•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lacus Mortis and Harold Hill

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Proton Flipper

Proton Flipper

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Tx

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:06 PM

In Mr. Hill’s classic A Portfolio of Lunar Drawings he sketched Lacus Mortis (Lake of Death) near complete sunset. He comments that long shadows from the western peaks grow with changing direction, presumably due to the local topography. Yet, to him it seemed there was nothing visible to effect those strong directional changes. He encouraged continued study of the area in the interest of understanding the complex floor of Lacus Mortis. Remember, this was in the mid 1980’s long before we had the very high detail imagery available today.

As a result of reading his discussion I added Lacus Mortis to my list of special points of interest. One early morning October 7, 2020 I took afocal video through my f/10 8” SCT and 9mm eyepiece. 25% of roughly 1000 frames were stacked with Autostakkert3. Unsharp masking and final processing were made with PSE.  My images are displayed with south north at the bottom to match Hill’s presentation. Although dark due to the low sun I see the “bending” of shadows as they approach crater Burg to the east.

I don’t have a full understanding of this “phenomenon” but suspect the apparent bending is a result of two intersecting shadows. I made a sunset animation using NASA’s SVS Dial-A-Moon, but the hourly increments are too coarse for the rapidly changing view.

James

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201007 Lacus Mortis and Harold  Hill3.jpg

Edited by Proton Flipper, 07 February 2021 - 09:57 AM.

• Achernar, Carl Kolchak, Kenny V. and 6 others like this

#2 larrytOMC200

larrytOMC200

Messenger

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:54 AM

Very interesting comments and good illustration of the quality of H. Hills work. A good correlation apparent there. Thank you for sharing!  Larry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics