•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PlanetarySystemStacker - Program crashes and other execution problems

imaging astrophotography moon planet solar
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 Mocatsma

Mocatsma

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So Cal, US

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

Most problems (program crashes) are related to bugs which I fixed a long time ago. You are using a very old version (0.8.16), because newer versions are not compatible with Python 3.9 on MacOS.

But even that seems not to explain the file datatype problem reported in dark file processing. Did you try my suggestion to move the .tiff files only into a new directory and use that one for the dark file processing?

I hope I found the reason, the images were converted as a batch with Canon's DPP 4 to a 16 bit Tiff file, when I opened the image in GIMP, a thumbnail is also part of the file.  I imported as layer and only selected the page 1 and then exported to a new directory.  I repeated this 5x's for each Darks, Lights and Flats.  I was able to stack in PSS using these images.  Now I have to find out why the Darks didn't match the Flats and was deactivated.  I also have to find a way to batch convert the raw images to TIFF without a thumbnail, or start shooting videos.

#52 rbarbera

rbarbera

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:46 AM

Hi all,

I'm configuring a brand new MacBookPro with M1 processor (arm64) running macOS 11.4 (BigSur). I've installed pyenv and make the python 3.8.10 the default environment. When I try to install planetary-system-stacker I receive a plain response:

$ pip install planetary-system-stacker
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement planetary-system-stacker (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for planetary-system-stacker

Any clue about installing PPS on a current macOS machine?

Thanks

#53 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:36 AM

Hi,

Are you sure that "pip" really relates to the python 3.8.10 installation? For MacOS currently PSS requires a Python version > 3.5 and < 3.9, so 3.8 10 should be just fine.

I don't know anything about MacOS, but on Linux and Windows I have often seen that pip is used to install Python 2.7 software. To install a package for Python 3.x you have to type "pip3" instead. Could that be the problem in your case as well?

All the best,

Rolf

• rbarbera likes this

#54 rbarbera

rbarbera

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:13 AM

Hi Rolf,

Yes, I'm pretty sure that pip is from python 3.8, because I've checked it wink.gif

$ pip -V
pip 21.1.3 from /Users/rlbe/.pyenv/versions/3.8.10/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip (python 3.8)

Anyway, I've tried with pip3 with the same results

$ pip3 install planetary-system-stacker
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement planetary-system-stacker (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for planetary-system-stacker

One thing to keep in mind: this computer is a MacBookPro with a M1 chip. This means that the architecture is not Intel x86_64 anymore, but arm64

If you need any extra information about this kind of machines, I can provide it. Do you prefer that I create an issue on GitHub and we keep all the analysis and fix there?

Regards

Edited by rbarbera, 29 July 2021 - 02:17 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, astrophotography, moon, planet, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics