•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Great Surprise in S&T

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

In the October issue of Sky and Tel on page 83, author Dennis di Cicco displays his 10" and 12" Meade Lightbridge alongside his classic 6" f9 newtonian built by author Allyn J. Thompson sixty years ago and featured in his book 'Making Your Own Telescope'. I've always wondered what happened to some of the fine old telescopes featured in publications such as Mr. Thompson's, ATM 1,2,3 and others, and it is nice to see that this one survives. I wonder if Mr. Di Cicco would ever write a review of it? (Does Dennis post here?)

I myself own a lesser known piece of S&T fame, an 8" f26 Cassegrain built by Walter Leight and featured in the January 1946 S&T issue. Rob Wiederrich, also here on CN, owns a 6" f15 built by him and his father with lens ground by Art DeVaney. His telescope was shown in an issue of S&T in the mid-70's. Does anyone else here also own a scope with some sort of 'claim to fame' associated with it?

Keith

#2 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

You mean, aside from being previously owned by Hitler.....?

Jess Tauber

#3 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Back in the late 80's, Sky and Tel did an article on how to test mirrors via the Foucault test and using a computer program written in BASIC in their "Computers in Astronomy" column to reduce the results. They used the mirror from Thompson's telescope as a test case and gave a review of the telescope. The mirror turned out to be very good.
- Dave

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

You mean, aside from being previously owned by Hitler.....?

Jess Tauber

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Jess, you are a crack-up.

Keith

#5 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• 1131006-THOMPSON, ALLYN - BOOK.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics