•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion AstroView 90EQ Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

Hey all! I’m pretty new to all this and got a 90mm, 910mm f/10 refractor for Christmas and I have been really enjoying the views. I’ve made some upgrades and I really like what I’ve seen through this so far (Saturn, Jupiter and it’s moons, Mars, Mercury, Uranus, M42/43, the moon, etc). Anybody else own this exact refractor or one with similar specs? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions! Equipment list in signature!

Attached Thumbnails

• A43A021D-7D93-4E53-AC6B-1CCD51731F5B.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, 3 i Guy, BRCoz and 7 others like this

#2 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

"The best telescope is the one you use."  Looks like you're using, and enjoying, your telescope.  Good on you!

• beanerds, rocketsteve, AndresEsteban and 1 other like this

#3 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

"The best telescope is the one you use."  Looks like you're using, and enjoying, your telescope.  Good on you!

I agree with this statement. It’s the best telescope I have ever used haha! It’s light and portable. Easy to take in and out of the house or pack up in my car to take. I can see planets, double stars and nebulas! Haven’t seen a galaxy yet but that’s on my radar!

• Lewis Cason and brlasy1 like this

#4 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

My friend has one of these and is really happy with the views.  Almost CA-free at f/10

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

Matt:

It's been a while but I have owned an observed with a 90mm F/10 (maybe F/11).  I have much more experience with the smaller brother, the 80mm F/11s which have the same focal length. The reason is that they are more common.  

I find a 900mm focal length with a 90mm to be a nice balance, there is some chromatic aberration, but it's minor compared to the short focal length F/5 achromats and it's a nice compromise, much more manageable than the F/15s that are over a foot longer.  A good all around scope. 

I always liked the idea of a 2 inch focuser on these scopes, they are slow enough that eyepieces like the 38mm Q70 will perform nicely and you will get a 2.9 degree TFOV with one, that's wide enough for practical purpose, maybe sometime you will invest in a 2 inch diagonal and eyepiece.  

I used mine for everything, double stars, the planets, brighter DSOs.  This is a photo of an old Meade 80mm F/11 with a 2 inch focuser.. 

Meade 310 2 inch focuser.jpg

I'd recommend some double stars if you haven't tried them yet. Castor is a nice, it's easy and stunningly beautiful. Gamma Andromedae is another, it's unequal magnitude, two different colors and reasonably wide.  Gamma Arietis is another favorite.  And one should not forget "beta Mons", a beautiful triple in Monceros.   

There are some tricky ones, Polaris is a double with a faint companion.  Alnitak is a fun one, pretty close and unequal, it's in Orion.

Jon 

• wprince, Lewis Cason, James1996 and 1 other like this

#6 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Matt:

It's been a while but I have owned an observed with a 90mm F/10 (maybe F/11).  I have much more experience with the smaller brother, the 80mm F/11s which have the same focal length. The reason is that they are more common.  

I find a 900mm focal length with a 90mm to be a nice balance, there is some chromatic aberration, but it's minor compared to the short focal length F/5 achromats and it's a nice compromise, much more manageable than the F/15s that are over a foot longer.  A good all around scope. 

I always liked the idea of a 2 inch focuser on these scopes, they are slow enough that eyepieces like the 38mm Q70 will perform nicely and you will get a 2.9 degree TFOV with one, that's wide enough for practical purpose, maybe sometime you will invest in a 2 inch diagonal and eyepiece.  

I used mine for everything, double stars, the planets, brighter DSOs.  This is a photo of an old Meade 80mm F/11 with a 2 inch focuser.. 

I'd recommend some double stars if you haven't tried them yet. Castor is a nice, it's easy and stunningly beautiful. Gamma Andromedae is another, it's unequal magnitude, two different colors and reasonably wide.  Gamma Arietis is another favorite.  And one should not forget "beta Mons", a beautiful triple in Monceros.   

There are some tricky ones, Polaris is a double with a faint companion.  Alnitak is a fun one, pretty close and unequal, it's in Orion.

Jon 

The only time I’ve noticed strong CA in this is when I’m looking at the full moon around the limb. Slight purple outline but it doesn’t bother me. When I’m looking at planets, stars, and DSOs, I don’t ever notice it. I have seen some double stars and can’t wait to see some more. I think they’re really really cool to look at. I will definitely be checking out the ones you’ve mentioned.

I upgraded my fo user to the GSO 2” Dual Speed. And while right now I have a 1.25” diagonal, it gives me the option to upgrade to a 2” diagonal and get some 2” eyepieces down the road. I can always put a 2” EP directly into the focuser but it’ll probably break my neck and back doing that haha

• Jon Isaacs, BRCoz, dwmedic and 2 others like this

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

I remember reading a book a few years ago where the authors paired their main telescope (a Dob) with a 90/900 refractor for when they had not the time or will to use the larger reflector and were quite fond of it.

A long focus achromat with focal around 900-1000mm is a very nice and capable telescope; beside high power targets I enjoy especially the low-power views of deep sky because of the flat field these telescopes provides.

I like very much to pair them with equatorial mounts: once balanced are silk-smooth to move.

An "upgrade" I would take in consideration is the "clock-drive" for the mount: far from a necessity is nonetheless a very pleasant luxury when are observing for a time the same object, especially if at high power

• Jon Isaacs and James1996 like this

#8 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:14 PM

I've always thought this scope would be a great starter refractor - enough aperture to start pulling in DSOs, CA not bad, good solar system performance, light and relatively inexpensive. Wasnt sure about its mount but you didnt complain so that must be functional.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
  • James1996 likes this

#9 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

I've always thought this scope would be a great starter refractor - enough aperture to start pulling in DSOs, CA not bad, good solar system performance, light and relatively inexpensive. Wasnt sure about its mount but you didnt complain so that must be functional.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

The mount I would say is definitely the weakest component but for a beginner it’s great to learn how to use an GEM style mount. It’s a little wobbly especially when raised up and the DEC Slow motion knob just started to develop a loud squeak. Probably just needs some grease in the gears. I fully plan to upgrade to either an Astroview EQ with polar scope ($279.99) or a Skyview Pro goto ($729.99) if I want goto functionality. But for now it does what I need. I don’t use the DEC a whole lot but that squeak is ferocious haha

• Rich V., Auburn80 and James1996 like this

#10 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

An "upgrade" I would take in consideration is the "clock-drive" for the mount: far from a necessity is nonetheless a very pleasant luxury when are observing for a time the same object, especially if at high power

Already have one on order from Orion. Back ordered until mid March been checking the classifieds but figured I should just buy new ($100) when they’re being listed at $60-70 used.

• Hesiod likes this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

The mount I would say is definitely the weakest component but for a beginner it’s great to learn how to use an GEM style mount. It’s a little wobbly especially when raised up and the DEC Slow motion knob just started to develop a loud squeak. Probably just needs some grease in the gears. I fully plan to upgrade to either an Astroview EQ with polar scope ($279.99) or a Skyview Pro goto ($729.99) if I want goto functionality. But for now it does what I need. I don’t use the DEC a whole lot but that squeak is ferocious haha

A CG-4 would be a good solid mount.  

If you are at all handy with tools, you can make some fixed length wooden legs that will stiffen up the mount.  These are some I made for a Powerseeker 70, you could make them from 2x3's.  Just cut some slots, drill some holes.

Powerseeker 70.jpeg

Jon

• BRCoz, Lewis Cason, eros312 and 4 others like this

#12 rocketsteve

rocketsteve

Messenger

• Loc: DFW, Texas

Posted 31 January 2021 - 02:56 PM

Hey all! I’m pretty new to all this and got a 90mm, 910mm f/10 refractor for Christmas and I have been really enjoying the views. I’ve made some upgrades and I really like what I’ve seen through this so far (Saturn, Jupiter and it’s moons, Mars, Mercury, Uranus, M42/43, the moon, etc). Anybody else own this exact refractor or one with similar specs? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions! Equipment list in signature!

You left one item off your observing list: the Sun.

Astrozap sells a very well made Baader White Light Solar Film filter, mounted in a very nice powder-coated aluminum frame. I have 2 of the Astrozap and an Orion glass solar filter. After using both types of filters, I find the images produced in the film filters to be sharper than the images produced in the glass filters. And, since the Sun is on the move towards Solar Maximum, sunspot activity should be increasing over the next 5 years. IMHO, it's hard to beat a refractor for solar astronomy, whether it be white light or hydrogen-alpha observing.

I estimate the dew sheild on your scope to be about 115mm in diameter. I attached a link to Astrozap, in case you wanted to look at the info and specs.

Congrats on the new telescope. Use it well and use it often. waytogo.gif

https://astrozap.com...t=8277636775980

• Jon Isaacs, Auburn80, James1996 and 1 other like this

#13 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

Astrozap sells a very well made Baader White Light Solar Film filter, mounted in a very nice powder-coated aluminum frame. I have 2 of the Astrozap and an Orion glass solar filter. After using both types of filters, I find the images produced in the film filters to be sharper than the images produced in the glass filters. And, since the Sun is on the move towards Solar Maximum, sunspot activity should be increasing over the next 5 years. IMHO, it's hard to beat a refractor for solar astronomy, whether it be white light or hydrogen-alpha observing.

I estimate the dew sheild on your scope to be about 115mm in diameter. I attached a link to Astrozap, in case you wanted to look at the info and specs.

Congrats on the new telescope. Use it well and use it often. waytogo.gif

https://astrozap.com...t=8277636775980

Yes I never really thought about observing the sun but I will definitely look into it. Could Double or triple my observing time! 

#14 rocketsteve

rocketsteve

Messenger

• Loc: DFW, Texas

Posted 31 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

Yes I never really thought about observing the sun but I will definitely look into it. Could Double or triple my observing time! 

There are a couple of websites you can use to check for any sunspot activity:

http://jsoc.stanford.../images/latest/

https://sohowww.nasc...me/hmi_igr/512/

There are also apps for your phone, so you can check on the go...

Edited by rocketsteve, 31 January 2021 - 03:56 PM.

• Atlanta AstroView 90mm likes this

#15 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:20 PM

Already have one on order from Orion. Back ordered until mid March been checking the classifieds but figured I should just buy new ($100) when they’re being listed at $60-70 used.

I would actually suggest you forego ordering a drive for your EQ-2 mount and go straight for an AstroView mount or the similar Celestron CG-4 mount. Add on a drive kit if you'd like. You will immediately notice the difference in quality. I wouldn't put a penny more into your existing EQ-2 mount.

I strongly second this! Not to heap on too many suggestions for premium equipment onto you, but, as a user of an old Meade Series 390 90mm f/11 achromat, I love my 1.25" Lunt Herschel wedge. The photosphere's granulation just sparkles in a way that I have never really seen with front-mounted filters, and the wedge offers a pale orangy-yellow tone that is true to the Sun's actual color. While the Baader film is great for what it does and the value it delivers, a Herschel wedge is, in my mind, far superior.

The long focal ratio of your 90mm f/10 achromat renders objects like the Sun (safely filtered, of course) with a maximal amount of contrast.

• Auburn80, brlasy1 and Atlanta AstroView 90mm like this

#16 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

The Orion Sky View Pro is superior to the Astro View mount and only $50 more. The SS tubular legs are much more stable than the aluminum legs of the Astro View. You can also add a go-to drive to the SVP or stick with the dual axis drives to save money. They are quite accurate. The Sky View Pro is actually an EQ5 class mount so it is more robust than the CG-4, they are not the same. Your 90mm f/10 will ride really well on the SVP with very little vibration. 

• eros312 likes this

#17 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

The Orion Sky View Pro is superior to the Astro View mount and only $50 more. The SS tubular legs are much more stable than the aluminum legs of the Astro View. You can also add a go-to drive to the SVP or stick with the dual axis drives to save money. They are quite accurate. The Sky View Pro is actually an EQ5 class mount so it is more robust than the CG-4, they are not the same. Your 90mm f/10 will ride really well on the SVP with very little vibration. 

Thank you for your input!! This is why I have been considering the SVP. I think I will upgrade after my next job. Thanks for all this info everybody!! Keep it coming

• paul m schofield likes this

#18 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

Here is my Celestron/Vixen 80mm f/11.4 on my Meade LXD75 mount, an EQ5 mount the same size as the Sky View Pro. I have a home-made Baader Solar Film filter that is great for white light solar viewing. This OTA is the same focal length as your 90mm f/10 and close to the same weight. It rides steady as a rock on this mount. The vibration pads help also. With the motor drive I can comfortably sit down and observe holding my umbrella to keep from getting sun burned in the hot Florida sun. :>)

Attached Thumbnails

• 80mm with sun filter.JPG

• Jon Isaacs, Lewis Cason and brlasy1 like this

#19 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:03 AM

So I purchased a used CG5 Advanced Series GT to trade out my EQ2 mount. First thing I noticed was just how much more stable the scope is. With the goto functionality I think this is going to be great! Hopefully I can align everything properly and get some awesome goto observations!

• Jon Isaacs, Mitrovarr, BRCoz and 3 others like this

#20 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

So I purchased a used CG5 Advanced Series GT to trade out my EQ2 mount. First thing I noticed was just how much more stable the scope is. With the goto functionality I think this is going to be great! Hopefully I can align everything properly and get some awesome goto observations!

I picked up a used one a couple of months ago.  It was a significant upgrade from my SE mount, and is really accurate and stable in pointing and tracking.  I have used a 6SE, AT80ED, and a DSLR/lens combo successfully, and have gotten some decent imagery so far.  It's noisy, though.  

I power it with a Talentcell 6000/12000mah rechargeable battery velcroed to the spreader tray.

#21 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:25 PM

I picked up a used one a couple of months ago.  It was a significant upgrade from my SE mount, and is really accurate and stable in pointing and tracking.  I have used a 6SE, AT80ED, and a DSLR/lens combo successfully, and have gotten some decent imagery so far.  It's noisy, though.  

I power it with a Talentcell 6000/12000mah rechargeable battery velcroed to the spreader tray.

But you’re right when you said it’s noisy but I don’t mind. Screw my neighbors lol they’re loud all the time anyway. Live in the city of Atlanta anything goes really. I just purchased a smaller Celestron Power Tank for it as well as a Power Adaptor to plug in when I’m at home. I’m still having a little trouble with it aligning properly but I think that just comes with time. I was reading about how to use the polar align function in the manual and I think I will try that next time. Seems to be what everybody says works well for them aside from a manual polar scope alignment.

what cable are you using to go to your rechargeable battery? Does that cell have a 12v cig port?

Edited by Atlanta AstroView 90mm, 08 February 2021 - 09:27 PM.

#22 litesong

litesong

Messenger

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

Don’t want to get involved in “aperture fever“, but before spending lots of money on 90mm equipment, occasionally view thru bigger scopes, to see if “bigger” does anything for you. Long a dobsonian user, I had to give up all my big scopes due to health. Years later now, I used the lightest optic that I had & its been good. However, I had an old heavier camera lens(125mm) that is marvelous as a scope, and so far the lens hasn’t put my back out. I do NOT want to have to return to “smaller” due to health and will try hard to continue with 125mm. As one of the neighbors said after viewing thru the camera lens, “The lens gives a sense of reality, smaller scopes don’t convey”.

Even if you do eventually go bigger, don’t get rid of the 90mm.

Edited by litesong, 09 February 2021 - 01:01 PM.

#23 BRCoz

BRCoz

Apollo

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:17 AM

For years I wanted one of these.  I just never did.  It was going to be for my grandkids, it wasn't their cup of tea.  

Once you get the CG5GT setup you will be able to look at many more objects.  

Enjoy the scope.

#24 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

But you’re right when you said it’s noisy but I don’t mind. Screw my neighbors lol they’re loud all the time anyway. Live in the city of Atlanta anything goes really. I just purchased a smaller Celestron Power Tank for it as well as a Power Adaptor to plug in when I’m at home. I’m still having a little trouble with it aligning properly but I think that just comes with time. I was reading about how to use the polar align function in the manual and I think I will try that next time. Seems to be what everybody says works well for them aside from a manual polar scope alignment.

what cable are you using to go to your rechargeable battery? Does that cell have a 12v cig port?

Here's the battery, velcroed to the spreader, and a closeup of the cable that came with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• AB17F6F8-28F9-4E46-B26A-B8638B154B98_1_201_a.jpeg
  • 3441F6ED-B8B5-424F-8545-2F7FA9061876.jpeg

#25 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

Here's the battery, velcroed to the spreader, and a closeup of the cable that came with it.

Oh interesting! You’re using th cable that came with the battery? I guess the battery output is 12v, 2-5A?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics