•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PlanetarySystemStacker - Program crashes and other execution problems

imaging astrophotography moon planet solar
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Edgewood, New Mexico

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:38 PM

Hi Peter,

What if you copy all those ".fits" files (and only those) into a new directory and process that directory? Does the error still show?

All the best,

Rolf

Rolf, I just tried this, and it worked.  I am not sure what was hidden in that original folder, but the new folder trick solved it!
But I was not able to get PSS to align the images.  There must have been too much movement between the frames.  I used PixInsight to align them and then I was able to stack and process in PSS.  

Thanks for your help and suggestion!  Here's the result of processing 16 frames.  I will now go ahead and capture hundreds, and in color.

Moon-16May-CN.jpg

#27 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:44 AM

Hi Peter,

Good to hear that PSS was able to read the FITS files! Obviously there was some hidden file in the original folder which caused the problem.

Did you try increasing the parameter "Stabilization search width (pixels)" in parameter group "Frame-related Parameters"? If there is much movement between frames, this may help. You can go up to the maximum of 150 pixels.

All the best,

Rolf

#28 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:38 AM

Rolf

(this is all referring to Linux install)

I was very frustrated the first time I tried to install your software many months ago and could never get it working. I gave up on it.

I have downloaded it fresh and I still CANNOT get it to install.

Your instructions in "PyPI_Instructions.txt" are 100 times more complicated than they should be. I have been developing linux software for decades.  How about a SINGLE install file without having to read pages of install instructions.

I download your files, I see "setup_linux.py", that makes sense, so I try to run it. NOTHING, it just sits there.

In the "PyPI_Instructions.txt" there are lines that start with "#", this is a LINUX comment line, so it is unclear if that line is supposed to be run or not.

what is "Upload the package to PyPI:"

I dont want to upload any software to anyplace.  I dont even know if it is working, why would I want to upload your software to some repository.  Thats your job.

I have 40+ years software development experience, but zero on Python, it appears to me anyway that you need to be an ADVANCED python user to understand any of this.

---- more info

After reading many pages of your documentation, I found where it says

pip3 install planetary-system-stacker

And I get

user@user-Latitude-E6520:~$ pip3 install planetary-system-stacker
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pip3", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/user/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/__init__.py", line 12, in main
    from pip._internal.utils.entrypoints import _wrapper
  File "/home/user/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/entrypoints.py", line 4, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main import main
  File "/home/user/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/main.py", line 58
    sys.stderr.write(f"ERROR: {exc}")
                                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have the latest version of python, at least when I do an "apt-get install python3" it says I have the latest version (Python 3.5.2)

Edited by mark77, 25 May 2021 - 05:47 AM.

#29 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:53 AM

Hi mark77,

The problem seems to be caused by the Python 3 installation on your system. The error message when you enter "pip3 ..." indicates to me that "pip3" is not working properly. Can you install other software using this command?

The files "PyPI_Instructions.txt" and "setup_Linux.py" are not intended to be used by PSS users. Instead, I need them when I prepare new releases of the software which I then upload to the PyPI server. That is why they are not mentioned in the user guide document. I agree with you that you need to be an ADVANCED python programmer to make any sense of files like these. But a user should never need to delve so deeply into my source code.

All the best,

Rolf

#30 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:40 AM

Rolf

You are most likely correct.  I never even heard of pip until I started reading your documentation.  I have been programming professionally for over 40 years (C/C++) and do not know python.  I installed python, I know that is working because I do run some other python programs, but they were installed with the normal linux installers, not pip. (the way the should be in my opinion).

I tried to do the pip upgrade, but even that does not work.

Basically this entire process has made me hate python...........

The problem is, I refuse to use Windows and I really want to use your program.  If I cant get it to install, I might just have to write my own...  and I dont currently have time to do that.

Do you know how to REMOVE pip so I can start over????

Mark

#31 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

Rolf

You are most likely correct.  I never even heard of pip until I started reading your documentation.  I have been programming professionally for over 40 years (C/C++) and do not know python.  I installed python, I know that is working because I do run some other python programs, but they were installed with the normal linux installers, not pip. (the way the should be in my opinion).

I tried to do the pip upgrade, but even that does not work.

Basically this entire process has made me hate python...........

The problem is, I refuse to use Windows and I really want to use your program.  If I cant get it to install, I might just have to write my own...  and I dont currently have time to do that.

Do you know how to REMOVE pip so I can start over????

Mark

Hi Mark,

Since you are running on Linux, I am going to suggest something different. The reason is that Python is most likely a part of the OS in that various things Linux does are handled by Python scripts. PIP then is part of the OS and removing it may have unintended consequences.

I suggest you set up a copy of Python in your user account and that further, you configure your user account to use that copy of Python. You can then make sure that you have the correct version of Python, as opposed to whatever version the OS has installed. (This, unfortunately, matters.) You can also make sure you have the correct, in terms of version, set of add on packages.

There are tools to help manage this. Here is a web page that discusses managing multiple version of python on the same machine:

https://realpython.com/intro-to-pyenv/

If you also need to have multiple versions of packages, that can also be managed. (You might need this if one Python tool had a hard dependency on a given package and another needed a different version. And you needed both applications.)

https://realpython.c...ments-a-primer/

If Planetary System Stacker is the only Python project you intend to run, skip the virtual environment.

As an alternative, there is a Windows installer for Planetary System Stacker. There is also the WINE package for running Windows programs on a Linux machine. While I haven't tried this, I have gotten other Windows astrophotography software to run on my Linux box. (PIPP and Autostakkert.)

#32 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:44 AM

As an alternative, there is a Windows installer for Planetary System Stacker. There is also the WINE package for running Windows programs on a Linux machine. While I haven't tried this, I have gotten other Windows astrophotography software to run on my Linux box. (PIPP and Autostakkert.)

Jeffry

Thank you for this except for the last part.  I DONT DO WINDOWS!!!!!!!!  And WINE is Windows.......

The rest of it is all very useful information.  As I stated, I dont know much of anything about Python.

Believe it or not, I would rather write an entire application from scratch myself than be forced to use Windows.  And this is not just talk, I actually have done it.  I have my entire observatory running on Linux and 95% of it is code I wrote.  I have implemented Alpaca (ASCOM for non-Windows) and it is all open source.

Mark

• Ron359 likes this

#33 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:56 AM

PSS works perfectly on linux or mac and is a piece of cake to install. Highly recommended!

Jeffry

Thank you for this except for the last part.  I DONT DO WINDOWS!!!!!!!!  And WINE is Windows.......

The rest of it is all very useful information.  As I stated, I dont know much of anything about Python.

Believe it or not, I would rather write an entire application from scratch myself than be forced to use Windows.  And this is not just talk, I actually have done it.  I have my entire observatory running on Linux and 95% of it is code I wrote.  I have implemented Alpaca (ASCOM for non-Windows) and it is all open source.

Mark

#34 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:39 AM

PSS works perfectly on linux or mac and is a piece of cake to install. Highly recommended!

Do you have a link for installing a Mac version of PSS?  I'm not finding it...   thx.   

#35 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:37 PM

Do you have a link for installing a Mac version of PSS?  I'm not finding it...   thx.   

I use the same install on mac as on linux:

Then for updates:

pip3 install --upgrade planetary-system-stacker

#36 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

Rolf

On a brand new linux install I still cannot get PSS to run

I issue these commands

sudo apt install python3-pip

then I try to run it (BTW, it is linux convention for command names to be lower case, NOT UPPER CASE)

PlanetarySystemStacker

and I get

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Again, this is a brand new system, fresh install of ubuntu 20 LTS

#37 newtoumlab

newtoumlab

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: La Wantzenau, France

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:08 AM

Hi mark77 smile.gif

type 'pip3 install opencv-python-headless' in the terminal, it should solve your issue!

Edited by newtoumlab, 16 June 2021 - 04:15 AM.

#38 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:50 AM

Hi mark77 smile.gif

type 'pip3 install opencv-python-headless' in the terminal, it should solve your issue!

Thanks,  I tried that and I got

Requirement already satisfied: opencv-python-headless in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages (4.5.2.54)
Requirement already satisfied: numpy>=1.17.3 in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages (from opencv-python-headless) (1.20.3)

And it still crashes

#39 newtoumlab

newtoumlab

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: La Wantzenau, France

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

opencv-python-headless is now installed by default with PSS anyway...
There might be a problem with one or several of the python paths, which would explain why PSS can't find opencv-python-headless.

I would suggest trying to set-up a Python virtual environment and install PSS (Current PSS version is 0.8.31.2) into this virtual environment.

1. 'python3-venv' and 'python3.8-dev' are required. Install them first.

2. Create the virtual environment

In your terminal, type:

python3 -m venv --copies PSSsa08312

It will create a folder named 'PSSsa08312' in your home directory. Python (bin) will be copied there.

3. Install PSS in the virtual environment

- To be able to install PSS, you have to be in your virtual environment: type in your terminal (replace mark77 if needed):

source '/home/mark77/PSSsa08312/bin/activate'

- Now that you are in your virtual environment, type:

pip3 install wheel

followed by:   pip3 install planetary-system-stacker

- Exit your virtual environment, type: deactivate

4. Create the following bash script:

#!/bin/bash

source '/home/mark77/PSSsa08312/bin/activate'

PlanetarySystemStacker

deactivate

5.  make the script executable and launch

If you want to get rid of both PSS and its virtual environment, just delete the folder named 'PSSsa08312' in your home directory.

#40 Kimmo

Kimmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

Rolf

On a brand new linux install I still cannot get PSS to run

I issue these commands

sudo apt install python3-pip

then I try to run it (BTW, it is linux convention for command names to be lower case, NOT UPPER CASE)

PlanetarySystemStacker

and I get

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Again, this is a brand new system, fresh install of ubuntu 20 LTS

Hi

I had the same problem after upgrading PSS. The solution for me was a command

sudo apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

This solution has been given by Rolf in one earlier post.

cheers, Kimmo

• mark77 likes this

#41 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:21 AM

Hi

I had the same problem after upgrading PSS. The solution for me was a command

sudo apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

This solution has been given by Rolf in one earlier post.

cheers, Kimmo

Thanks, that seems to have done the job

Mark

#42 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So Cal, US

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:17 PM

Help!! I have finally found this forum and I am in need of some directions.  I have downloaded and installed Python 3.9, installed Planetary-System-Stacker on my MacAir Pro (early 2015) running macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7. 

I had converted the raw image files from my EOS RP for darks, flats and lights of a Gibbous Moon into a 16 bit Tif files with the Canon DPP 4 batch process. I found PSS on YouTube and decided to give it a try.  I once was able to create a Master Dark file and saved that file. Subsequently I have failed to create anything else.  I have tried changing the configuration, recopying files from my ext drive to my local drive, reinstalling Python3 and PSS,  and tried to install upgrade per a previous post for Linux problem that was similar.  

Every time I get a crash that looks like

"15-40-26.4 Error in creating master dark frame: Reading first frame: Attempt to read image format other than 'tiff', 'tif', '.png', '.jpg' or 'fit', 'fits'" in my terminal window.

I am minimally aware of the terminal operation and would appreciate any help.  I had tried post processing on other tif files and was amazed at the improvement I saw, but couldn't tell you what the image came from other than opening the tif file and post process several layers.  I can't remember how I was able to open the tif files at the time, but can't post screenshots of the dialogs that show the files and the resulting "_gpp.tiff" files of 10 images.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 15.41.11.png

Edited by Mocatsma, 19 July 2021 - 06:34 PM.

#43 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:18 PM

Help!! I have finally found this forum and I am in need of some directions.  I have downloaded and installed Python 3.9, installed Planetary-System-Stacker on my MacAir Pro (early 2015) running macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7. 

I had converted the raw image files from my EOS RP for darks, flats and lights of a Gibbous Moon into a 16 bit Tif files with the Canon DPP 4 batch process. I found PSS on YouTube and decided to give it a try.  I once was able to create a Master Dark file and saved that file. Subsequently I have failed to create anything else.  I have tried changing the configuration, recopying files from my ext drive to my local drive, reinstalling Python3 and PSS,  and tried to install upgrade per a previous post for Linux problem that was similar.  

"15-40-26.4 Error in creating master dark frame: Reading first frame: Attempt to read image format other than 'tiff', 'tif', '.png', '.jpg' or 'fit', 'fits'" in my terminal window.

I am minimally aware of the terminal operation and would appreciate any help.  I had tried post processing on other tif files and was amazed at the improvement I saw, but couldn't tell you what the image came from other than opening the tif file and post process several layers.  I can't remember how I was able to open the tif files at the time, but can't post screenshots of the dialogs that show the files and the resulting "_gpp.tiff" files of 10 images.  

Can you open the first frame and the dark frame you are trying to apply in some other program? If you can't, than possibly one of the files is corrupt.

The other possibility is that PSS needs these frames to be the exact same kind of TIFF. The same bit depth. Possibly the same compression scheme. The same width and height. etc...

If you can open the frames fine in some viewer, I would next examine the details of the TIFF file and see if they are not the same kind of TIFF. For this I suggest IrfanView which is free. In IrfanView open your image and the select the Info button which is a blue circle with an "i" in it. Or go to the Image menu and select Information. Many other viewers and editors will also give you fine details about the kind of tiff.

• Mocatsma likes this

#44 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

I am trying to resave all the raw images with the same settings, then I'll try PSS.  I'll clear the master file in case it gets loaded up when I restart PSS.  It will be a little while before I get the batch processes done but they are going on in the background ATM.  I'll be waiting to see what I can do with the new files.  In Siril, the raw images are converted to .fits, if this doesn't work, I'll load them into Siril and convert them to .fits and then see if I can use PSS.  I was worried that the v 3.9 of Python isn't working with PSS, but I'll keep tabs on this forum to see what the users know.

#45 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:36 PM

I finished the batch conversion of my raw images with DPP 4(Canon) and put them in the working directory. I still have failure to read .tif files error when I tried to create a master Dark Frame. Attached is a screen shot of the terminal window.  Not sure why the failing to find the one resource other than seeing "rt.1" in the source code but the error saying "libmkl_rt.dylib".  Also, still wondering if Python v. 3.9 is not supported in macOS environment for the PSS given the setup_macos.py contains "< 3.9" in the command.Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 21.31.01.png Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 21.42.25.png

Edited by Mocatsma, 19 July 2021 - 11:45 PM.

#46 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

First of all, what you describe is an error message, and not a program crash, right? After the message, the program should stay responsive. Or does the program really crash?

Are you sure that the folder with your .tiff files does not contain any other (hidden) file? You could try to create a new folder and move the tiff files (and nothing else) there. In the file chooser where you select the input for dark frame creation, you must choose the name of the folder, and not the individual images in the folder.

And, as jeffry7 wrote, all tiff files must have the same pixel dimensions. But even if they do not, this should result in another PSS error message.

Does the problem only occur in dark frame processing? What if you open a single tiff file for postprocessing?

Edited by Rolf, 20 July 2021 - 08:36 AM.

#47 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

First of all, what you describe is an error message, and not a program crash, right? After the message, the program should stay responsive. Or does the program really crash?

Are you sure that the folder with your .tiff files does not contain any other (hidden) file? You could try to create a new folder and move the tiff files (and nothing else) there. In the file chooser where you select the input for dark frame creation, you must choose the name of the folder, and not the individual images in the folder.

And, as jeffry7 wrote, all tiff files must have the same pixel dimensions. But even if they do not, this should result in another PSS error message.

Does the problem only occur in dark frame processing? What if you open a single tiff file for postprocessing?

I was able to process the single files without problems. When I completed this part, I tried to create a new Master Dark and the program quit. Attached is the dialog and the terminal window echo.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.34.00.png
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.34.25.png

Edited by Mocatsma, 20 July 2021 - 01:40 PM.

#48 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:41 PM

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 15.27.05.png Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 15.28.54.png Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 15.29.21.png

I was able to process the single files without problems. When I completed this part, I tried to create a new Master Dark and the program quit. Attached is the dialog and the terminal window echo.

#49 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:43 PM

The program crashed when I tried to create a master flat.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 15.34.07.png

#50 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

Most problems (program crashes) are related to bugs which I fixed a long time ago. You are using a very old version (0.8.16), because newer versions are not compatible with Python 3.9 on MacOS.

But even that seems not to explain the file datatype problem reported in dark file processing. Did you try my suggestion to move the .tiff files only into a new directory and use that one for the dark file processing?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, astrophotography, moon, planet, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics