•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2.1mm breakout box? is there one

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Hi all just wondered if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced breakout box ie 12vdc supply in with 4/6 2.1mm outputs,i dont need the box to convert to 12vdc just split it thanks

#2 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

Search (on Amazon) for 2.1mm splitter cable, or CCTV splitter cable. This is what I use, I purchased a 2-pack splitter cable for something like $8 or so. Make sure it has the right connector for your devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • iwols likes this

#3 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

Great idea!  Me, too. 

• iwols likes this

#4 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

thanks ive ordered one but a box would be nice too cheers

#5 byi

byi

Explorer 1

• Loc: Princeton, NJ

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

If you have a soldering iron, a drill, and some time to kill, you can make one relatively easily. I made two similar boxes with 2.1 and rca breakouts (along with a fuse and power switch) for my dew heating equipment. Even screwed neatly onto my dob mount. If you want, I can post the order inventory from digikey.

Someday I'll also have a howto post either on here or on a blog, but it is not this day.
  • iwols likes this

#6 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

If you have a soldering iron, a drill, and some time to kill, you can make one relatively easily. I made two similar boxes with 2.1 and rca breakouts (along with a fuse and power switch) for my dew heating equipment. Even screwed neatly onto my dob mount. If you want, I can post the order inventory from digikey.

Someday I'll also have a howto post either on here or on a blog, but it is not this day.

Ive got scads of prewired connectors-its been a while, so parallel or series?  Thanks

• iwols likes this

#7 byi

byi

Explorer 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:04 AM

Ive got scads of prewired connectors-its been a while, so parallel or series? Thanks

Assuming you want all of them to be 12v, parallel. If you can, put the assembly of parallel connectors in series with a fuse (on the not grounded side if that is relevant) matching the max output of your supply or the max reasonably expected to be used, whichever is lower. Some supplies may have built in fuses, so may not be critical.

Edited by byi, 28 January 2021 - 11:39 AM.

• iwols and Maritime like this

#8 byi

byi

Explorer 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

oops fixed typo in last post. fuse on the *not* grounded side

#9 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Metro Colorado

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

Best to protect then be sorry.

This is what I am using on my rigs.

Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox - PPB HPS Link

https://pegasusastro...ocket-powerbox/ Info

pga-ppb.jpg

This is the newer one

Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Micro - PEG-PPBMICRO HPS Link

pegasus-astro-pocket-powerbox-micro----p

I power it with this Power Supply.

SUPERNIGHT 100-240V AC to DC 12V 10A 120W Power Supply Adapter Transformer for LCD Monitor, CCTV Camera Security System 5050 3528 RGB LED Strip Lights Amazon Link  $21.00

This is the Pegasus Astro 12V/10A AC/DC Power Supply Unit with 2.1 mm Connector Plug for PPB - PPB-POWER-2.1 HPS Link $66.00

Edited by NoDarkSkies, 28 January 2021 - 04:41 PM.

• iwols likes this

#10 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:31 AM

well the splitter leads have arrived and  been fitted and think they might be better than a box?

#11 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

I think it all depends on your needs, as well as the space you have for the setup. My initial setup used a power pole distribution box and cables power pole to 2.1 for everything. 2 gadgets later (raspberry pi and a 12V/5V converter) I needed more space to fit everything. The splitters only need velcro to keep close, no actual space required. Plus, my 12V power supply has protection and fuse on the output, no need to have cables with fuse (though I made one if I ever need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • iwols likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics