•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Development/scanning advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Saturn

Sega Saturn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:05 PM

Hello all,
I've recently taken my first roll of astro on film with my Pentax super program and kodak gold 200. I've read that scanning and post production is very important with film astrophotography. Has anyone gone through thedarkroom.com for their development/scans? I usually go through them for my normal daytime shots but wasn't sure if they would mess up the astro shots. If not the darkroom.com, any other places people would recommend? I should also add I have Photoshop and Lightroom and can do edits to the scans as well.

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

I have either gone in person to a pro lab or done home development for all my film work.

If you are going to send it out you need to tell them "Do Not Cut the Film" as most places will cut in a non frame edge area..  lol bawling.gif

#3 Sega Saturn

Sega Saturn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:13 AM

I have either gone in person to a pro lab or done home development for all my film work.

If you are going to send it out you need to tell them "Do Not Cut the Film" as most places will cut in a non frame edge area..  lol bawling.gif

Thanks for the reply, I do have a pro lab in my area I have been meaning to try out. Just tell them the film has astro shots and to not cut the negatives? Tricky part for me is I don't have my own scanner so I'm reliant upon some lab or service to get the negatives scanned for now.

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:40 AM

They do not have to cut them to scan them. If you show them a astro image they will understand why you dont want it cut.

Even when using a loupe on a light table it can be hard to see the edge of the frames.

When shooting you can use a dim light to light flash a frame between each exposure then they will have an easier time finding the frame edges.

• Joe F Gafford likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics