•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tools to Support Photometry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:18 PM

I have been experimenting with software tools for data processing and have a couple of observations:

1) If you are not aware of the tool, ASTAP, it offers incredibly fast plate solving, FITS conversion, and binning batch processing options.  It will plate solve an image in around 0.5 secs! It also displays magnitudes of all known stars in an image, the location of variable stars in an image, and even attempts to identify unknown stars in an image.

2) In Astrometry.net, can someone clarify the meaning of the red, green and co-located circles in the red-green plot?

3) For small FOV images, is there an online tool that will take the image and identify star magnitude and color/temp to aid selection of comparison stars.

My FOV is small (30x30 arc mins) and the AAVSO 'finder chart' often indicates no comparison stars? 

CS Gary

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

yep, have heard good things as well about ASTAP for photometry. I believe NINA uses it for plate solving too.

#3 DEnc

DEnc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

<snip>

3) For small FOV images, is there an online tool that will take the image and identify star magnitude and color/temp to aid selection of comparison stars.

<snip>

MPO Canopus does an excellent job of this, but it is neither online nor free. It is incredibly affordable for what it delivers, and its author, Brian Warner, offers speedy and reliable support on the software's forum.

Also of possible interest: as well as using the star catalogs included in the software package, you can add stars to a User catalog to identify stars of interest in your images, such as AAVSO CompStars, for example.

#4 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

I've discovered that ASTAP, the tool I already had to hand, will do this if you download a replacement, slightly larger, database (still only 680MB file for down to 17th mag stars).  I'm now able to establish Johnson-V magnitude and GBp-GRp for any star in my FOV, thus I'm using this to refine my selection of comparison stars.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics