•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Could this work for EAA

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#26 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:41 PM

Bill

Lots of good info above

Here's another useful starting point  https://www.californ...ted-in-eaa.html

A couple of random thoughts

Be careful about astrographs.  Some are not suitable for visual use.  Check before you buy.

If you want to do planetary, the you'll want the ability to go to f20 or 30.  This is one reason that 8" Schmidt Cassegrains are popular -  they have good light grasp, and can be made to operate between f2 and f30 rather easily.  Well, f/2 gets pricey ($1,000 for a hyper star).

john

#27 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Longview, WA

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

The lady has decided, we are going with an 8 inch  scope and the zwo asi294mc pro cooled camera. The DSO images on this site really interested her. she wants to see the planets also. she is getting very excited for the equipment and the summer to get here. She realizes we will have a lot of reading and learning ahead of us.  Thank you to all who provided help, suggestions and inspiration.

we will be staying in touch

Bill and Dawna

• Jeff Lee, nic35, roelb and 3 others like this

#28 GoFish

GoFish

Vanguard

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

Excellent. Which 8” did you settle on?

#29 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:16 PM

The lady has decided, we are going with an 8 inch  scope and the zwo asi294mc pro cooled camera. The DSO images on this site really interested her. she wants to see the planets also. she is getting very excited for the equipment and the summer to get here. She realizes we will have a lot of reading and learning ahead of us.  Thank you to all who provided help, suggestions and inspiration.

we will be staying in touch

Bill and Dawna

Great choice!! That ASI294MC Pro is a fantastic EAA camera and one of the best out there for EAA.

Steve

• Ptarmigan likes this

#30 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:19 PM

Good luck with your choice!

#31 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

Excellent. Which 8” did you settle on?

She likes the Orion Sirius 8EQ-G goto reflector. and the asi294 mc pro cooled camera. Once we figure everything out She hopes for good nebula and galaxy pictures to look at.  at least she is understanding the learning curve needed and we may need more accessories. She also understands that the video will not be as good as most of the pictures she see on line.

• GoFish likes this

#32 GoFish

GoFish

Vanguard

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:27 PM

She likes the Orion Sirius 8EQ-G goto reflector. and the asi294 mc pro cooled camera. Once we figure everything out She hopes for good nebula and galaxy pictures to look at.  at least she is understanding the learning curve needed and we may need more accessories. She also understands that the video will not be as good as most of the pictures she see on line.

It will take a bit of fiddling to master focusing and pointing, particularly focusing. Once you have it figured out you will get some incredible images with that mount/scope/camera combo. My best live view ever of the M87 jet came from that tube!

Something I’ve done that helps with focus is to measure and record the focal plane of each of my Newts and write the measurement on a piece of tape on the tube near the focuser. Pick any convenient fixed point on the focuser and measure using a folding rule (in mm). 

One way to find the focal plane is to stretch a white tissue across the end of the focuser (no eyepiece) and project an image of the moon on the tissue. Get the projected image in focus, then make the measurement. 

Then before each session do a rough prefocus with the camera using the recorded measurement. You will be shocked at the way a bright object smack dab in the center of the view will completely disappear when the camera isn’t focused!

#33 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

I disagree, the QHY5III462  is better than the asi224 for starting off in EAA nowdays, also dont need an eq mount, can be done live with an alt alz, which to me is more convenient. The QHY is the more modern chip, the 224 chip is becoming old now. QHY keep up with the latest tech. There is the QHY5III485, and the chip is much bigger and 4x that I think of the asi224.

The imx 460 is the replacement now for the imx chip, which is still great, but has been superceded  The only time you need an eq mount is if your doing astrophotography, so don't see EAA as being astrophotography but in between visual and astrophotography. If your not saving frames to pc to stack later dont need an eq mount.

I let sharpcap do the live stacking in real time, dont save anything to pc till I am happy, then click save as dingle png image as seen onscreen.

So not saving individual frames to try and process later as this becomes a headache and field rotation needs to be taken care of, live stacking only does not

Edited by robodan, 24 February 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#34 Rickster

Rickster

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

I disagree, the QHY5III462  is better than the asi224 for starting off in EAA nowdays, also dont need an eq mount, can be done live with an alt alz, which to me is more convenient. The QHY is the more modern chip, the 224 chip is becoming old now. QHY keep up with the latest tech. There is the QHY5III485, and the chip is much bigger and 4x that I think of the asi224.

The imx 460 is the replacement now for the imx chip, which is still great, but has been superceded 

Is this your theory, or your experience?

#35 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:21 PM

No, seen a review and one person here has also said

http://cosmic-colors...iii462c-review/

Edited by robodan, 24 February 2021 - 06:23 PM.

#36 Rickster

Rickster

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:43 PM

I think you are speculating.

The website that you linked doesn't provide any evidence supporting your claims.

#37 robodan

robodan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

well its a newer chip and if you read about it, its more senstive than the chip in the asi224, not speculation. look up the chip yourself

#38 Rickster

Rickster

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:39 PM

Here are some things you will learn as you get some more experience.  Specs don't tell the whole story.  Claims tend to be exaggerated.  Experience beats theory. Chasing the newest thing is expensive.  Tried and true is hard to beat. 

If you really want to convince us that the 462 is better than the 224, buy them both, run some tests, and present your results.

• Bean614 likes this

#39 DanH.264

DanH.264

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:19 PM

Why all the theoretical comparison between two different sensors from two different manufacturers, when they both make a 462 model?  

FWIW, when inward focus is a concern, the imagers that place the sensor in the eyepiece barrel are preferable to the designs that have a backspacing.

#40 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

Interesting suggestions, My wife has decided on the ASI294 pro cooled camera. Since she is the driving force for EAA, so she can see what is out there, I would need to find more information, and examples of DSO's. I am still learning, reading and looking at examples of other people's video and photos. we will order the camera and a scope in a couple of weeks.  Nothing is set in stone until the order date.

#41 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:43 AM

My wife is asking if there is a formula or information somewhere, that explains how focal length and diameter of the tube affects the camera image. I think it has something to do with the sensor size and what will be visible to the sensor. I am not a photographer, so I am guessing and unable to give her an adequate answer.

#42 GoFish

GoFish

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:46 AM

My wife is asking if there is a formula or information somewhere, that explains how focal length and diameter of the tube affects the camera image. I think it has something to do with the sensor size and what will be visible to the sensor. I am not a photographer, so I am guessing and unable to give her an adequate answer.

http://celestialwond...eScaleCalc.html

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#43 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

Thank you.  The second link really helped her understand the numbers.

#44 GoFish

GoFish

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

She is asking all the right questions. I predict EAA success for you guys. 

#45 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

the 294 an eqmount and 8 inches is a nearly perfect setup IMO.  it bridges the gap between frustration and fantastic.

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#46 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:32 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that it might be "educational" to show the kids the difference in what you can see through an eyepiece with the same telescope vs camera and laptop on the same target. I say educational, because it will lead to questions about how the camera/laptop view can remove the sky background, and why live stacking improves the view with time.  Depending on the age of your kids, learning about the "how" this all works could spark some interest - more so than just looking at a pretty picture.smile.gif

I got so busy with the tech side and failed to add this part.  Three sons and one daughter. Seven grand kids ranging from 5 to 17 years, 4 girls and 3 boys. so far they seem interested.

#47 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

Regarding the (good) advice to look at astrograhs, be aware that most of them are f/4.

In my experience, collimating a Newt at f/4 is an order of magnitude more challenging, and more necessary, than f/5.  If you don’t mind picking up a good barlowed laser, or cheshire/autocollimator kit, for your f/4 then you will be fine. 

And, for me, the coma (comet-looking stars around the perimeter) at f/5 is tolerable. At f/4, it is not OK for me without a coma corrector. (I must be an f/5 Newt kinda guy since I own and really like 3 of them.)

I can vouch for the stock focuser on the OMNI XLT 150 Newt having adequate travel for an ASI294MC Pro camera, just FWIW. The OMNI 150 is not an astrograph. I miss having a 2-speed focuser, but I can get by without it. 

Concerning the Orion Sirius 8 EQ-G GoTo Reflector Telescope, what are some recommendations on a comma corrector. I  am thinking about later on, after we learn more and see the initial results

#48 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:26 PM

I got so busy with the tech side and failed to add this part.  Three sons and one daughter. Seven grand kids ranging from 5 to 17 years, 4 girls and 3 boys. so far they seem interested.

With all those kids, you will be kept busy if they stay interested.

• ram812 likes this

#49 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:55 PM

I thought I'd give my quick .02. My setup consist of the XT10, CGEM, Orion G3 OSC, and Orion USB Eyepiece cam2 for planets. I have a laptop that I focus/control everything including guider outside, switch over to powered USB2 50' and hookup inside in comfort. Recently added cat5 directly from mount to HC, rs232 and usb converter for control at laptop. Except for setup and take down (Heavy mount) I wouldn't change this for anything. You see, my other half is disabled but loves astro and seeing what I'm seeing. Usually though she doesn't see until early in the morning after I've processed the nights' take!
I did pick up a Starizona Landing Pad/Sonotube/concrete/etc. to mount the CGEM permanently in a ROR out front. That will make things so much easier. And I have the aperture to go quite deep, so not finding objects on a clear night never happens. I love eyepiece time, too! Jupiter and several of it's moons are clearly visible in a 34mm Plossel.
Moon is crazy. So no matter what you end up doing ,good luck, but I would absolutely regret NOT picking up the XT10 and CGEM. I've used the combo for 8 years now with no Hypertune (Yet!) and no faults (Not created by yours,truly!). Oh, I'm 58 and can still carry that all out and down some stairs out front to my current tri-pod pad that's wind/light and critter proof.Good luck with your choice. I'm not looking back.
CS, Ralph

Edited by ram812, 28 February 2021 - 08:59 PM.

#50 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:56 AM

As a first attempt, The wife was very surprised. She liked what she was seeing, and shocked the moon was moving so fast. I was a little late in getting the screenshot.

I was using a 50mm guide scope on a camera tripod with an ASI120MM mini camera. I also used the ASI software for this attempt.  When the Scope and 294 camera arrive I will be changing to Sharpcap.

Dawna is happy and can't wait to get the rest of the equipment.

Screenshot (7).png

• Shaney and dcweaver like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics