Some of you may be familiar with my planetary work in the
Solar System Imaging & Processing Major and Minor Planetary Imaging forum, but I have also done occasional deep sky imaging. My father and I have been doing some through our AT115EDT for a few years now, but this post is about my own messing around with a C8 EdgeHD. I hope to do some more serious DSO work with it in the future, but the focus right now is on getting a feel for how equipment like this should be operated.
Right now, I am doing tests with a Starlight Xpress SXVR-H674C and Celestron 0.7x focal reducer, which are currently joined together with the visual back that came with the C8. I doubt the camera is at the proper back focus position of 105mm with the reducer, but this is something I plan to address once I have a concrete vision for what the final configuration will be.
I find it nearly impossible to achieve good color balance with this camera, especially on galaxies. A few workflows have been attempted in PixInsight over the past few days, but no luck so far. I suspect this is more likely due to improper processing on my part, but I have ran out of ideas on how to solve this issue. Perhaps I can put out a sample of the data if someone else want too take a look.
Another sticking point in my experimentation has been the Advanced VX I use with the C8. This mount has been great for planetary imaging the past 7 years, but the same can't be said when it comes to deep sky imaging at F/7. I ended up discarding 40 out of 120 frames because of tracking issues.
Celestron C8 EdgeHD, 0.7x Focal Reducer, Advanced VX, Starlight Xpress SXVR-H674C,