•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2021

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

Reading this will take place April 10,11.... will be interesting to see what products everyone has been working on since they have had an extra 9 months to get them ready

• astronutcase likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:28 PM

Looks like the dates is still TBD?

Can't see this going on as scheduled but....

#3 chakel

chakel

Mariner 2

• Loc: No. CA

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

I thought that it was already canceled.

#4 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

Looks like dates TBD at this point:  http://www.rocklanda....com/neaf.html#

#5 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

It appears that there may be some different web pages that are out there for NEAF. the one I found has it listed as virtual for 2021,
http://www.rocklanda....com/neaf1.html

from that page, "Due to the ongoing pandemic, the World’s Largest Astronomy & Space Expo has been rescheduled as a Free Virtual Experience for 2021."

Tom, down here in a suburb of DC, we are registered (since we are in the group 1B, over 65), but likely won't be getting the first shot for weeks, perhaps months, per what was indicated.

Getting Back to normal may take a while. A congressman who had both shots of the 95% effective Pfizer vaccine  just tested positive for Covid, for example., despite having the second shot well before the positive test.  

https://www.cbsnews....ose-of-vaccine/

#6 GSBass

GSBass

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:19 PM

Here is the website I got the April dates from.... the verbiage talks about 2020 being canceled but not 2021 https://www.neafexpo.com

#7 GSBass

GSBass

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

Guessing if they do cancel it suppliers will go ahead and do roll outs anyway..... I could have seen them pushing back launches a matter of months do to uncertainty but getting unrealistic based on a trade show, especially since supposedly covid has brought more people back in to the hobby

#8 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

If this years NEAF does happen I most likely will skip it this year just to be on the safe side. I enjoyed the virtual experience last year and would definitely enjoy another virtual experience again this year if they give us that again. 

#9 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

NEAF is doing a "Virtual" thing in April. there will be no NEAIC this year.

• Bill Jensen, George N and wiyosaya like this

#10 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:39 PM

This is a personal FYI from me to you guys, you can keep checking the RAC web site for updates on NEAF, but don't hold you breath for anything new. as for NEAIC, check the NEAIC FaceBook page or here on Cloudy Nights for updates. I will be updating the FB page next week but what that update will say is that there will NOT! be a 2021 NEAIC, not live, or any other way.

If you paid for NEAIC 2020 and you used RAC's on line pay site your payment will apply to NEAIC 2022, if that does not work for you, you will need to take that up with RAC, I have no way of refunding anything from the online pay site, that's all up to RAC.

If you paid for NEAIC 2020 via Check and that check was sent to me directly, that check was either returned to you or was destroyed last June, so void it in your check register.

Any other questions please PM me here or on FaceBook.

Please keep in mind,  I'm not a member of RAC, I am not on the board of RAC, so I have very little influence in setting their policy's regarding RAC, NEAF.

Edited by Bob Moore, 03 February 2021 - 03:54 PM.

• George N, RedLionNJ, astronutcase and 2 others like this

#11 GSBass

GSBass

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

Sounds like a good time for someone to start a new trade expo

• rlmxracer likes this

#12 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:36 PM

Others have tried, all have Failed!!!!

• Bill Jensen and George N like this

#13 albln

albln

Sputnik

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for providing clear, true and concise information, Bob. Your efforts and work are really appreciated. 

Al

• RobTeeter, Bill Jensen, George N and 3 others like this

#14 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:59 AM

It seems like NEAIC, in particular, is something that could be done virtually. A number of platforms exist to facilitate this.  Either way looking forward to AIC in the fall. 

• dmdouglass likes this

#15 wiyosaya

wiyosaya

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

First, let me briefly introduce myself as I am new to CN and the forum. Many years ago, I experimented with film astrophotography, however, I have not done much since. I have a 12" Meade LX200 classic that I am revisiting in part, to once again explore my interests in astronomy including astrophotography.

NEAIC/NEAF 2020 would have been my first experience with those conferences, and like most of the rest of the CN members posting to this thread, I have been looking for information on NEAF/NEAIC for this year.

NEAF, according to this page, is going to be a, free, virtual event on April 10th, 2021.

On NEAIC, I had a good telephone conversation with Bob Moore bow.gif this morning. I am sure he will chime in if I misrepresent anything he said. wink.gif  From my conversation, for those who do not know this already, I gather that NEAIC is intended to bring together equipment designers/manufacturers/company owners, not sales people, and users or prospective users of that equipment; in other words, NEAIC's prime focus wink.gif  is networking. Attendance is required for those equipment designers/manufacturers/company owners at the breakfasts and lunches in order to facilitate networking and information exchange with the users, and if anyone had unanswered questions, those meals would be a great place to approach the appropriate person to answer those questions.

Bob feels that that level of contact is not possible in the context of a virtual event, and myself having participated in at least one virtual conference in the past year, I also think achieving that level of contact would be difficult, at best, in the context of a virtual event. For instance, if there was a presentation that someone wanted to attend, and missed the live version of it, it would be more difficult to ask a question with respect to the topic of that presentation after having viewed a recording of the event.

For me, I agree with his viewpoint, and I am content to wait until, and looking forward to when, NEAIC can be held live again.

• Midnight Skies, kreegan99 and Andy01 like this

#16 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

...... NEAIC's prime focus wink.gif  is networking. Attendance is required for those equipment designers/manufacturers/company owners at the breakfasts and lunches in order to facilitate networking and information exchange with the users, .....

I've attended about 4 or 5 times -- and "networking" was the main reason I went. If you want 'imaging videos' - YouTube is full of them.

BTW -- Rockland County is 'celebrating' having fewer than 200 new covid cases per day! I really don't see a bunch of people - mostly old guys - going there this Spring.

Edited by George N, 10 February 2021 - 11:08 AM.

• kreegan99 likes this

#17 GSBass

GSBass

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

Old guys are the only ones that can get the vaccine... Party on!

I've attended about 4 or 5 times -- and "networking" was the main reason I went. If you want 'imaging videos' - YouTube is full of them.

BTW -- Rockland County is 'celebrating' having fewer than 200 new covid cases per day! I really don't see a bunch of people - mostly old guys - going there this Spring.

#18 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:58 AM

I hate to tell you, but not even all guys can get the vaccine in New York

• George N likes this

#19 DennisK

DennisK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

I've been to the last 9 NEAIC's.  I find "networking" to be too formal a word.   I prefer fellowship and comeraderie.  Sure, you spend a lot of time talking to the vendors about their goods and the attendees about what they're doing in imaging but there are a lot of interersting non-astronomy stories - Jim Moronski's adventures in farming, Gordon Haynes and his dogs, Tove Gudim in the far reaches of the Northern Hemisphere, or a certain unnamed retired "James Bond" type and his tales of intrigue and mystery.

• Bob Moore, George N and Paramount like this

#20 astronutcase

astronutcase

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

I think we should all thank Bob Moore. He's done a great job running the NEIAC event. He's always told us to send checks directly to him rather than use the online procedure. Those of us that followed his advice came out ahead of the game in 2020 (I don't know what's happening to the funds submitted online). I know NEIAC has required a lot of work even during normal times. Last year must have been a nightmare for Bob. It only makes sense that it can't be held in 2021. I just hope Bob hangs in there and is willing to repeat his great effort when good time return (hopefully in 2022).  

• Bill Jensen, Bob Moore, George N and 3 others like this

#21 kreegan99

kreegan99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Endwell, NY

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

Bob feels that that level of contact is not possible in the context of a virtual event, and myself having participated in at least one virtual conference in the past year, I also think achieving that level of contact would be difficult, at best, in the context of a virtual event. For instance, if there was a presentation that someone wanted to attend, and missed the live version of it, it would be more difficult to ask a question with respect to the topic of that presentation after having viewed a recording of the event.

For me, I agree with his viewpoint, and I am content to wait until, and looking forward to when, NEAIC can be held live again.

I have been to NEAIC 4 times now in a row.  I wholeheartedly agree with Bob.  While I like the talks, and the intro classes were key when I was a total newbie.  I love seeing the vendors, other new astrophotographers, and really good friends on social media who I may only see at NEAIC in a given year.  Fellowship is a great word for it!

And I agree - Tons of thanks to Bob Moore.  Thanks for sinking your heart into the event.  We will all be there for you on the other side of this COIVD stuff.

#22 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

Hi All, thanks for the kind words and yes I do sink my heart into every NEAIC event. Look, for me it's also personal, there is no way for me to put together a great NEAIC when countries, states, and local municipalities are restricting travel, total number people at an event, hotels restricting the number of rooms available, colleges and universities restricting faculty travel, the list goes on and on. Then, the whole concept of bring hundreds of primarily older people into a close environment for three days and two nights with covid-19 all over the place in a neighborhood who historically and overwhelmingly does not vaccinate and all the moral issues that brings. 

Lets turn to what would be needed for (and I hate this word) virtual NEAIC. First, a minimum of 15 speakers who would give a minimum of 4 hours each to prep two altogether different talks and present them starting at 9:00 am and in some cases 11:00pm, in three different virtual rooms simultaneously. Then, when all that is going on in another virtual room, 30 + equipment manufacturers each in their own virtual rooms so attendees can go room to room and talk to the manufacturers. With all that how to do virtual breakfast and NEAIC's world class lunch not to mention an evening at the virtual bar?

If anyone thinks they can do it PM me and we will talk about the other 500 things that would need to be none in the next 35 days.

It warms my hart that so many of you people understand the issues and that I'm trying  to keep NEAIC the place to be if your an imager and not just a video that your not really paying attention to because the baby's crying in the other not virtual room.

• George N, Paramount, kreegan99 and 3 others like this

#23 DennisK

DennisK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:08 PM

Hi All, thanks for the kind words and yes I do sink my heart into every NEAIC event.

<...snip...>

VIRTUAL BAR!!  Now THAT sounds like something worth working on waytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif

• Bob Moore, George N and ollie31770 like this

#24 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:47 PM

NEAIC/NEAF dates for 2022 are NEAIC- setup April 6 NEAIC April 7,8 2022 NEAF- April 9, 10 2022. .... (maybe, if this BS gets under control by then)

Edited by Bob Moore, 06 April 2021 - 03:07 PM.

• ewave and kreegan99 like this

#25 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

I miss the REAL NEAF & NEAIC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics