•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PlanetarySystemStacker - Installation issues

astrophotography imaging moon planet solar
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#76 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Messenger

• Loc: Carlsbad CA, near San Diego (Bortle 8)

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:37 PM

Any idea what's going on here?

This was one of nine AVIs in a batch all using the same settings. None of the others had the artifacts.

(Image intentionally over-processed to emphasize the problem.)

artifacts-1.jpg  

#77 radozd

radozd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 November 2022 - 12:43 PM

I wonder how can I completely uninstall this software?

I've installed it on my mac via pip3:

pip3 install planetary-system-stacker

Then after some usage I've decided to undo installation: 

pip3 uninstall planetary-system-stacker
pip3 uninstall astropy
pip3 uninstall contourpy
pip3 uninstall cycler
pip3 uninstall fonttools
pip3 uninstall imageio
pip3 uninstall kiwisolver
pip3 uninstall mathplotlib
pip3 uninstall networkx
pip3 uninstall matplotlib
pip3 uninstall numpy
pip3 uninstall Pillow
pip3 uninstall PyQt5
pip3 uninstall PyQt5-Qt5
pip3 uninstall PyQt5-sip
pip3 uninstall scipy
pip3 uninstall PyYAML
pip3 uninstall python-dateutil
pip3 uninstall scikit-image
pip3 uninstall tifffile
pip3 uninstall six
pip3 uninstall psutil
pip3 uninstall pyerfa
pip3 uninstall pyparsing
pip3 uninstall PyWavelets
pip3 uninstall opencv-python-headless
pip3 uninstall packaging

That's what I've found. That else should I remove?

repeating my question

#78 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:22 AM

Hi,

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice in Wonderland put it.

When I reprocessed the file with 'changing fast' off the same crop occurred—the opposite of yesterday's experience. (Turning it on didn't fix the issue.)

With 'exclude frames' dialog on, no reject frames were shown.

In a handful of frames the planet's ring does go off the left margin, but they were not excluded, apparently.

The video frames usually are chopped off in the stack size, ROI and alignment grid dialogues. I've quit and rerun the program perhaps a dozen times and only a few showed the whole planet.

But, you know what, this is the only AVI that has shown this problem and processed over 100. The Jupiter image I submitted above was the result of processing an AVI where Jupiter actually was over to the left throughout.

I think we should just chock this up to a bad AVI file. What's wrong with it I don't know, but let's simply ignore it.

But...

The wavelet dialog is driving me nuts.

I have four layers and one scrolls off the bottom. When I touch the scroll bar all the sliders jump to zero. The values in the boxes do not change.

Often, but not always, when I grab a slider it will jump to 100% and the values change accordingly. Usually the sliders reappear, if I change something else.

That said...

I processed a half a gig in 35 AVI files yesterday in Automatic mode and with the exception of three files the results were just as I would have done them by hand. Fantastic!

This is 12 of them composited in Photoshop.

attachicon.gifMoon 221114-5.jpeg

If the planet moves very much between frames, and if it is only partially visible on some of them, the chopping off which you observed is explained easily. After all, PSS in the ranking of frames looks at the image quality only and does not care if part of the planet has left the frame. Such frames, therefore, can be included in stacking. Since PSS in the end only shows the intersection of all used frames, part of the planet will be missing.

The only solutions I see are:

• Improve the guiding such that the planet is fully visible in all frames, or
  • manually exclude all frames where the planet has partially left the frame.

As to the wavelet dialog, the strange behaviour of the sliders has been reported by other Mac users before. This must be caused by a bug in the GUI toolkit PSS is based on. On Windows and Linux systems this problem does not appear. The only hope is that the devlopers of those libraries become aware of the problem and fix it in some future release.

All the best,

Rolf

• Tailspin45 likes this

#79 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:25 AM

Hi,

Any idea what's going on here?

This was one of nine AVIs in a batch all using the same settings. None of the others had the artifacts.

(Image intentionally over-processed to emphasize the problem.)

attachicon.gifartifacts-1.jpg

It looks like there is a strong variation in brrightness among frames (e.g. caused by clouds), coupled with ancomplete coverage with alignment patches across the lunar surface. You could try using larger alignment patches, such that the AP grid does not have any "holes".

All the best,

Rolf

• Tailspin45 likes this

#80 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

repeating my question

It seems you already uninstalled PSS and all its dependencies. If you don't have any other program on your computer using Python, you could uninstall the entire Python software. As far as I know, however, Python is already part of the standard OS installation. Since I don't know anything about Mac computers, however, I'm not sure.

All the best,

Rolf

#81 radozd

radozd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:25 AM

Hi,

It seems you already uninstalled PSS and all its dependencies. If you don't have any other program on your computer using Python, you could uninstall the entire Python software. As far as I know, however, Python is already part of the standard OS installation. Since I don't know anything about Mac computers, however, I'm not sure.

All the best,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks, but I'm interested in additional logs, settings files etc.. which I might have missed. Where should I look for them?

#82 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:31 AM

Hi Rolf,

Thanks, but I'm interested in additional logs, settings files etc.. which I might have missed. Where should I look for them?

Hi,

The only files PSS stores on your hard disk additionally to the stacking results are:

• A small file ".PlanetarySystemStacker.ini" in your home directory with persistent program settings
  • A file "PlanetarySystemStacker.log", also in your home directory with logging info. This file is only present if you checked the box "Write protocol fo file" in the configuration dialog.

All the best,

Rolf

#83 radozd

radozd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:39 AM

Hi,

The only files PSS stores on your hard disk additionally to the stacking results are:

• A small file ".PlanetarySystemStacker.ini" in your home directory with persistent program settings
  • A file "PlanetarySystemStacker.log", also in your home directory with logging info. This file is only present if you checked the box "Write protocol fo file" in the configuration dialog.

All the best,

Rolf

Found them. Thanks!

#84 jcridings

jcridings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:13 PM

Happy New Year to all.

I'm one of these people not really familiar with downloading packages, but figured I'd try. I'm using my new MacBook Pro with an M1 processor. After reading through this entire forum, I've managed to get Python3 and PSS installed, but it won't run. I suspect it may have something to do with ARM vs Intel like I read in one of the entries. I've uninstalled everything (including python3) and reinstalled with no luck. I uninstalled a long list of packages (found in one post) and expected it to download those packages, but I keep getting messages saying either "Requirement already satisfied" or "Using cached <package name>". 

1. How can I get this stuff un-cached and/or totally deleted from the system?

2. How can I "look" at a package and tell if it's ARM or Intel?

3. Is there a way to force pip3 install to get the Intel version?

These are the messages I'm getting. 

% PlanetarySystemStacker
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/bin/PlanetarySystemStacker", line 5, in <module>
    from planetary_system_stacker.planetary_system_stacker import main
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/planetary_system_stacker/planetary_system_stacker.py", line 64, in <module>
    from workflow import Workflow
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/planetary_system_stacker/workflow.py", line 40, in <module>
    from stack_frames import StackFrames
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/planetary_system_stacker/stack_frames.py", line 33, in <module>
    from numpy import int as np_int
ImportError: cannot import name 'int' from 'numpy' (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Jeff

#85 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:36 AM

Happy New Year to all.

I'm one of these people not really familiar with downloading packages, but figured I'd try. I'm using my new MacBook Pro with an M1 processor. After reading through this entire forum, I've managed to get Python3 and PSS installed, but it won't run. I suspect it may have something to do with ARM vs Intel like I read in one of the entries. I've uninstalled everything (including python3) and reinstalled with no luck. I uninstalled a long list of packages (found in one post) and expected it to download those packages, but I keep getting messages saying either "Requirement already satisfied" or "Using cached <package name>". 

1. How can I get this stuff un-cached and/or totally deleted from the system?

2. How can I "look" at a package and tell if it's ARM or Intel?

3. Is there a way to force pip3 install to get the Intel version?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Jeff

Happy New Year :-)

I have a MacBook Pro with an M1 Pro processor. PSS runs perfectly well on my machine. 

You need to run PSS under Rosetta2.

The easiest way to do this is to start all PSS related installations and the program itself with the arch command in a standard Terminal window.

You need to install the non-arm macOS version of Python 3 from the Python website prior to PSS.

Also, you must make sure that the python command in the Terminal window uses this non-arm version.

I described this procedure in my previous post here:

https://www.cloudyni...ues/?p=12253036

Good luck and let me know if this works for you.

Edited by Obs30, 01 January 2023 - 06:43 AM.

#86 jcridings

jcridings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

Gave it a try (i.e. arch) and still no joy. Got the same exact import error about numpy.

Is there some way to know if I'm getting x86_64 python when I download it? I just hit the download button for 3.11.1. 

I'm beginning to think there's actually something missing, either from numpy itself or from one of its dependencies. 

Thanks.

-Jeff

Edited by jcridings, 01 January 2023 - 05:17 PM.

#87 jcridings

jcridings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:36 PM

Brief update...

I completely wiped this laptop using Disk Utility and then reloaded the OS. Immediately loaded Python 3.11.1 and then pip3 install planetary-system-stacker. Twice actually since I was missing something to build the wheels (whatever those are). I did all this in a Rosetta terminal. Updated $PATH and aliased python to python3. Still getting that same error msg...

ImportError: cannot import name 'int' from 'numpy' (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py)

I'm out of ideas, especially given I started from a totally clean laptop.

Any other ideas out there? 

Thanks.

-Jeff

#88 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

Hi Jeff,

Indeed, strange.

OK... here is what (I think) I did... (from what I gathered and kind of remembered from the command history files of the zsh shell):

[ ... by the way, I also have brew installed, .. not sure if this has any indirect impact on this... ] 

1) Installing the macOS version of python, downloaded from the python.org website, in my case version 3.10.1:

https://www.python.o...ownloads/macos/

2) Opening the Terminal window, in standard mode, not under Rosetta2

3) In the Terminal window, ...

3.1) Updating pip (not sure if this is required, but I found it in my command history), you probably need to change the python version number. Use the tab key to autocomplete (I am sure you know this already ;-)):

~/.pyenv/versions/3.10.1/bin/python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip

3.2) Installing numpy:

~/.pyenv/versions/3.10.1/bin/python3 -m pip install numpy

[I also had installed astropy and matplotlib... although I don't think they are required for the installation of PSS]

3.3) Installing PSS:

arch -x86_64 pip3 install Planetary-System-Stacker

3.4) Running PSS

arch -x86_64 PlanetarySystemStacker

I did not uninstall any pre-installed programs that come with macOS.

After that I also created an "PSS App" utilizing Apple's Automator. 

Edited by Obs30, 03 January 2023 - 08:57 AM.

#89 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:12 AM

I do share the issues with the sliders for adjusting the wavelets under macOS (another user was very unhappy about this as well). The slides jump all over the place when trying to adjust and fine tune the parameters. I have to look at the actual values rather than the position of the sliders.

I guess, this is a Qt issue. Would be much better if this would have been done in XCODE with a macOS native GUI, such as UIKit or SwiftUI.

This is in general an issue for apps that are supposed to work under different architectures. The GUIs never work well nor do they look particularly nice... But then again, the people, who program all these apps, do a great job... it's the multi-platform GUIs that are the "compromise", not the underlying computational kernel.

Edited by Obs30, 03 January 2023 - 09:13 AM.

#90 jcridings

jcridings

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2023 - 03:29 PM

Hi Obs30,

I'm just all sorts of confused. 

I've tried all sorts of things including wiping out Python3.11 and downloading 3.10 instead. I went so far as to wipe my laptop using "Disk Utilities", reloading the OS, and then immediately downloading python and PSS. I also tried downloading a previous version of PSS. No matter what I do, I get the same error message about importing int from numpy (full traceback is in post #84 above).

I've tried looking at the code but I'm no python programmer and really don't have any idea what I'm looking at.

Okay, never mind. I noticed in pypi that numpy was updated on December 26th and I started this little project on the 29th. I downloaded a down level version of numpy (v 1.23.5) and that seems to work. Or, at least I got the first GUI (Quickstart guide). We'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks.

-Jeff 

• Obs30 likes this

#91 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2023 - 04:16 PM

Okay, never mind. I noticed in pypi that numpy was updated on December 26th and I started this little project on the 29th. I downloaded a down level version of numpy (v 1.23.5) and that seems to work. Or, at least I got the first GUI (Quickstart guide). We'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks.

-Jeff 

That's real progress :-) Should work now.

This is this typical linux/python "stuff". A very likely brilliant person somewhere in this world makes a "cool update" and breaks libraries and dependencies for thousand others. This was the original reason why I got rid of Linux many years ago and changed to Mac... a UNIX systems that works and that is compatible with the rest of the world out-of-the-box. Most of the time... 

Now with the the two architectures in parallel (Intel and Apple Silicon) we are facing new challenges.

On the other hand ... I am running so many iPad apps on my MBP now, which is a whole new great ball game on its own.

#92 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2023 - 06:12 AM

Definitely an issue of the numpy version.

This issue is being discussed on the GitHub page of PSS:
https://github.com/R...acker/issues/60

As assumed by Jeff already, the problem is hence unrelated to the operating system!

Edited by Obs30, 07 January 2023 - 06:12 AM.

#93 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

I had numpy version 1.21.4 installed on my Windows system, and everything worked just fine. I just upgraded numpy to the latest version (1.24.1) to see what would happen. Interstingly, during the upgrade I got the error message:

ERROR: pip's dependency resolver does not currently take into account all the packages that are installed. This behaviour is the source of the following dependency conflicts.
scipy 1.7.3 requires numpy<1.23.0,>=1.16.5, but you have numpy 1.24.1 which is incompatible.

and when I ran PSS afterwards, I got the numpy error:

ImportError: cannot import name 'int' from 'numpy' (C:\Python39\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py)

I then replaced numpy with version 1.23.0, and everything worked fine again. So, the problem is really an inconsistency between scipy and numpy versions. I added the requirement "numpy < 1.23.0" for all PSS versions on PyPI, so the problem should be fixed (PSS version 0.9.5). To upgrade to the newest PSS version, just enter "pip3 install --upgrade planetary-system-stacker" in a terminal.

By the way: The discussion on Github (issue #60) was mainly on a different topic. The developers of the skimage package had moved a function between versions. I had included the change in PSS, but then PSS did not work with older skimage versions any more. PSS now tries both ways, so the problem should be fixed as well.

All the best,

Rolf

• Obs30 likes this

#94 Obs30

Obs30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2023 - 03:28 AM

@Rolf

Thanks for clarifying and fixing the issue! Highly appreciated!

Edited by Obs30, 14 January 2023 - 03:49 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, moon, planet, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics