come in, after already dropping $$$$ on it, doesn’t seem to sit well with the vast majority of consumers. Apart from the few that are willing to purchase and wait, how do these retailers manage to survive this tempo of global delay?

They are managing just like all other types of businesses ‘ just barely ‘ !

#15 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:09 AM

Many have been trying to sell just below cost for a long time, now the real greed is starting to show. ‘ Used only once ‘ is meaningless, once it leaves the lot its used, plain and simple ! Know your prices and forget the greedy ......... !

Haha, you got that right!...’never been used’, ‘used only once’, ‘LNIB’, ‘won at NEAF raffle’...we’ve seen it all, haven’t we?

I’m still waiting to see “TV 31 NAGLER FOR SALE! PERFECT EXCEPT DENT ON BARREL! DROPPED ONLY ONCE!”. lol.gif

• spongebob@55 and LDW47 like this

#16 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:24 AM

Haha, you got that right!...’never been used’, ‘used only once’, ‘LNIB’, ‘won at NEAF raffle’...we’ve seen it all, haven’t we?

I’m still waiting to see “TV 31 NAGLER FOR SALE! PERFECT EXCEPT DENT ON BARREL! DROPPED ONLY ONCE!”. lol.gif

Thats no joke !  LOL !

#17 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:27 AM

Thats no joke !  LOL !

Yeah! TOTAL STEAL, Mate! lol.gif

• LDW47 likes this

#18 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

This is painful for a newb like me. But I’m trying to make the best of it by reading here daily and gathering accessories. I’ve already spent some good time in 2 books as well.

The supply/demand chain is on a roller coaster in so many areas. Dirt bikes, trucks, campers, you name it, they’re all commanding top $ on the used market. It’s not just scopes. 

#19 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

This is painful for a newb like me. But I’m trying to make the best of it by reading here daily and gathering accessories. I’ve already spent some good time in 2 books as well.

The supply/demand chain is on a roller coaster in so many areas. Dirt bikes, trucks, campers, you name it, they’re all commanding top $ on the used market. It’s not just scopes. 

So if they are demanding an exorbitant, top dollar just don’t buy, if everyone did that the market prices would drop !  Its only a hobby not life or death if you don’t get whatever right away !   PS: When it comes to $’s fellow astronomers aren’t always fellow astronomers, you will find.

Edited by LDW47, 28 January 2021 - 12:34 PM.

• scotsman328i and Speedy1985 like this

#20 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

Here is the situation from our perspective, I can only speak for Sky-Watcher mind you. 

Shipments are coming in, product is being produced and orders being fulfilled. The issue is the demand has sky rocketed and many companies are just trying to keep up. Everything coming in is normally sold out before it even hits the dock due to demand. Changing production to catch up with demand does not happen over night because you can't to ramp up an entire supply chain starting with raw materials. If you cannot get raw material fast enough then the entire chain is delayed. Another issue is the shipping containers needed to ship much of the finished product from overseas, there are only so many containers and if empty containers are not going back fast enough it causes delays. 

Many assume that companies are hurting when its actually the inverse. The astronomy industry is on fire like it has never seen before. The hobby we all love is exploding with interest and that is hard for companies to adjust to because at some point the wave is going to pass and move back to normal. For many companies this is like having the rush during the holiday season but its nonstop. 

Yes, getting product right now is difficult. That is because we have grown so accustom to just having everything we want immediately or within a couple days. That is not the case now and if you want something you simply have to place the order and wait for your product to arrive. Some product is easier to obtain than others but you will eventually get your order, you just have to have patience. I understand it is frustrating for those eager to get out but many of these companies are running on all cylinders to supply the demand.

Just be happy our hobby is growing and many of the companies are doing well to ensure a good future for the hobby. 

• scotsman328i, George N, izar187 and 6 others like this

#21 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

So if they are demanding an exorbitant, top dollar just don’t buy, if everyone did that the market prices would drop !  Its only a hobby not life or death if you don’t get whatever right away !   PS: When it comes to $’s fellow astronomers aren’t always fellow astronomers, you will find.

I agree when it comes to hobbies, especially on the last part.

#22 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

Here is the situation from our perspective, I can only speak for Sky-Watcher mind you. 

Shipments are coming in, product is being produced and orders being fulfilled. The issue is the demand has sky rocketed and many companies are just trying to keep up. Everything coming in is normally sold out before it even hits the dock due to demand. Changing production to catch up with demand does not happen over night because you can't to ramp up an entire supply chain starting with raw materials. If you cannot get raw material fast enough then the entire chain is delayed. Another issue is the shipping containers needed to ship much of the finished product from overseas, there are only so many containers and if empty containers are not going back fast enough it causes delays. 

Many assume that companies are hurting when its actually the inverse. The astronomy industry is on fire like it has never seen before. The hobby we all love is exploding with interest and that is hard for companies to adjust to because at some point the wave is going to pass and move back to normal. For many companies this is like having the rush during the holiday season but its nonstop. 

Yes, getting product right now is difficult. That is because we have grown so accustom to just having everything we want immediately or within a couple days. That is not the case now and if you want something you simply have to place the order and wait for your product to arrive. Some product is easier to obtain than others but you will eventually get your order, you just have to have patience. I understand it is frustrating for those eager to get out but many of these companies are running on all cylinders to supply the demand.

Just be happy our hobby is growing and many of the companies are doing well to ensure a good future for the hobby. 

Just the fact that product being moved and making it to customers is a good sign at this point. 

• scotsman328i and CeeKay like this

#23 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

Well said. I’m just hoping that the current global tempo doesn’t start shutting down retailers. This is my biggest concern. I understand the formula for raw materials needed to manufacture products and the circle of import/export. It’s happening with everything right now. Astronomy products are just a small piece of the entire puzzle. Thanks for your input, Sky Watcher.

#24 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:14 PM

Issue is, If you buy/sell Astro-Gear (or any gear really) you pretty much have to sell for the increased rate or you'll lose when you buy something else that's been inflated.

i.e.  You have a 31T5 and you want to buy it to get a 13E.  Not long ago both sold in the $450 range.  Now they are in the $500+ range.

So do you sell your 31T5 for the "old price" and lose on the 13E or do you keep things even?  I know what I'd do.

If all the athletes are using performance enhancers, you must also to remain competitive.

I'll give a "Classic" example.........Housing.......I'll repeat Housing.  NO ONE ever sells for what they paid....why?  Because they need the increase in value to put towards their new house which

also inflated in value.

Until things return to normal, that's the way it is.

I feel for the new guys however.

• scotsman328i and payner like this

#25 rhetfield

rhetfield

Apollo

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:18 PM

Hopefully the industry remembers that someday things will slow down again.  Too many companies adjust for a spike in sales, then go under when things eventually slow down again.

• scotsman328i and junomike like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics