•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" F/5 Objective (from a Cheshire?)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 02 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

In case anyone is interested, here is that 6" F/5 glass that was on eBay a few weeks ago. I ended up getting it after the first buyer backed away, and after seeing it, I am dang happy that I did get it. This is going to make a heck of a nice yard cannon! Now I have to source a good tube and focuser...

Attached Thumbnails

• 6inchObjective1.jpg

• stevew, jim kuhns, steve t and 7 others like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

that looks like a great buy.  Congrats

• mattyfatz, steve t and CltFlyboy like this

#3 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:13 PM

I am truly excited! It's been quite a while since I did any type of ATM building but this is pretty simple since it'll be a short tube refractor.

• mattyfatz and steve t like this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Six-inch F/5 achromat. Nice and big and very fast. Was it formerly used as a telescope objective? I'm guessing that it will perform nicely as a Rich Field sweeper. I'd try a 41mm Panoptic and a 31mm Nagler... if you have those hanging around, views should be nice. It will be loaded with color, but still enjoyable.

Would make sense to first stick it on a board with an eyepiece... just to get some idea of what the image looks like.    Tom

• CltFlyboy likes this

#5 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:31 PM

Right on Tom - I held it up as best I could when I got it an used a 25 IIRC to verify the focal length, but it was daytime. I can't wait for the weather to clear here so I can get it on the sky. I might 3D print a temp cell that I can use to hold it to a board for now just to see...

Edit: I do believe that it was used in a Cheshire scope and was pulled for some reason only God knows.

Edited by CltFlyboy, 02 February 2021 - 01:31 PM.

• mattyfatz and steve t like this

#6 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:44 PM

It looks like a Jaegers lens and cell and will be really nice for taking in

huge field breathtaking views of the heavens.

I have a 6 inch f/5 Newtonian I use for that purpose.

Robert

• mattyfatz, steve t and CltFlyboy like this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:00 PM

I had a 6” F5 refractor! It produced amazing views of the Milky Way! It was like being in a spaceship and looking out the porthole when I took it to dark sites. It was just to big and cumbersome for me to deal with, given the mount I had at the time for it. Put it on a good, sturdy, smooth mount and you’ll have some big fun!

• mattyfatz, clamchip, steve t and 5 others like this

#8 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

I had a 6” F5 refractor! It produced amazing views of the Milky Way! It was like being in a spaceship and looking out the porthole when I took it to dark sites. It was just to big and cumbersome for me to deal with, given the mount I had at the time for it. Put it on a good, sturdy, smooth mount and you’ll have some big fun!

Oh Terra, you are just making me want to get this done sooner rather than later! I have a CGE that I'm looking forward to pairing this up with - that will be a treat. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

Oh Terra, you are just making me want to get this done sooner rather than later! I have a CGE that I'm looking forward to pairing this up with - that will be a treat. 

I might have a tube you can have.  Let me check to see what it looks like.

• mattyfatz, Terra Nova and CltFlyboy like this

#10 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:21 PM

That is from a Cheshire. The lady who sold it is an idiot.

She had the complete scope on CL for $800 and when it didn't sell in a few days,

she started parted it out on ebay. Her descriptions act like it came to her as parts.

I know it's the same scope since she's in the same city.

Scroll down in her sold listings to see what's been sold so far.

https://www.ebay.com...=p2046732.m1684

She's now parting out the mount in a way that it will never sell. 

https://www.ebay.com...usAAOSwfcZgFct1

https://www.ebay.com...sgAAOSwNVZgChLN

https://www.ebay.com...fAAAOSwC3pgFaZD

This is how it looked on CL

Cheshire.jpg  

If you want the Dewshield she's selling that too:

https://www.ebay.com...IUAAOSwY8FgFcIh

Edited by Kasmos, 02 February 2021 - 11:23 PM.

• mattyfatz, catboat, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#11 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:41 AM

I might have a tube you can have.  Let me check to see what it looks like.

Oh man that would be awesome! Just let me know what you want etc, pm me. And THANK YOU!

• mattyfatz likes this

#12 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:44 AM

She had the complete scope on CL for $800 and when it didn't sell in a few days,

she started parted it out on ebay. Her descriptions act like it came to her as parts.

Why is God's earth did she do that to the mount??? That's borderline crazy. I'll never understand the mindset of some eBay sellers who shill everything and anything with no knowledge/research into what they have.

Thanks for the reference pic and post about the dew shield - I'll definitely look at that now.

• mattyfatz, Terra Nova, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#13 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:48 AM

Of course I need to find a great focuser for this too so I can plan the tube length etc. If anyone has recommendations on an appropriate one please let me know. Ideally a 2" I'd think...

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:16 AM

attachicon.gifCheshire.jpg

Grrrrr! She’s dangerous with a screwdriver! 

• steve t and Augustus like this

#15 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:08 PM

Regarding your 6” f/5 achromat with cell – looking at it from the front it does look like a Jaegers due to the 6 air-spacing tabs, each 45 degrees apart around the circumference.  I cannot tell clearly from the side view of the cell if it indeed is a Jaegers cell.  Looks like there is felt or something on one side of the relatively centrally located lip/ridge.

I have a Jaegers 6” f/5 that I assembled back in 1978/79 from new parts obtained from Jaegers – achromat and cell, 7” o.d. tube, 7” o.d. dewshield with a black wrinkle finish, Jaegers focuser with a better than 2 inch drawtube, adapter for the focuser to neck down to 2 inches and a second adapter to neck down to 1.25”.  When built I mounted the scope on a Meade equatorial mount using Meade rings.

As built the tube length was sized long enough to allow me to use the 38 mm 2 inch plus Erfle eyepiece, described as a Kodachrome viewer that Jaegers sold.  As stated the diameter of the focuser drawtube and the eyepiece diameter were bigger than 2 inches.  This combo yielded a huge field of close to 4 degrees.  Due to the length of the tube necessary for use with the big eyepiece straight thru I could not rack in far enough to achieve focus with 1.25” eyepieces even with a diagonal with the only exception being to use a 2x barlow too.  Later Novak introduced what I believe may have been the first 2” diagonal utilizing a galvanized fence right angle fitting and an appropriately sized Newtonian secondary mirror.  Kind of crude looking but it worked well. An adapter was machined for the Jaegers 38 mm Erfle eyepiece to allow it's use in the 2" diagonal.  This allowed me to cut down the tube length (1st overhaul) which then allowed me to use more 1.25” eyepieces with the scope.  As some eyepieces would still not come into focus due to the telescope tube still being too long, the scope went thru it’s 2nd overhaul/modification back in about 1992.  At that time I also replaced the crude wooden discs that served as internal baffles.  They were replaced with Thousand Oaks filter cells which had pretty much the correct O.D. to fit the 7” tube’s I.D.  One was fine as is given correct internal placement.  The second one was stopped down further using a sheet of plastic properly fitted and painted.

The original Jaegers focuser was eventually replaced with one of the early focusers from AstroPhysics.  That focuser was modified with handles as shown.  With the 2nd overhaul I also opted to fit the telescope with a longer dewshield using a new length of tubing available from Hastings.  The telescope aluminum tube length is now 20.5 inches from where the tube butts up against the lip/stop on the objective cell to where it meets the focuser.

I have done some photography using this scope and in spite of the fact that it is a 6” f/5 achromat, the false color is not too bothersome.  Using a Lumicon Deep Sky Filter the blue haloes disappear almost completely.  See comparison of picture of the North American Nebula with and without this filter.

See images.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 6 inch f-5 Jaegers on 3-14-18 - Copy.jpg
  • 6 inch f5 Jaegers on 1-7-10 003a.jpg
  • North American, filtered and not.jpg

Edited by BarrySimon615, 04 February 2021 - 12:14 PM.

• izar187, Jeff B, clamchip and 9 others like this

#16 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:22 PM

Barry,

THANK YOU so much for sharing this. You have really inspired me to do this the right way. Your build looks incredible, better that I expect from even AP etc (if they made one). I appreciate the references to what you did and the lessons learned during the builds. I'm excited to be building this baby and am now doubly excited to see how it performs - CA was indeed a concern but it sounds like it's manageable (and only an issue with astrophotography). I can't wait to get this light cannon going!

• steve t likes this

#17 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:36 PM

Regarding your 6” f/5 achromat with cell – looking at it from the front it does look like a Jaegers due to the 6 air-spacing tabs, each 45 degrees apart around the circumference.  I cannot tell clearly from the side view of the cell if it indeed is a Jaegers cell.  Looks like there is felt or something on one side of the relatively centrally located lip/ridge.

I have a Jaegers 6” f/5 that I assembled back in 1978/79 from new parts obtained from Jaegers – achromat and cell, 7” o.d. tube, 7” o.d. dewshield with a black wrinkle finish, Jaegers focuser with a better than 2 inch drawtube, adapter for the focuser to neck down to 2 inches and a second adapter to neck down to 1.25”.  When built I mounted the scope on a Meade equatorial mount using Meade rings.

As built the tube length was sized long enough to allow me to use the 38 mm 2 inch plus Erfle eyepiece, described as a Kodachrome viewer that Jaegers sold.  As stated the diameter of the focuser drawtube and the eyepiece diameter were bigger than 2 inches.  This combo yielded a huge field of close to 4 degrees.  Due to the length of the tube necessary for use with the big eyepiece straight thru I could not rack in far enough to achieve focus with 1.25” eyepieces even with a diagonal with the only exception being to use a 2x barlow too.  Later Novak introduced what I believe may have been the first 2” diagonal utilizing a galvanized fence right angle fitting and an appropriately sized Newtonian secondary mirror.  Kind of crude looking but it worked well. An adapter was machined for the Jaegers 38 mm Erfle eyepiece to allow it's use in the 2" diagonal.  This allowed me to cut down the tube length (1st overhaul) which then allowed me to use more 1.25” eyepieces with the scope.  As some eyepieces would still not come into focus due to the telescope tube still being too long, the scope went thru it’s 2nd overhaul/modification back in about 1992.  At that time I also replaced the crude wooden discs that served as internal baffles.  They were replaced with Thousand Oaks filter cells which had pretty much the correct O.D. to fit the 7” tube’s I.D.  One was fine as is given correct internal placement.  The second one was stopped down further using a sheet of plastic properly fitted and painted.

The original Jaegers focuser was eventually replaced with one of the early focusers from AstroPhysics.  That focuser was modified with handles as shown.  With the 2nd overhaul I also opted to fit the telescope with a longer dewshield using a new length of tubing available from Hastings.  The telescope aluminum tube length is now 20.5 inches from where the tube butts up against the lip/stop on the objective cell to where it meets the focuser.

I have done some photography using this scope and in spite of the fact that it is a 6” f/5 achromat, the false color is not too bothersome.  Using a Lumicon Deep Sky Filter the blue haloes disappear almost completely.  See comparison of picture of the North American Nebula with and without this filter.

See images.

Barry Simon

great images.  Beautiful scope.

#18 George C.

George C.

Lift Off

• Loc: Monroe, NC

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

Henry... The DarkStar machine shop is at your service. flowerred.gif

• jcruse64 and CltFlyboy like this

#19 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:52 PM

Henry... The DarkStar machine shop is at your service. flowerred.gif

And George finally posts! You know I'm going to take you up on the machine shop, sooner rather than later. We'll talk this weekend!

#20 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 04 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

I too still have my Jaegers 6" f/5 telescope and refuse to ever let go of it.  The views are stunning and pictures I have taken with it I used a 5nm H-Alpha filter. Sharp to the edge.

Attached Thumbnails

• Horsehead1.jpg

Edited by Awesomelenny, 04 February 2021 - 04:46 PM.

• izar187, Jeff B, starman876 and 8 others like this

#21 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

Wow! Nice shot! I don't plan on this one ever leaving my paws either. SCTs and others that can be bought can be sold, but this is a one of a kind like a few of my others. I can't wait to have this in my aresenal.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#22 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:08 PM

Al Jaegers knew his stuff:

https://www.cloudyni...ollection-r2918

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 04 February 2021 - 09:09 PM.

• izar187, steve t, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#23 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:35 PM

I recently traded for a Jaegers 5 inch f/5 cemented objective and it bench tested

DPAC as a prefect lens. I was surprised to see such a fast vintage lens and a cemented

one pass so beautifully.

Robert

• Jeff B, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#24 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:27 AM

I recently traded for a Jaegers 5 inch f/5 cemented objective and it bench tested

DPAC as a prefect lens. I was surprised to see such a fast vintage lens and a cemented

one pass so beautifully.

Robert

I feels so good to see those nice straight lines when testing an objective.  On the other hand it feels so bad when you do not get those straight lines.

• steve t likes this

#25 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:08 AM

one pass so beautifully.

Robert

When you get straight lines in DPAC when testing an objective that means that the spherical aberration is well corrected. With fast lens like 5" f/5 or 6" f/5  and being an achromat it  still has a huge amount of chromatic aberration that is worse then 1/2 wave. So the POLYchromatic wavefront is still around 1/2 wave or worse.  With a lens ones has to  take into account both spherical aberration and chromatic aberration  to determine the total performance.   A singlet lens can test perfect in monochrome light in DPAC but as we know has a huge amount of chromatic aberration. So just keep that in mind. These larger aperture fast achromats do make for nice Richest Field scope when used at low power. 

- Dave 

• steve t, Terra Nova and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics