•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion AstroView 90EQ Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Oh interesting! You’re using th cable that came with the battery? I guess the battery output is 12v, 2-5A?

Here's the label.  It has a USB port, the on/off switch, and the 12v output on the same end.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 315F65FA-6A96-4431-B228-A7B48FCCC0C4_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by brlasy1, 09 February 2021 - 08:52 PM.

• Atlanta AstroView 90mm likes this

#27 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:28 AM

Any thoughts on how well 2” EP’s might fair in this scope? I like the idea of super wide field of views and I know mine will be limited to about 2.80° for 2” based on the barrel width of my scope. Just curious what people’s thoughts are on a 2” diagonal and EPs vs 1.25” diagonal and EPs. Honestly I just like talking about this scope personally ha

#28 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:21 AM

I have one of these badged ' Saxon ' that we get down here , I got it 2nd hand OTA only for $90 delivered . When it arrived I put it on a spare EQ2 I had ( same as your mount ) sitting around and was impressed with the performance !!! almost as good as my ' Saxon ' 102mm f10 !! .

Long story short it now has a LP 10:1 2 inch Crayford focuser , lives on a 1980's Mizar mount , about EQ5 sized on a 2 inch stainless steel Celestron field tripod so all in all its a very good scope , super sturdy , fun to use , gives great views and look's like a 'Real ' telescope .

And she's blue .

To answer your question on using 2 inch eyepieces ,, no problems here .

I will dig a photo out later and post .

Beanerds .

ps. my beautiful Wife has kinda claimed this scope as her own , which is awesone ! 

• Atlanta AstroView 90mm likes this

#29 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Atlanta AV for starting this thread-I have been enjoying it! I was between this scope and an f6.7 achro for my first scope. I went with the shorter one, but always wondered about the Astroview. I now have an older Meade 90mm f8.8 which has the longer focal length “feel” without being shaky on my mount, so it’s a nice compromise. I painted it too! It was a dull silver, but now....

.B3BAB483-7A01-47B2-B54F-281C0FDEDCB3.jpeg

• Lewis Cason, eros312, James1996 and 2 others like this

#30 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Atlanta AV for starting this thread-I have been enjoying it! I was between this scope and an f6.7 achro for my first scope. I went with the shorter one, but always wondered about the Astroview. I now have an older Meade 90mm f8.8 which has the longer focal length “feel” without being shaky on my mount, so it’s a nice compromise. I painted it too! It was a dull silver, but now....

.attachicon.gifB3BAB483-7A01-47B2-B54F-281C0FDEDCB3.jpeg

I like your choice in color! And my mount was so shaky it drove me crazy. I recently bought a CG-5 ASGT to mount it on and OH WOW! It’s so stable now I freaking love it.

I like the color choice for your OTA! It really pops. Also, I guess I should think about adding and e tension pier like you have there so my long refractor isn’t in danger of hitting the mount during goto. Great picture and thanks for sharing!

• erin likes this

#31 erin

erin

Apollo

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

Nice! Glad you upgraded the mount! 

Thanks. I am a sucker for metallic blue grin.gif

Enjoy that scope! 

#32 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:00 AM

Upgraded the mount to cg-5 ASGT. Also did some solar viewing today and saw a huge Sunspot. Did some go-to sky tour tonight to see some DSOs and I got a few picture from my iPhone of the Sun, Orion Nebula, and the moon! This refractor and mount are awesome!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 365B9DB1-B28F-445A-837E-B8B47D66ABB0.jpeg
  • 19216694-5C87-4430-9E8F-E604F2EB3C20.jpeg
  • 135EEC77-7D81-46B1-A7DF-B698F29D6302.jpeg
  • 3721C407-A6A1-40FE-8FF7-305C5E128652.jpeg
  • 5AB0261A-37B8-4B2D-9B89-AC924921EFBF.jpeg

• BRCoz, eros312, paul m schofield and 4 others like this

#33 erin

erin

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:17 AM

Awesome waytogo.gif

#34 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

Upgraded the mount to cg-5 ASGT. Also did some solar viewing today and saw a huge Sunspot. Did some go-to sky tour tonight to see some DSOs and I got a few picture from my iPhone of the Sun, Orion Nebula, and the moon! This refractor and mount are awesome!!

FYI, if you haven't yet, go to Celestron and download the updated CGEM hand control and motor control software.  I updated my motor control drivers (MCUPDATE) to 5.20/5.20, which allows me to set the goto slew rates lower.  It really quiets the motors when it's slewing from a jet like whine down to a tolerable purr.  I saw the info on the CN Celestron Computerized Telescope sub forum.

#35 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

FYI, if you haven't yet, go to Celestron and download the updated CGEM hand control and motor control software.  I updated my motor control drivers (MCUPDATE) to 5.20/5.20, which allows me to set the goto slew rates lower.  It really quiets the motors when it's slewing from a jet like whine down to a tolerable purr.  I saw the info on the CN Celestron Computerized Telescope sub forum.

So funny you mention that because I just updated firmware Friday and changed the “Custom Rate 9” to 1.00. While it may take longer to slew to, it’s SO much quieter. I love it. Last night I got an awesome sky tour in where everything was landing smack in the middle of my eyepiece after a factory reset. 2 star alignment, 4 calibration stars AND polar alignment had that puppy showing me everything!

#36 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:18 PM

So funny you mention that because I just updated firmware Friday and changed the “Custom Rate 9” to 1.00. While it may take longer to slew to, it’s SO much quieter. I love it. Last night I got an awesome sky tour in where everything was landing smack in the middle of my eyepiece after a factory reset. 2 star alignment, 4 calibration stars AND polar alignment had that puppy showing me everything!

Yeah, after dealing with my 4SE mount for several years, the accuracy of the AS-GT is really pleasing.  Like you said, 2/4/polar and objects are near dead center every time.  If you throw in a Precise Go To for a specific object, it's even more accurate. 

Take care.

#37 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, after dealing with my 4SE mount for several years, the accuracy of the AS-GT is really pleasing.  Like you said, 2/4/polar and objects are near dead center every time.  If you throw in a Precise Go To for a specific object, it's even more accurate. 

Take care.

What do you mean precise goto? Is that an additional way of aligning? How and where?

#38 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

I had a question about eyepieces. There are many styles, manufacturers, Focal lengths and AFOV of eyepieces out there. I’m curious to know, to those who are following this thread, if there are specific eyepieces that might be best suited for a 90mm, 910mm focal length, f/10.1 Achromat refractor? for the light path and CA,  Plossls, Kellners, radians, orthoscopics, Naglers? Would I benefit from field flatterers or does my focal ratio keep me covered on that? I’m interested to know what you all think would be the “best” form factor for this setup. I like wide field of views for clusters and DSOs but also love high magnification on planets and the moon/sun.

I do not wear glasses, I am 36 years old and my pupils I think still expand to around the 5-7mm range (also, how do I know? Is this something I find out at an optometrist?). I don’t do astrophotography but I might get into it in a few months. Thinking prime focus method but also interested in variable projection with eyepieces.

I’d like to maximize the usefulness of this telescope with the proper eyepieces.

#39 brlasy1

brlasy1

Vostok 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:00 PM

What do you mean precise goto? Is that an additional way of aligning? How and where?

I recommend you download the manual .pdf from Celestron, if you haven't already.  Lots of interesting features the mount can do.

Precise Go To is a Main menu option you can use after your mount is aligned and calibrated. Scroll up or down until you see it.  Select it, then choose the object you want to look at from one of the lists.  Select it, and the mount will figure out a star really close to the object.  Select it, and the mount will slew to that star.  Center it, hit enter, and the mount will slew to your desired object.  

The point of Precise Go To is to have the telescope slew a very short distance from the precision refining star to your object, which should improve the centering.  I use it a lot for imaging.

#40 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

I recommend you download the manual .pdf from Celestron, if you haven't already.  Lots of interesting features the mount can do.

Precise Go To is a Main menu option you can use after your mount is aligned and calibrated. Scroll up or down until you see it.  Select it, then choose the object you want to look at from one of the lists.  Select it, and the mount will figure out a star really close to the object.  Select it, and the mount will slew to that star.  Center it, hit enter, and the mount will slew to your desired object.  

The point of Precise Go To is to have the telescope slew a very short distance from the precision refining star to your object, which should improve the centering.  I use it a lot for imaging.

That’s awesome. I did read some of that in the manual but I didn’t understand at first. You’ve described it perfectly and I’m going to use that! I was my alignment as perfect as can be

#41 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

That’s awesome. I did read some of that in the manual but I didn’t understand at first. You’ve described it perfectly and I’m going to use that! I was my alignment as perfect as can be

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics