•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" F/5 Objective (from a Cheshire?)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

Update - the small thing excite me beyond measure. I secured the objective to the tube and added several layers of gaffers tape to the focuser so I could get it to stay put in the tube. Took it out last night and, oh my, M42 pops out like never before (using a 30mm 80 degree 2" eyepiece). I almost gasped when I saw it - definite greenish tint to the nebula and the Trapezium easily resolved. Wow wow wow. I had to take a pic just to prove it to myself (thru a handheld cell phone). All this using a very kludgey "mounting" I did by strapping it to the back of a C8 (resting against the spotter). Actually worked quite well.

Also, since this project is moving along, I need to fins a cradle for it, the OTA is exactly 6" OD. If anyone has one they want to part with, please ping me with what you have and what you want for it. Looking for something like this (for a 6.1" tube):

https://explorescien...e-for-dar-152mm

And here's the crappy pic to prove it works!

Attached Thumbnails

• M42 2021-02-23 (Med).jpg

• clamchip, steve t, deepwoods1 and 1 other like this

#77 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted Yesterday, 08:48 AM

Where are you located? I may have a few sets of rings or even a Tak TOA 130 clamshell that I could sell. Will measure when I get home.

Barry Simon

#78 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Hey Barry - definitely let me know what you have. I'm leaning towards a cradle/clamshell but could go with a set of rings since it'll be mounted to a Losmandy plate anyway. I'm up in the Charlotte, NC area. Dad is from near you, Gulfport MS :-)

#79 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

At the airport now head to Dallas. Have to retrieve my car which we left there last week. I am in New Orleans. Text me tomorrow evening and remind me to measure. 504 481-2450. Thanks!

Barry
  • CltFlyboy likes this

#80 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

At the airport now head to Dallas. Have to retrieve my car which we left there last week. I am in New Orleans. Text me tomorrow evening and remind me to measure. 504 481-2450. Thanks!

Barryr nu

Cool, copied your number, you can delete from the post for security.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics