•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nightshift for Android 16 comes with a sky view

charts dso observing planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Waddensky

Waddensky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

I've just rolled out the latest release of Nightshift for Android to all users. Nightshift 16 adds a sky view/star chart feature that allows you not only to see tonight's sky but also to recreate the sky of the past and future. You can pan around and zoom in and out with the usual gestures, 'remove' the atmosphere to see the daylight sky and enable Telrad circles to assist with finding faint deep-sky objects. The sky view is fully functional in night mode, very useful to preserve your dark adaptation at night.

You can download the latest release of Nightshift here.

20210208_162703.jpg

The new sky view is deeply integrated in the rest of the app. All observable celestial events now have a sky view icon:

20210208_161556.jpg

When tapped, the sky view opens right at the time the event can be best observed, centered on the event:

20210208_161530.jpg

Further improvements include a better notifications opt-in, improved observing advice for conjunctions and a few bug fixes. Let me know what you think!

Want to try out the new release? Nightshift for Android can be downloaded here.

• tjay likes this

#2 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:20 AM

It's YOU I have to thank for this awesome software?  Thanks!!!!  I especially love the ability to have alerts that tell me if it's time to start getting ready for my AP, but is it possible to have those alerts be more than just 3 hours in advance?  As in, if it looks like there will be a window of opportunity between certain times within a set range in the next 24 hours, send an alert?  Those times would be configurable, of course!  This is a great piece of software though as is, and I thank you again!

• Waddensky likes this

#3 Waddensky

Waddensky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:43 PM

Thanks very much, AstroPotamus! Really appreciated smile.gif.

Great suggestion, I'll take that idea with me for one of the next releases. It would be a bit tricky though to send an alert for a clear night long in advance, as the weather forecast could change in the meantime. What's your take on that? Notify with a warning or a snooze option for example?

#4 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

I was thinking of being able to set alerts X hours in advance of a window that occurs between A and B, within 24 hours.  So for instance, if it's winter where I live and the skies are dark at 5:00pm, then I would like an alert for clear skies between 8pm-10pm, but I want that alert to come at 8:00am so I have time to plan.

On the other hand, in summer, when it doesn't get dark until 10:00pm, I want to change the alerts to be for clear window between 4am-6am but I want the alert to come 20 hours earlier at 10:00am the previous day.

Does that make sense?  In mathematical terms, if the skies will be clear between A and B, then allow me to send an alert A-X hours earlier, where X<=24.

• Waddensky likes this

#5 Waddensky

Waddensky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:32 AM

Does that make sense?  In mathematical terms, if the skies will be clear between A and B, then allow me to send an alert A-X hours earlier, where X<=24.

Absolutely, great idea. Shouldn't be that difficult to implement. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charts, dso, observing, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics